Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama progress..

modelercarl

I have been plugging along on a diorama while also trying to finish some builds and thought I would post a couple of pics. During the 50's in Garden City, MI where I grew up there used to be a detail/custom shop that looked pretty much like this, the only major difference, it was a 2 bay shop but I figured as long as I was going to build one I would add a 3rd bay to display more builds.

I remember quite a few of us would take our cars there for pinstiping by a guy named Paul Hatton. He also did some flaming, but too much...I think he made his real money lettering and pinstriping trucks. He wouldn't let you pull your car into the shop if it wasn't clean.

I think I have got the worst of it whipped...waiting for some "bricking" materials to get here and then will determine which way I want to go and that will let me know how to finish framing the windows and bay door openings. I have got the material for garage doors but am waiting to see what the final opening size might be before building them up.

post-5156-0-94567100-1307719988_thumb.jp

post-5156-0-04192800-1307720020_thumb.jp

I have been plugging along on a diorama while also trying to finish some builds and thought I would post a couple of pics. During the 50's in Garden City, MI where I grew up there used to be a detail/custom shop that looked pretty much like this, the only major difference, it was a 2 bay shop but I figured as long as I was going to build one I would add a 3rd bay to display more builds.

I remember quite a few of us would take our cars there for pinstiping by a guy named Paul Hatton. He also did some flaming, but too much...I think he made his real money lettering and pinstriping trucks. He wouldn't let you pull your car into the shop if it wasn't clean.

I think I have got the worst of it whipped...waiting for some "bricking" materials to get here and then will determine which way I want to go and that will let me know how to finish framing the windows and bay door openings. I have got the material for garage doors but am waiting to see what the final opening size might be before building them up.

Looking good!! follow this link to a great how to on bricks,by Phil Bass

Edited by Stasch

• 2 years later...

Carl, if you check the doll house suppliers a German manufacture that I forget makes several "Impregnated " brick and stone cards . The small cards are about 5 X 7 going to an 8 X 10. Meanwhile , you could have taken Foam Core and with a VERY DULL pencil done a brick wall . If you had not used a straight edge , one could have done a "Stone " look too. If those ideas don't appeal to you , go to Michael's . They sell a "Stone Finish " spray paint over with the Krylon finishes . ...............

Wow, I thought that I had updated this thread a long time ago. I was off the Model Car Mag forum for over a year but thought I had updated everything before that. As you can see I have "finished" the building and kind of filled it up with stuff but I have discovered that these are never done. Always changing or adding stuff as time goes by.

The final bricking was done with Houseworks Brickmasters common brick sheet #H8206 (1/24 scale). It comes in 6"x9" sheets if I remember correctly and they make the corner pieces also. I used Miniature Brick & Stone Mortar #OR599 made by Orzene Mfg. The brick sheets have no mortar as supplied. The window lintels are basswood strips coated with a concrete type textured paint.

I would like to add a ceiling with lights, trusses, etc. but it is tough getting motivated for that right now.

post-5156-0-93088200-1371345913_thumb.jp

post-5156-0-18052000-1371345929_thumb.jp

post-5156-0-83960700-1371345942_thumb.jp

post-5156-0-64844400-1371345972_thumb.jp

post-5156-0-24328000-1371345985_thumb.jp