Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ss/aa Tire Size Question....

Len Geisler

Guys...

I am just about donw with my 2 Vette projects that I had on the bench and am preparing for a couple SS CUda builds. I picked up three of the AMT Cudas at Big Lots, @ $5 each and grabbed the Judy Lilly, Jeggs and Mr 5 and 50 decals from my LHS. What I need to know is what width tire would these cars run? Also, were they normally tubbed? I ask about being tubbed because Bandit resins makes a tubbed chassis for these cars, and if they are supposed to be tubbed with really wide tires, I would like to build at least one of them with a nicely done chassis.

Any input would be appreciated as always.....

Back in the day, they probably ran a 10.00 x 15 slick or something similar and they were not tubbed. Today, they are back halved cars with tubs with 14 x 32 x 15 slick or comparable. I'm sure someone more "expert" than I has more accuract info.

Bottom line...vintage replica will be non tubbed. Modern SS/AA car or a modern build with vintage decals would definitely be tubbed.

Back in the day, they probably ran a 10.00 x 15 slick or something similar and they were not tubbed. Today, they are back halved cars with tubs with 14 x 32 x 15 slick or comparable. I'm sure someone more "expert" than I has more accuract info.

Bottom line...vintage replica will be non tubbed. Modern SS/AA car or a modern build with vintage decals would definitely be tubbed.

Kinda what I was thinking, thaks for clearing it up for me....

I seem to remember that the 70s era Super Stock Mopars moved the springs inward and left the tubs as is and that gave them a few more inches of tire width.

Yep. My uncle did that to his Dart (Late 60's car if I remember correctly). The car looked tubbed but it was not.