Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint wash

I have and use the above listed product as well, but sometimes it is too blue for my taste.

There are several other pre-made options but be careful as some are solvent based, just be careful what you are using. Solvent over waterbased is OK, water based over anything is OK, some enamels over Laq OK, just be sure to test. Some great stuff from AK INeteractive etc, but they are pricey.

That being said, Polyyscale also has premade washes in both water based, and enamel in several different shades, but not a true black, more like grime, dirt etc.

Polly%20Scale%20Black%20Wash.jpg

I know you said you did not have luck making your own, BUT... try using Pollyscale Engine black. It is water based, make as much or little as you need etc. And it has a nice final finish. I use LOADS of this stuff, when used alone has a nice flat/dull finish to it. I swear, this stuff mixes nice and easy to whatever degree of darkness you need.

flof414290.jpg

Finally you can use some brands of artist oils, thinned with mineral spirits, again this gives you smoe options for overcoating without harming the base color.

Good luck!

Polly Scale paints are really nice to work with - thin with some distilled water and you can airbrush - thin a little more and you can use as a wash...

Why use not tap water?

Just wondering...

Edited by zenrat

Why use not tap water?

Just wondering...

I only do what the little bottle tells me...

I also have the Citadel products and use them a lot - they produce a flat finish vs the gloss from The Detailer.

There seems to be a flourish of new/newer "wash" type paints recently as I have seen a selection at Hobby Lobby, a couple from Vallejo, some others too