Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rob's resin making thread

The cost of the first (master) compared to the resin , was what I was looking at. I know that the rubber does not last for long , I just do not know how many parts can be poured before it is junk.

I also did not know that the warping was still a problem( I worked with SLA bottle models in 96) with the SLA printed parts. I was thinking that it would be closer to the same price for the printed part, thanks for the wake up call. So much for the parts getting cheaper the longer it is open to the public LOL .

I know how all the casting works but never made more than a few parts that way at work before. The most we ever did was 20 to 25 of the same part.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

The cost of the first (master) compared to the resin , was what I was looking at. I know that the rubber does not last for long , I just do not know how many parts can be poured before it is junk.

I also did not know that the warping was still a problem( I worked with SLA bottle models in 96) with the SLA printed parts. I was thinking that it would be closer to the same price for the printed part, thanks for the wake up call. So much for the parts getting cheaper the longer it is open to the public LOL .

I've gotten 60 parts out of the mold. Some last longer, others get bad after 8 parts. It just depends how much work it has to do. Undercuts are harsh on a mold and kill it faster. Certain resins can expedite a molds deterioration. Changine resin to rubber might affect it's life.

Actually the cost of 3D printing is super cheap today then when I first started. If I did this in 2004 I would have paid $1250! It may not look like it when I show you the numbers on this project, but it really is getting cheaper.

Think what it will be in 3 years. Add to that, the resolution will get better which means less or no sanding. Also, the warping will eventually get eliminated all together. In less than 10 years, we'll be able to go to a Fed Ex Kinkos and get a kits printed out for us. This is why I encourage younger people to learn CAD skills. That is the where the money will be

• 4 weeks later...

I remember seeing seeing a complete GM progress vehicle a long time ago at a Toledo NNL.Someone had built it in 1/25 scale from wrenshape(not sure of the spelling)and was planning to make if available in resin.That was at least 10 years ago and never saw it again.Anyone know who built it of what happened to it?
Concerning the of the potential kits to we car modelers maybe it would be possible to take prepaid orders in advance then produce only enough kits to fill those orders instead of producing a bunch that would then go unsold.
These were awsome vehicles then and now and would make some really neat models.How about one built as a rolling hobby shop!
A little research on line reveals some earlier ones built in the 1930's that were very intresting as well.I found those images on the oldmotor.com.

Edited by misterNNL

• 3 weeks later...

I remember seeing seeing a complete GM progress vehicle a long time ago at a Toledo NNL.Someone had built it in 1/25 scale from wrenshape(not sure of the spelling)and was planning to make if available in resin.That was at least 10 years ago and never saw it again.Anyone know who built it of what happened to it?

Concerning the of the potential kits to we car modelers maybe it would be possible to take prepaid orders in advance then produce only enough kits to fill those orders instead of producing a bunch that would then go unsold.

These were awsome vehicles then and now and would make some really neat models.How about one built as a rolling hobby shop!

A little research on line reveals some earlier ones built in the 1930's that were very intresting as well.I found those images on the oldmotor.com.

That was Joel Dirnberger (SP?). More than 10 years ago. I think it was around 95 or so. As far as I know, it was never finished, but it's super close to being done.

Hobby shop is a great idea! I love it.

Prepaid kits is done frequently in the sci fi area. It works, but if a kit takes too long, people get angry. I don't blame them. I've seen kits take a year. 3 years. 7 years to get to the customer. Those kits are in the hundreds to $1000s. I wouldn't want to take someone's money and not deliver right away. I'll probably do a kickstarter though. That takes a credit card but doesn't charge it until it's ready to roll

While I'm waiting to save up some money for the silicone, I've been working on this Fox Thunderbird

Cut out the prostock rear wheel arches and engine bay

14974617380_d351b99954.jpgIMG_0686 by dakota_in_the_sky, on Flickr

Temporarily assembled the interior and chassis for fit

14974705768_5d25b4e265.jpgIMG_0685 by dakota_in_the_sky, on Flickr

Hood scoop removed, hole replaced with 1987 Thunderbird hood section

15138249466_ac6d45bc95.jpgIMG_0691 by dakota_in_the_sky, on Flickr

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you Karl!

Hi Len. Not sure about making this a full kit yet. I'm doing a few for myself. A stock one, a fire engine, and an 8 car transporter semi truck loaded with Motorama cars. I might do a few built ups to sell to pay for the project.

Not sure if a kit could work but I'm thinking about it. It's huge and would take a lot of silicone. I've had plenty of items that people said they wanted. I made it available and when it came to order, I got little response.

Sci Fi guys can spend $1000 on a resin kit without a flinch. Plane and Armor models spend less but still pay quite a bit. Car guys might complain at a $30 resin kit. I can tell you with the size of this (it's like a bus) a resin kit would be in the hundreds.

No offense intended (I'm a car guy first). It's just the reality of the market. Car guys don't spend as much as other genre modelers do. I would have to think carefully about a kit because it is a lot of labor, time, and monely invested on my end. I can't afford to make a bunch and sell a few.

I would consider one in a smaller scale like 1/43rd.

Thanks, Rob

I have spent triple digits like that for a resin kit before. Good quality is not cheap and cheap quality is never good. Great looking project and build. I would like to learn a bit more on the 3D program your using from you if I can PM let me know. I recently did a custom truck frame and components in 3D and had them printed. Great build here!!