Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW 49 MERC WHATS UP?

Tom Kren

I heard that a certain 'Mart store has them NOW. I stopped in my local one the other day, alas, no Mercs as of yet. My LHS is not sure when he's getting them. The original release date was for late July.

Bob

Hey Bob....I found ONE at the Riverhead store The box was "previewed" by someone and not to gently!! Paul

There's one box, red on one side, blue on the other. I seen it at Walmart for $14. I'm waiting to hear the review for it first before picking it up. Also saw an Lindberg combo set for a Dodge truck, flatbed trailer, and 40 Ford for $26

Interesting...I haven't seen 'em on ebay yet (last night)...usually new releases appear on ebay dealers before anywhere else...

Rumor is Wally has an exclusive 2-4 week lead time on this kit, which would explain why dealers don't have them and the "street date" for hobby shops is sometime in August. Funny how wally says they are leaving this plastic kit buisiness, but they are going to trash it right until they leave. same thing last year with the chopper kits. they were on wally shelves a good moth before anywhere else.

Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now.

Two things:

First off, I was the one that first posted about W-M dropping kits, but in one of my posts in that thread I stated how it was just rumor so far, & how I doubted that W-M would even give out information about such a minor part of their sales. W-M is very secretive about all aspects of their business, so I still wonder how anyone has verified this as "fact".

Secondly, I see myself getting between 3-6 of these Mercs, with their great selection of custom parts, & all the custom goodies I have left over from my AMT Mercs!

:D

Sorry to be negative. the closing of Hobby heaven has me in a pesamistic mood this morning. The point of my post is that Wally supposedly has a 2-4 week exclusive on these Merc kits, so thats why we haven't seen them elsewhere yet. Just like you said, WM is secretive, so who knows if this is true. Makes sense in this situation though.

Sorry to be negative. the closing of Hobby heaven has me in a pesamistic mood this morning. The point of my post is that Wally supposedly has a 2-4 week exclusive on these Merc kits, so thats why we haven't seen them elsewhere yet. Just like you said, WM is secretive, so who knows if this is true. Makes sense in this situation though.

And I thought Walmart was getting out of models.

And I thought Walmart was getting out of models.

Well John, if history means anything when it comes to new release kits in Canada, we will likely see this kit at the local hobby shop by the end of September...

There's one box, red on one side, blue on the other. I seen it at Walmart for $14. I'm waiting to hear the review for it first before picking it up. Also saw an Lindberg combo set for a Dodge truck, flatbed trailer, and 40 Ford for $26

Wow....I've never seen Lindberg kits at either 4 of my Wally's. And no Merc either. Even Steven's International doesn't have it at the store(LHS) yet:(

What's the difference between the two (red- blue) kits ?

Sounds like it's one box with 2 built-ups. One on top, the other on the "bottom" It's probably a flat box like the recent "uptown" Charger, Caddy and 300

The only Lindberg stuff i've seen at wally's are the display cases. One location had the Weird-O's for awhile.

The box indeed two-sided; the red and blue ones are on either side of the same box. I was shopping at my local 'Great Wal of Mart' for other stuff this evening, and saw that they had 3 on the shelf.

(they had 2 on the shelf after I left. B) )

Went in two Super Wal-Marts between yesterday and today...one had the usual thin assortment of AMT and Revell kits, nothing new. The other had a sign on the aisle saying 'Models' but no models on the aisle, just kid toys....though I recall seeing models there a couple months ago (this W-M is less than a year old)..

Don't know about the other 20+ local W-Ms.