Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

It depends on the kit, Nick. There are some reissues of kits today that I don't think were worth $3 when kits were $3!!

A three dollar kit... in Canada you wouldn't even get folding money, just coins! :rolleyes:

Maybe Nascar kits... we couldn't give them away as door prizes!

Sealed 2012 Reissue of the '70 Road Runner :rolleyes: I paid $24.99 + tax at the hobby shop, So no, I wouldn't sell it for $3, I would have taken $20 maybe even $15 if I really liked the person or they were very nice and polite.

My Aunt did everything the way she wanted it done last week, right down to making sure I knew she didn't like me one little bit. Her words of consolation - the only time she actually spoke to me - was "I'm sorry for you", not my loss, not my grief, she was just sorry "for me"...

I came to the conclusion many years ago- just because I'm related to somebody by blood (or accident of birth, as it were), that's no reason to like/love/respect them in any way. I tend to think that those things should be earned, not just handed out, no matter what relation that person is to you. If anything, blood relatives can be even more hateful than anyone else you've ever "slighted" in any real or imagined way. And absolutely- the fangs really tend to come out when a loved one passes on, I've found that's a time when people show their true colors.

I came to the conclusion many years ago- just because I'm related to somebody by blood (or accident of birth, as it were), that's no reason to like/love/respect them in any way. I tend to think that those things should be earned, not just handed out, no matter what relation that person is to you. If anything, blood relatives can be even more hateful than anyone else you've ever "slighted" in any real or imagined way. And absolutely- the fangs really tend to come out when a loved one passes on, I've found that's a time when people show their true colors.

Chuck everything you just said is the truth! And couldn't have been put better.

Nick

One side of the family you mean Joe.

irked me yesterday, guy offering me $3 for a sealed kit at the show I was vending at.................really $3, your lucky to buy a builtup for that these days.

Nick

No, I meant either or both Nick. Seen and heard about it with both of my parents' families.

It depends on the kit, Nick. There are some reissues of kits today that I don't think were worth $3 when kits were $3!!

I have to agree with Mathew and Tom on some not being worth $3.oo to me anyway mainly Nascar of the 90s and up just never liked them they all look the same now if there not a 90s and up Nascar and sealed or open and mint,etc....Id have no problem with getting a kit for $3.oo in a world where there just getting higher priced every day...would be a steal of a deal depending on the kit but I do know the situation where some people think their stuff is worth its weight in gold and yours is the leftovers...why??? I have paid more than that for kits and build ups at garage sales here...try not to take it personally it has nothing to do with you or your stuff...just someone unaware of what they were looking at or just trying to get a deal...some want too good of a deal at times.

Edited by disabled modeler

I have to agree with Mathew and Tom on some not being worth $3.oo to me anyway mainly Nascar of the 90s and up just never liked them they all look the same now if there not a 90s and up Nascar and sealed or open and mint,etc....Id have no problem with getting a kit for $3.oo in a world where there just getting higher priced every day...would be a steal of a deal depending on the kit but I do know the situation where some people think their stuff is worth its weight in gold and yours is the leftovers...why??? I have paid more than that for kits and build ups at garage sales here...try not to take it personally it has nothing to do with you or your stuff...just someone unaware of what they were looking at or just trying to get a deal...some want too good of a deal at times.

Again it was a sealed relatively new reissue of a nice kit, that I had Bought for $24.99 + 13% tax and I had $20 on it............and for a nice person I would have taken $15............

And the guy had an arm full of Mopar muscle kits all open and priced about the same as my sealed kit...............

I see Nick...Yeah he was just hoping for a steal of a deal thinking you might just be trying to get rid of stuff maybe. Yeah I can understand the way you feel over it...don't let it get to you though there is always one out there like him. As you know my income level is pitiful but Id never have the nerve to ask that for a sealed kit that is of something I wanted.

All the shows I've been to, even when the kits are marked, it's a negotiation process that has to start somewhere. He started low, nothing wrong with that, but looking for bodies to race with, that was all he was interested in. I've done that at train shows, all I'm interested in are the bodies of some cars and I offer what I usually pay for just a body, they can keep the running gear. Sometimes we make a deal sometimes not, it all depends on where the seller is in relationship to the piece. Cars are the same, I've bought complete kits for 3 or 4 dollars, just depends on the situation.

Lol, dealership told me months ago when I had my 200 in for an oil change that the air filter was dirty, then reminded me when I had it in to have the head rest recall done. Well, I finally had the chance to swap in the K&N I got for it...............Yup, that is one filthy, filthy filter after less than 22k miles!

20140219_131539_zpsavmxuio3.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

Lol, dealership told me months ago when I had my 200 in for an oil change that the air filter was dirty, then reminded me when I had it in to have the head rest recall done. Well, I finally had the chance to swap in the K&N I got for it...............Yup, that is one filthy, filthy filter after less than 22k miles!

20140219_131539_zpsavmxuio3.jpg

that is actually pretty dirty. All that debris in there isn't doing you any favors.

Went down to the US today for some shopping and to pick up parcels from my PO box and made the mistake of going to a gas station I don't normally go to. Pre-paid fuel only! Such a ridiculous idea. Especially in the middle of the afternoon in broad daylight! Are y'all just that paranoid of fuel theft? Yeesh.

Went down to the US today for some shopping and to pick up parcels from my PO box and made the mistake of going to a gas station I don't normally go to. Pre-paid fuel only! Such a ridiculous idea. Especially in the middle of the afternoon in broad daylight! Are y'all just that paranoid of fuel theft? Yeesh.

I only know of two stations around here that don't require prepay at all of the pumps, and those are all direct view of the cashier.

I only know of two stations around here that don't require prepay at all of the pumps, and those are all direct view of the cashier.

I've never seen that before but I wouldn't know how self service works with cash since I always use a credit / debit card at the pump. Now the one that really ticks me off are the stations that charge 10 cents more a gallon if you use a credit card. I avoid those.

Here in the land of sanity only the biggest gas stations (10+ pumps) will have pre-pay only pumps, and those are usually the ones farthest from the store. Most places also have the option to pay at the pump; those that don't are very rare. My wife and I do not use credit cards; we use our debit cards which are different than what you have in the US. It is only within the past year or so that our debit cards work in the US, which is great.

Fuel theft was a big problem. That's precisely why they went to pre-pay... because people, given the chance, are dishonest. Don't blame the gas stations, blame the lowlifes who stole all the gas for so long. If they weren't busy stealing gas, pre-pay wouldn't have been necessary.

These days almost everyone buys gas with a card anyway... credit or debit. So pre-pay isn't even an issue. You swipe your card, you pump your gas. Done. Makes perfect sense to me. Why trudge over to the building and pre-pay when you can just use your card right there at the pump?

Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but my wife and daughter were in the store buying stuff. Had to get their stuff and pre-pay for the fuel. I'm wondering if there has been any studies done comparing sales inside the store before and after implementation of a pre-pay/pay at the pump policy?

All the shows I've been to, even when the kits are marked, it's a negotiation process that has to start somewhere. He started low, nothing wrong with that, but looking for bodies to race with, that was all he was interested in. I've done that at train shows, all I'm interested in are the bodies of some cars and I offer what I usually pay for just a body, they can keep the running gear. Sometimes we make a deal sometimes not, it all depends on where the seller is in relationship to the piece. Cars are the same, I've bought complete kits for 3 or 4 dollars, just depends on the situation.

The guy wasn't a slot builder, he was a model car builder, I've seen his work at shows, he thought I would roll over........nope. I sold a few Complete unpainted bodies for $1, I stole the drive trains and wanted a slot guy to use the bodies rather than pitch them..............

I see Nick...Yeah he was just hoping for a steal of a deal thinking you might just be trying to get rid of stuff maybe. Yeah I can understand the way you feel over it...don't let it get to you though there is always one out there like him. As you know my income level is pitiful but Id never have the nerve to ask that for a sealed kit that is of something I wanted.

For people who's income situations I know, I don't mind, but when you have $50 worth of kits under your arm and your lowballing me, no thanks sorry. I've given kits away before to people who deserved them.

that is actually pretty dirty. All that debris in there isn't doing you any favors.

I was looking over if a bit more with Dad, he figured all it would take was to blow/knock the debris out of it and use it longer, but the K&N is in there now. Also pulled out a corregated felt mystery tube (it's thought to be a silencer among other Avenger and 200 owners who've done the same) out of the airbox.

Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but my wife and daughter were in the store buying stuff. Had to get their stuff and pre-pay for the fuel. I'm wondering if there has been any studies done comparing sales inside the store before and after implementation of a pre-pay/pay at the pump policy?

Depends, when I prepay, I usually give the cashier too much to make sure I fill the tanks then go back and get the change and in many cases buy a snack and/or sugary beverage with the change. I can see if somebody gave enough to put some fuel in and go having an affect on in store sales, but not as much as pay at the pump could.

About 20 years ago when I did my "stint" as a cashier at a BP station our pumps were on during the day and Pre-Pay from 10pm-6am. You'd usually have 1 or 2 people a week try to drive off without paying, sometimes with the entire nozzle and hose still attached. Gas was about 89 cents a gallon back then... when you're broke and desperate and/or just a thief you're going to steal regardless of the time of day.

Several states have implemented laws suspending one's license for fuel theft, but that's only effective against a fairly law abiding person. Otherwise I doubt they care much one way or the other if they have a valid license.

Snow...snow...more snow- that's been the iritation the past week and change, along with what I believe is sciatica- now talk about irritating!

James- condolences on your mom. When we've had members of the family go, like you, we've had to deal with a bunch of vultures, cretins, idiots, and all other manner of undesirable, and it's cost us plenty- lost stuff of family importance, irreplaceable at that, screwed-up relationships, and on and on.

I just found out that my grandmother was admitted to the hospital last night with a broken hip- never good, and at her age (102,) very, very bad. My mother isn't taking it too well, and it's going to be touch and go for the next few days.

Charlie Larkin