Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow, this can't be good. New NASCAR points rules.

Greg Myers

I'll agree with the money making part, but not on who they want to win the title from what I've seen in the last few seasons. The big push has been to get Kyle Busch or Denney Hamlin, and now Matt Kenseth, a title for JGR, and by extension, Toyota. We'll just have to see what happens this season as far as Austin Dillon goes, especially since he is going to be driving the #3.

I'll agree with the money making part, but not on who they want to win the title from what I've seen in the last few seasons. The big push has been to get Kyle Busch or Denney Hamlin, and now Matt Kenseth, a title for JGR, and by extension, Toyota. We'll just have to see what happens this season as far as Austin Dillon goes, especially since he is going to be driving the #3.

They'd like to see Toyota win but I think the money making part can be extended to Dillon as well. NASCAR would love to see the 3 in the winners circle and on the stage in November. It would be almost like Ironhead winning again.

No. seen far too much of Nascars catering to Gibb over the last few years, especially after Tony left. Especially with the illegal parts infractions that got handwaved through. I suppose you might be onto something with Dillon, but if Nascar really wanted Junior to be the champion, it would have happened already.

It would have happened ten times by now if they wanted Junior to be champion. I personally believe they can cause wrecks and engine failures at will. It seems a bit odd to me when both Junior, Kahne, and Gordon have engine troubles on and off throughout the year, while Johnson rarely ever has a issue. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you must- but that's just how i see it.

They'd like to see Toyota win but I think the money making part can be extended to Dillon as well. NASCAR would love to see the 3 in the winners circle and on the stage in November. It would be almost like Ironhead winning again.

You know, that is the first thing I thought of to be honest, that is NASCAR's way of trying to help make sure that Dillon and the #3 win the Championship, they would milk it for everything that it is worth

I already see NASCAR giving Austin Dillon the pole and the Victory for the Daytona 500, I mean look back at last year and the media circus over when Danica was given , errrr, won the pole for the 500, its all that was talked about by the mainstream media, and for some reason, that is what King Faux wants, is to be covered by the main stream .

And my other thought is this, now NASCAR and SMI can raise the ticket prices for the Chase race's and get away with it, and can also, the advert cost can be raised as well for the Chase race's on TV, this was a money making move, and dont let anything that is being said fool you, this all about NASCAR's bottom line and not about better racing

Edited by martinfan5

I've got to agree with you Jonathan. NASCAR always seems to have the "perfect storm" of events that add drama to every race. This article gives a good indication of the convoluted thinking that the France family uses to control NASCAR.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140205/NASCAR01/140209923?utm_source=DailyDrive20140205&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=article4&utm_content=20140205-NASCAR--Cheaters-can-still-keep-wins&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

NASCAR has turned into a snoozefest. Long, boring races. Fuel mileage strategy over actual racing, teams helping their own drivers ( Bowyers spin anyone?). The list goes on. This new chase format will not help. Too some degree it is fixed/rigged. But the bottom line is that it is just plain boring. If they went to single car teams and banging fenders it may be fun again

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes that "perfect storm" I was talking about.

I am not much of a Sprint Cup fan, but will watch the Daytona 500 next weekend. With that out of the way, I can totally understand why NASCAR is tweaking the rules and format every year-- to keep people interested. In this day and age, they have to keep changing some things to stay in the news, and every tweet, call-in-vote, and online article generates interest. Maybe it doesn't put butts in the seats as much anymore, but that's becoming a smaller piece of the pie. Same deal with NHRA and the NFL. Attendance is down, yet profits are up, so it's not necessarily bad news, just different than it used to be.

I recall a few years ago when John Force went on his winning streak (and this has probably happened not long ago in the Sprint Cup series, too) and the championship was decided by mid-season. No sports league wants that and the fans don't want to see their team or driver play in meaningless games or drive meaningless races.

The multiple fans votes and elimination rounds sounds like American Idol, but guess what? Millions of people watch, tweet about, and call into that show, generating interest, and in turn, money for the sport. The NBA has let fans vote for All-Star game starters for years, and it's had no detrimental affect on the sport. While NASCAR isn't quite the same apples-to-apples comparison to either American Idol nor the NBA, both do show how major sports and entertainment events-- sometime both at the same time-- compete for fans and their money, and how intense that competition has become over the last decade.

Hey, it could be worse...name one Indy Car driver. :unsure:

Maybe Indycar should start manipulating races and qualifying in order to create faux results that raise the drama level. Then more people would know the drivers. IMO, they should either cut the banking down or get rid of the grandstands at Daytona and Talladega. Like Waltrip said years ago, anyone can drive a stock car those places wide open. They're such boring races.

PS I could probably name at least half the field and maybe 3/4 in an Indycar race. Same for NASCAR, I watch most all forms of racing but open wheel is my favorite.

There are many that know racing and Nascar more the me, I only watch part time. I always believed that most fans and me included always thought that Dale jr some how would end up in the 3 car his Dad drove...

Too much pressure, he's under enough already just with the name. IMO the best move he ever made was to leave DEI and go with Hendrick.