Model Cars Magazine Forum

plow truck

Have any of you looked at the GMC truck with snow plow? I am wondering how good the plow set up is.

I would like to build a plow truck and if it is decent,it would save me from having to scratch build one.

Edited by dartman

NOTE: Some of the engine components are different than mine. It comes with a fuel injection system, and I put on a different manifold and added a carb and air cleaner.

Also, there is no "bubble-top", that came from the Chevy Rescue truck kit.

One issue with the plow is thet there is no mechanism that would actually lift if off the ground when it's not in use. You would need to add a hydraulic cylinder that goes from the lower frame that holds the blade to the upper frame that holds the lights to make it appear to be fully functional.

One issue with the plow is that there is no mechanism that would actually lift if off the ground when it's not in use. You would need to add a hydraulic cylinder that goes from the lower frame that holds the blade to the upper frame that holds the lights to make it appear to be fully functional.

Brain all you need is a chain to go from the arm on the top to the bottom frame of the plow.. That is how my buddy has been doing it with his plow for over 20 years.

One issue with the plow is thet there is no mechanism that would actually lift if off the ground when it's not in use. You would need to add a hydraulic cylinder that goes from the lower frame that holds the blade to the upper frame that holds the lights to make it appear to be fully functional.

Brain all you need is a chain to go from the arm on the top to the bottom frame of the plow.. That is how my buddy has been doing it with his plow for over 20 years.

Yes Brian, Andy is right, and the lift mechanism IS there. If you look at Allen's pics, specifically pic #7 (the second on after Part 2), you will see the lift (silver) and lift arm complete with lift height adjustment holes. There is also the attachment hole in the plow, so a piece of small chain would be all that's needed to hold the plow up off the ground. Now if you want to go 100% full rivet counter and have it 100% prototypical, the lift arm would have to be movable up and down and have a support coming from the lift mechanism to the lift arm to act as the 1:1 hydraulic cylinder to hold the lift arm in the "UP" position, but just for normal display purposes, a short chain for "UP" and a longer chain (with some slack) for "DOWN" would be fine.

Oh, and I have driven plows in the past with the WV DOT, and the truck was a F550 dump with spreader box and a very similar plow up front.

Okay, at least it's easy to fix. I just remember when this kit first came out someone mentioned about raising the plow.

After reviewing the pics again, it looks like the mount itself may be solid (don't know, have picked one up for my stash yet) and if it is, a pivot would need to be made there. It still wouldn't be a difficult fix though.

Considering that it has been 45 years since the last model kit with a snow plow, it is a pretty nice setup. The lights are what would have been found on a late 80's vehicle and the lower mount for the plow isn't 100% accurate, but that doesn't mean it you should avoid it. As was mentioned, some small chain from the jewelry section at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart should solve the lift mystery. If you wanted to go all out, some small scale hoses could be made to replicate the hydraulic lines from the pump to the rams on the plows, along with the control cables from the pump to the cab control unit.