Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt california hauler

Where the heck are you guys getting these kits? :blink: None of the LHS in the area have them, and they're not even for sale on the Round2 Website.

The first run has already sold out at the wholesale level. Round2 had sold through them before they ever reached their warehouse, in fact. They'll make more, but it might be a couple months.

The first run has already sold out at the wholesale level. Round2 had sold through them before they ever reached their warehouse, in fact. They'll make more, but it might be a couple months.

Wow! Snooze you loose! Guess Round2 underestimated the popularity of this kit. I'll check some of the online stores. Maybe Model Roundup has some.

Wow! Snooze you loose! Guess Round2 underestimated the popularity of this kit. I'll check some of the online stores. Maybe Model Roundup has some.

Nah, it's typical these days to make your first run a little short, that way if you have an unseen problem pop up in production you don't get stuck with a ton of unsalable kits. Let them get into consumers' hands and if you're not getting calls and emails about missing parts, bad chrome, etc... (or if it turns out to be a total sales dog) you greenlight the 2nd run. Or, what is more typical these days, is to airfreight over a case or two of actual production kits and get them into select hands for evaluation while the main shipment is riding the container ship from China. That would be one of the kits that Tim Boyd has, it's not a "test shot", it's an actual production kit pulled from the line and sent in advance. That gives you about 4-6 weeks head start. Normally the 2nd run will be coming in right about time the first run is selling out and it's all rather seamless to the consumer. So there you go, a little Inside Baseball look at the workings of the model biz.

• Thanks 1

I bought one 2 weeks ago from Megahobby and they were out last night when I checked. I managed to grab one more off the 'bay last night and even that seller was only advertising that he had 2 left in stock. I think one more seller had a couple of the new releases listed but the rest I saw were the original issue kits. I sure hope they pop some more out. I got all sorts of ideas for future builds....

• 1 month later...

I JUST PURHCASED THE AMT KIT #866 'CALIFORNIA HAULER" REISSUE AND I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT SOME BASIC INFO ABOUT THE KIT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT YEAR THE THE PETE 359 IS THAT THE KIT IS MODELED AFTER ? AFTER I FIND OUT THE YEAR OF THE TRUCK AND A COUPLE OF OTHER BASICS I WILL START SEARCHING THE WEB FOR ALL KIND OF INFO SO I CAN BUILD IT PRETTY ACCURATE. THANKS ALOT, JARRNO88

I found one about 3 weeks ago but since then the 3 hobby lobby stores near me haven't had them. Said they can't even order them yet. Just have to wait until the warehouse ships them to them.

I just got a second kit from Model Cave in Ypsi, Michigan. The last time I was there (before this trip), they didn't have any (that I saw), but they did have a supply (which apparently sold quickly) when the kit was first released a few months ago. Hopefully this means some outlets in the Distribution chain sold out the first allotment and had to wait for a second allotment to restore the supply. TB

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody,

I planning a build that I need to base on the c.a. hauler for my dad on his 65th in June. But need to know if the one shown in the box art of the day cab has a sleeper in the box,or if I have source one elsewhere. Trying to replicate the first one he owned outright, narrow window, wide hood 359. TIA Rich

The new 1 is awesome, I've built 2 so far.

Here's the first 1. And a link to the build thread, http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91289&page=1

image_zpsb0f85271.jpg

And the 2nd, I put a Mercury sleeper from a Diamond Reo on it, and it's almost 100% box stock. I lowered the red truck a little in the front and added a bunch of stuff to it.

image_zps15cf4942.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

The original T500-500 California Hauler kit from 1969 did not have a sleeper but back then you could send in a card to get one from AMT, unfortunately the sleeper tooling is gone or beyond repair so the recently reissued kit #866 doesn't have any either.

Another thing that's different with the recent reissued kit compared to the original is that the tanks are shorter than in the original kit, otherwise it's pretty much the same kit as the original issue.

The second edition T 500 kit wich came around 1971-73 included the sleeper and this sleeper in resin can be found at American Industrial Truck models marked as 36 Inch Restrite Sleeper.

Here is the boxart from the second edition T 500 kit wich included the sleeper...the sunvisor is also gone as it was on the sleeper sprue, but you can find one in resin at Auslowe Model Accessories in Australia.

$_57.JPG