Model Cars Magazine Forum

shoot another coat of primer or proceed to paint?

I just did 2 light, even coats of Duplicolor Scratch filler primer in gray on my 99 Silverado model kit cab. I wet sand the cab with either a 600 or 480 grit sandpaper from Alpha Precision Abrasives, the brand of sandpaper normally sold at Hobby Lobby. As i was wet-sanding, I've noticed that some areas had the primer sanded off, exposing the bare plastic. It's small areas of the model kit, but I wonder if whether I should spray another thin coat of primer or one wet coat of primer or just don't worry about it and proceed to base color.

PS. the reason I said either 480 or 600 grit sandpaper is because these sandpapers AREN'T labeled except on the packaging, but it DOESN'T point out which specific sandpaper corresponds to the marked grit. I used the tan color sandpaper, which I assume must be the 600 grit, because the red film is the finest of them all, which is 1000 grit.

post-14434-0-10128300-1410926770_thumb.j

Edited by addicted2modeling

I'd just get the bare areas covered. I'd say a heavier trying to do a thin might cause orange peal. Might have to lightly sand again.

In my mind the duplicolor clear would be best. I'm not crazy about mixing paint types. The one shot will work but beware that it is alcohol based and you want the lacquer to outgas so there won't be solvent trapped when you shoot the one shot . If you smell the body and it really smells strong then the paint hasn't dried enough. lacquer dries from the outside in whereas enamel dries insde out.