Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell '32 Ford 5-window coupe

I know I'm stoked! Cain't have too many vintage hemis, far as I'm concerned. OR steelies with trim rings!

What's interesting is that Revell did up an entirely new set of wide-white rubber and steel wheels for the most recent '31 Ford sedan and '29 Ford pickup reissues - I believe these were also included in a t-bucket rat rod kit. Those wheels and tires would look great on this deuce (or any of the others), but I think Revell would have had to re-engineer the axle bosses to accept them.

Hmeh, well. BRING IT!

Yes is there a release date?Also like to see a stock grill new rear end and also why didnt they just use the wheels from the revell rat rod kits Those are great ! Looks like another trip to rep& min and picking up a few of these kit too!

• 2 months later...

Got a chance to spend some quality time today with an early kit from the production run of Revell's new '32 Ford Five Window.

First impressions - the body casting looks perfect. The top does not appear to be chopped. The trunk area is cast open with a recessed ledge. The kit includes two trunk lids - smoothed and louvered, and three sets of hood sides - stock '32 Ford, smooth, and louvered. There's a four piece Moon Tank and front nerf bars, and a new set of '50 Pontiac style plated tailamps. Decals are Revell's usual fine effort, with some very stylized pinstriping decals, a "devil" figure for the grille blank

The interior has new side panels and seats with nicely done tuck'n'roll. The regular Revell '32 series IP, steering column and wheel are included, along with a new narrowed '40 Ford IP and '40 Ford steering wheel/column. There's a Piston shift lever for the Hemi (which is has a manual transmission), and three different gauge decals for the '40 Ford Instrument cluster. The old kit firewall is there, but they newly engraved the backside (that faces the interior) with a matching tuck'n'roll pattern!

Moving onto the new engine, it appears very similar to an early Hemi, and is really nicely done with 25 parts in total. Both the valley cover and the intake manifold are chromed, which should lead to some very sharp engines. The Valley cover and the valve covers have engraved ribbing. The water pump is two-pieces. The headers and their seperate header flanges are chromed. The engine appears much sharper than some of the published images of the early prototype builds. The stock 5.0L Ford with four barrel and "Ford Motorsport" valve covers is still there, now joined by the EFI two-piece manifold and air intake/filter from the Dan Fink Speedwagon, with new engraving, PLUS a second set of newly tooled 5.0L valve covers with fine ribbed engraving. That's a total of three engine versions.

The chassis carries over, but with two new parts every street rod builder has been wishing for - a great set of front hairpin radius rods. (I openly campaigned for these with my Revell contacts; they told me I was probably too late in requesting them. Thank goodness they found a way!). Those Five Spoke Americans are still there, plus the no-name big'n'little tires, this time with wide whitewalls on the decal sheet. A new set of open steel rims, with optional hub covers and trim rings, is included.

From what I understand, the production run is well underway and the first kits should be reaching the domestic distribution channels in about four to six weeks. I can't wait to get underway building this new one!

Best regards....TIM

Wow..seems revell really did there homework, not that they didnt in the past, but I mean they really made it appeal to the hot rod builders! I hope the new releases this year will follow with the same homework to there interpreted genre.

So where getting steel wheels instead of the spoked wheels from the sedan? sweeet!

Guest promodmerc

If only they would have included a flat head :lol: the 5.0 is way overdone. I have a lifetime supply of them. No they are not up fpr grabs. ;)

Guest promodmerc
What's wrong with the one in the '32 sedan?

Nothing, but I don't want to have to spend another $25 just to get a flathead when Revell should have included it with the 5 window.

From the "Answer to the Question that Nobody Asked" Dept:

I wish ALL newly tooled models would include the "option" to build the car factory stock. I don't care what other versions are offered, hot rod, drag, donk, whatever... but there should ALWAYS be the parts included to build the car stock (unless the car is a show rod or a race car, or something that can't be built "stock"). Just my opinion...

Guest promodmerc

I wish ALL newly tooled models would include the "option" to build the car factory stock. I don't care what other versions are offered, hot rod, drag, donk, whatever... but there should ALWAYS be the parts included to build the car stock (unless the car is a show rod or a race car, or something that can't be built "stock"). Just my opinion...

Excelent point Harry. They include a stock hood but no stock build option.

AMT did 3 in 1's. When is Revell going to learn, or is it just greed? I'm willing to bet sometime in the not to distant future Revell will issue a factory stock 32 5 window and it will not include any of the other options.

I would have to agree with Harry. If you wanted to build any version of Revell's '32s factory stock at this point you'd have to combine it with AMT's '34 5 Window coupe in order to get close to the way the car rolled off the assembly line. Give us a true 2n1 kit. Not that I'm going to boycott the '32 5 Window, but stock pieces would be fantastic to have as well.

Dave, you are 100% correct about the wheels and tires from the '29 and '31, give us those as a separate parts pack. I don't need anymore '29 pickups bought just for the tires and wheels.

The funny thing is, I guarantee that had Revell released its original '32 3-window kit as a stocker, the cries of "Why didn't they include any modern street rod parts in this blankety-blank kit?" would have been deafening.

That's my point. I wish this kit had the parts to build either a stock or customized version.

Economically doable? Don't know, but I'm just saying it would be nice. It's far easier for a modeler to take a model that contains a stock version and "customize" it to his heart's content with new wheels, engines, etc., than to take a model that only offers a "street rod" version and scratchbuild a stock engine, interior, chassis, wheels, etc. There are so many different modern street rod parts floating around already, taking a stock kit and rodding it is a no-brainer. But try to build a stock '32 from a "street rod" kit... :D

Oh well, like Aerosmith sez... dream on... ;)

Just when I think I've grown tired of this kit- BAM- Revell does it again!

Now I will soon have a case or six of THESE to go with my roadsters, three-windows, and sedans.

I don't think these were "kits of the millennium"like a lot of guys do, but they are very good. They've become like Kryptonite to me- I am powerless in their presence!

(BTW- I think the old Palmer Model Ts were the REAL kits of the millennium! Why? Because I haven't slept in six or seven days, and the idea is really beginning to make sense. That, and the refrigerator told me so!)

Guest promodmerc
A lot of those modern street rod parts didn't exist before Revell released its '32 3-window, though. IIRC, the last all-new contemporary street rod kit prior to it was the AMT '33 sedan, which had a grossly inaccurate body and front and rear suspension components that didn't really lend themselves to kitbashing.

The thing with the '32 Ford is, too, I believe the case can be made that it has a greater legacy as a hot rod than it does as a stocker. To wit: How many restored-stock Deuces vs. street rod Deuces do you see at car shows?

For those of us that build or might be interested in building a jalopy we want a stock suspension and a flathead. Not everyone builds srteet rods.On a short track only forum I'm on there are a few others there that refuse to buy the 32 5 window due to the fact that there is not a flathead included so I'm not the only one that feels Revell dropped the ball.

The 5.0 has become the new 350 Chevy. Everyone and their brother has one. BORING!

I have never said I wasn't happy to see the 32 5 window just that I feel the ball was dropped by not putting the flathead in the kit.

I agree with Dan.

I'm not arguing the financial aspect of the decision, I'm sure there are bigger brains than mine making the marketing decisions at Revell. I'm just saying it sure would have been nice to have the option of a stock version.

Just think of all the variations a reasonably clever modeler could build from one single kit:

Stock, either factory fresh/restored or old and weathered, rat rod, vintage salt flats car, backyard hot rod, mild custom, hi-boy, street rod, low-budget drag car, etc. The possibilities would have been endless... if only the parts to build a stock version had been included. :(

Guest Davkin

I'd definatly pay an extra $5 for a stock option, but how many would? Heck, I'd pay the extra just to have a more traditional hot rod suspension. The hairpins are a nice move in the right direction but hairpins are easy enough to make on my own. I'm currently building a Revell '32 Sedan and looked closely at marrying the AMT '34 suspension with it, didn't take long to decide I don't need that much headache right now.

David

Guest promodmerc
The fact of the matter is, though, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, you and others who would want to build the '32 five-window as anything other than a street rod are a decided minority. If Revell made the kit strictly to appeal to that particular segment of its market, it would not make money on it, it would lose money. Simple as that.

Sorry, I just really hate to see this kit getting raked over the coals before it has even been released for the usual message board BS ... not making it exactly the way a few people wanted it, and having the temerity to charge more than $5 for it.

I'm not bashing the kit. I'm bashing Revell's decission of not putting the flathead in it. I'm all for the early hemi in the kit. I'm just sick of seeing the 5.0 in every 32 ford kit. Revell was smart & put the flathead in the sedan kit. Why not the 5 window?

So ... other than stock, obviously, which of those variants you've mentioned can't you already build from any Revell '32 Ford kit?

Come to think of it, I've probably seen at least one example of just about everything you've mentioned there, Harry.

A stock version would have been real nice, that's all I'm saying. So like in "real life", you could start with a stock '32 and deviate from stock in any degree you wanted to, from minor tweaks to full-blown custom... or keep it stock. I'm not bashing the kit or Revell... heck, these days ANY new kit is welcome. I just wish that the kit allowed for a stock version.

Hey, I'm just a kid with a dream! :)

good to hear that the top is not chopped! the aftermarket can fill that desire for those wishing for one or chop one themselves. i didn't see you mention what kind of intake we were getting on the Hemi besides that it's chromed. is this a multi-carb deal? what kind of air cleaners are there too? the 5-window is my favorite body style, i'll be in for a few of these at least!

Dave

Dave....the intake manifold is a slightly raised dual quad style....the carbs are dual four barrels...fairly small in size...and the air cleaners are small nostalgic style ones that just cover the carb throats.

TIM

I respectfully disagree as to what Revell "should" have done in this instance. Nice as the flattie is, I am grateful the company decided to provide us with an additional engine option for the '32 series. Not to mention the fact that we also get the EFI intake for the 5.0, which hasn't been available since the Speedwagon was discontinued, PLUS a new set of 5.0 valve covers!

I agree that it would've been nice to have had the flattie as the second engine option. However, when you look at the bigger picture, you can see that Revell has done with this kit exactly what it did with the sedan _ provide builders with the option of using a vintage or a modern mill.

Works for me! I personally believe this kit's going to contain an embarrassment of riches!

Ken,,,I completely agree with you here. Whenever Revell has asked for my input on additional variations on the '32 series, I've always responded that the key to continued success is to include BOTH nostalgia-themed versions AND the modern powertrain/chassis setup. (Not everyone buying their newest kits has built the previous versions). And the 5.0L Ford is SO much more appropriate than another SBC (or at least until we get about 15 newly tooled Camaro kits with Ford engines in them (smile). Plus I believe that most of us are really going to like the SEFI and newly tooled valve covers for the 5.0L.

Dan....understand your point. I love that '32 sedan flathead too...it's my favorite above all others except for the Revell '40 Ford kit flatheads....TIM .

Harry... in most cases (as in my comments in the bottom paragraph below) I wish there was always a stock version too.

But when it comes to pre-war Fords....particularly the '32 where there have been so many stock kits issued over the years....the need for a really state of the art street rod based kit, plus the desire for a first-ever truly accurate Highboy version, overuled the commercial value of stock building versions.

When a kit manufacturer does a stock version of a pre-war Ford, the street rod version is almost always compromised itn its execution. Exhibit A? Revell's '48 Ford kits, which have a really odd street rod version because it was uneconomical to include truly accurate stock and street rod themed versions in the same kit. I believe the sales of the '48 Ford kits were really hurt by the lack of a cool street rod version, particularly so with the convertible. Even Revell's 1940 Ford kit series, which have pretty sharp stock and rod building versions, end up with a rod version that will only work as a nostalgic themed build (try to put a modern V8 in this kit and you're moving into major tear-ups).

Other than pre-war Fords, I'm solidly in your camp about stock versions. I'm still smarting 25 years later over the lack of stock '83-'86 T-Bird and '84 to '91 LIncoln LSC kits. Not to mention the funny-car only versions of the '69 and '70 Dart Swinder and '71 AMC Hornet, to mention just a few....

Best regards...TIM

Harry... in most cases (as in my comments in the bottom paragraph below) I wish there was always a stock version too.

But when it comes to pre-war Fords....particularly the '32 where there have been so many stock kits issued over the years....the need for a really state of the art street rod based kit, plus the desire for a first-ever truly accurate Highboy version, overuled the commercial value of stock building versions.

When a kit manufacturer does a stock version of a pre-war Ford, the street rod version is almost always compromised itn its execution. Exhibit A? Revell's '48 Ford kits, which have a really odd street rod version because it was uneconomical to include truly accurate stock and street rod themed versions in the same kit. I believe the sales of the '48 Ford kits were really hurt by the lack of a cool street rod version, particularly so with the convertible. Even Revell's 1940 Ford kit series, which have pretty sharp stock and rod building versions, end up with a rod version that will only work as a nostalgic themed build (try to put a modern V8 in this kit and you're moving into major tear-ups).

Other than pre-war Fords, I'm solidly in your camp about stock versions. I'm still smarting 25 years later over the lack of stock '83-'86 T-Bird and '84 to '91 LIncoln LSC kits. Not to mention the funny-car only versions of the '69 and '70 Dart Swinder and '71 AMC Hornet, to mention just a few....

Best regards...TIM

I'll take that bet. Considering that the Revell 32 Ford has been out in one version or another, (the upcoming 5 window coupe will be the fifth variant), since 1996, (13 years ago), with not one stock version ever being kitted, nor even mentioned, it's a safe bet Revell doesn't see enough of a market to justify doing all the additional tooling. If there was a large enough market for factory stock 32 Ford models, you can rest assured that Revell would have explored that market in the past 13 years.

Comparing the AMT 3/1 32 Fords, (the 1st of which was released in their now famous Trophy Series in 1959, that's fifty years ago), to the Revell kits isn't logical. The market for the AMT kits, (& car models in general), was just beginning to explode, (circe 1959-1964 for the peak of car modeling, at least as far as sales), along with the tooling & supply costs being much cheaper back then. Car modeling isn't as big as it was in that era, & with far higher costs overall, it's not profitable for them to invest that much into tooling which doesn't have a big enough market to pay for itself, let alone realize a profit.

Two entirely different eras, with different expectations, costs & results. Nothing greedy about it, just business & survival.

I am 99.99999999% certain that Revell will never release a stock version of any of their 32 Fords. There's just not enough of a market for it to be profitable for them.

For me personally, I'd much rather have the Revell kits as those old AMT 32 Fords, with the partially sectioned body that if built fenderless can only be built as a channeled "lo boy", (look how the bottom of the body swoops upward in an arch leading to the cowl on the AMT kits), & the rear axle molded into the chassis on the AMT 32 Ford roadster. These days that's beyond crude.

I'll take accuracy & detail over a box full of parts, inaccuracy, & obsolete kit design any day of the week!

:)

Mark...from what i know of the model car business I completely agree with your points....TIM

Guest promodmerc
Will these two minor nits keep me from buying multiple variations of this beauty, just as I have all of the Revell 32 Fords, (other than the Speedwagon, only got one of those)? Heck no!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never said I was not going to snag a few of these kits. Just that I thought the flathead should have been included.