Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod and Spare parts build!

'08SEAL

OK. I just re-read my last post; I'm not trying to be argumentative at all....however, LOL...what about Pegasus wheels? I bought 6 sets of 19" T's 5or6 weeks ago cuz I finally found a place that had them in stock. They're comparable to a parts pack engine. I'm using different tires, but what would be the ruling on packaged rims?

Not a bad idea for a build. Dunno that I can get in because the whole "parts box build " has to hit me Not great at sittin here trying to think of something. The car has to speak to me and tell me what to do ....

This car shows ya that to be a Parts box build doesn't mean it needs to be ratted out rusted or ugly. We'll call it a little inspiration for those who think they can't get in cause they don't do rat rods.

S7302528.jpg

S7302533.jpg

S7302299.jpg

This car came from a glue bomb vintage build. It was built into a street car using another bodies front fenders, interior from the parts box and a diecast that gave it all. the engine even has parts box stuff on it to get just the right look. Bout all thats left of the original kit is the body glass and trim. rverything else was scrounged up

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d143/midknightx5/78%20Mustang%20II/

I have all sorts of stuff for something like this, not only from my own projects but from a huge bunch of stuff I got from a guy who was getting out of the hobby about 10 years ago.

One of these days, I'm going to see the parts I sold about 10 years ago, when I got out of the hobby reappearing in models!

Aftermarket slant-6 ?

Turbo four from a Revell Mustang.

Hey! I didn't realize you'd moved to Oz! I've used lots of the stuff and swapped a lot more of it for stuff I wanted more... At a huge profit, I might add! :rolleyes::):D:lol:

:blink::wacko::lol:

Seriously though, I haven't seen a trace of what I sold (in Melbourne) and as I'm getting back into this hobby now, I keep recognizing kits that I had, and I am amazed at how many of them there were. This is just a fraction of them - and are the only photos I can find from when I sold them. I got $222 for just the parts box stuff alone. Now I have a pitiful collection of a few left over bits from someone else's builds. Not enough stuff to even build a car.

J5-vi.jpgJ2-vi.jpgJUNK1-vi.jpg

Edited by otherunicorn

I paid something like $350 for over 100 kits (running anywhere from sealed to almost completed), 3 or 4 dozen builtups needing work that were generally too nice to be called glue bombs, a model box full of tires (about 10 lbs of 'em, including a couple dozen vintage whitewalls and redlines!), another model box full of various paints, a cigar box full of various decals, and plenty more. I managed to get everything into the Chevy Beretta I had at the time to get it home, but it took the whole trunk and the back seat loaded to the roof to do it. Much of the build I'm planning for this CBP will come from this collection.

OK, small update here... I'm scrapping the smallblock chevy idea... (Well, that's one Parts Pack down...lol) I was digging around in an engine drawer and found something meaner for that drag frame... a 429SCJ with two resin Holley Dominators on a tunnel ram intake... will post pics later. ;^)

Edited by Wagoneer81

got a little building done in between working on my 1:1 ride and looking for a job....here is a sneak peak at what I will be creating...all from parts box with a few scratch built pieces thrown in..there will probably be some changes through out the build, but pretty much have a design in mind and going to try and stick to it...let me know what you think...thanks

DSCN2946.jpg

DSCN2950.jpg

grille was full chrome, brushed on some createx black and then used the end of a clothes pin to rub away the paint on the raised surfaces...looks pretty good if ya ask me lol

Tim is that the old blue thingy's cab?

Nick

yeah it is from the blue truck I got from you. Soaked it in the purple pond for 2 days and that's how it turned out...I'm also using one of the frames I got from you too...still trying to figure out something to do for the back end. maybe some kind of bed or rails, just so its not frame exposed...

going to just scratch build one...the previous frame was a little too short anyhow....so will make more room and maybe places to add little details...been so busy working on my vette that I haven't had any time to do anything else to the build. Will try and get some work done tonight on it...

ok got a question for al of you....I am trying to make my own firewall for this build. I got the shape drawn out and transferred it to some plastic (clear packaging) and have glued it to the body 2 times already using Testor's glue in red tube...it sticks good and then after a few hours (this last time was overnight) it just pops right off. What kind of glue do I need to use so that it will stick? I am wanting to use the clear plastic to resemble a plexiglass firewall. Any help is appreciated. Thanks