Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chrysler 300 Tim Flock Stock Car --Finished--

W-409

I decided I should post a little WIP on this car I have worked on for a while. It's the new Moebius Models kit of Stock Car Chrysler and it's top notch quality. Even if I knew the kit will be super nice, I was really suprised when I opened the box, Fantastic quality kit. Especially I like the Chrome parts in these Moebius Models kits, they are really nice and smooth.

Well anyway, I started from the Engine. Those Engine Halves fitted really nicely together and only little putty was needed. Actually it would have been possible to do this job without putty, but I thought that was the easiest way to remove that seam. Also I removed those huge Mold Trashes or what they are called from Cylinder Heads and sanded the Engine block smooth where those heads will be attached.

The Kit:

P6010352.jpg

P6010369.jpg

P6010374.jpg

The Chrome Parts are really nice:

P6010417.jpg

Oh well, to the Build Progress... Here are the Engine Block Halves glued together and seams filled with putty. Waiting for sanding.

P6020081.jpg

Edited by W-409

P6020082.jpg

The Cylinder Heads Needed some Cleanup...

P6020086.jpg

Much Better:

P6020088.jpg

Then I sanded the Engine Block from that area, so the Heads will fit nicely.

P6020085.jpg

Okay, I have done more work on this one than showed here. But I think it's not a good WIP-Thread if I post all at once. I'll continue tomorrow with some more progress.... ;)

Yep, the kit is really nice and great subject too. I still need to buy that Stock Version of this kit, since I thought that I want to build this one first before it's sold out as I missed the Tim Flock Hudson once it came out. Luckily they released that Fabulous Hudson Hornet later, and now I have one Stock Car Hornet on my stash too. B)

Here is the engine in primer. I sanded the putties smooth and did some test fitting with the parts. Everything was fitting perfectly, so I decided to go ahead and shoot some primer on it. The engine block will be silver with gold Valve Covers, as the reference pictures show.

P6020093.jpg

Here is a closeup shot of the Timing Chain Cover / Water Pump part and Valve cover. Really nice Mold Quality.

P6020095.jpg

Thanks Bruce, and yes I agree with you on the kit quality. I can't wait to see the Moebius Models Ford Pickups once they come out. The quality on them will be top notch too, I believe.

Now the engine is painted. I used Maston Silver from Spray Can and then Gold for the valve covers. I painted the black parts of the Covers by brush. Ingnition coil got some black paint on it, also. So far I have found no problems with the assembly.

P6040113.jpg

P6040115.jpg

And when I decided to glue those Carburetor-parts together, I found out that (At least in my kit) the Instructions have a mistake. The Instructions show, that Lower Carburetor is number 51, and Upper 50 but actually they are just other way, so that 50 would be Lower Carburetor and 51 Upper Carburetor.

P6040101.jpg

P6040107.jpg

And then I primered the Wheels.

P6040128.jpg

Well today we got some Interior Work.

I glued the Bench Seat halves together, and then I started wondering that how much of the seam I need to fill with bondo. Many times there goes some kind of a seam on the Upholstery too, so I don't fill away something that doesn't need to be filled. And After some Google Searching, I came across this picture, and I could fill the correct part from that seam away.

55ChryslerSeat.jpg

P6040123.jpg

Then I masked the Carpet away from the interior, so I could paint the sheetmetal parts with primer, and then Gloss White. Once those were dry, I masked them and sprayed some Flat Black for the carpet and Flocked that area. A little paint came off from the other wheel well as you can see, but I fixed that later.

P6040125.jpg

P6100186.jpg

At the same time, I painted the underside of the same part Flat Black right after I had sanded the Molded In letters away.

P6100193.jpg

Engine is getting there. Still some little details are missing, but it's starting to look like an engine. I have found absolutely no fit issues, great job Moebius on this one! I have added the Spark Plug Wires and Generator wires for it. Oh and the Generator Bracket is scratchbuilt also.

P6100188.jpg

P6100190.jpg

P6100191.jpg

P6100192.jpg

We are moving on to the Chassis! Kit's Rear Axle had Molded In brake line on it. I removed it and after I had painted the Axle, I made new one from Metal Wire. I don't have a picture of that, though, but it's there.

P6130198.jpg

The whole chassis had only minor problems with the Front Axle installation, and I had to drill some holes bigger and do some other small things. Overall everything fit nicely together, and especially the Frame to floor pan was very easy to do. Also the wheels and tires fitted perfectly, no glue was needed and they went straight immediately.

P6160246.jpg

P6160247.jpg

P6160244.jpg

I had to test fit the Body too....

P6160236.jpg

Two More.

P6160237.jpg

P6160240.jpg

Then I moved to the Interior again. The Seat and Door Panels were painted by Humbroll's Radome Tan paint and then I Foiled the Door Panels... Somehow there came those black marks on the other panel, and I couldn't get them off. Well since I have already put the interior together, I can tell you that luckily they can't be seen well after it's all together.

P9170099.jpg

P9170097.jpg

Then I painted the Dashboard. I used Black and White, as the Instructions show. Here I still need to paint some of the details and use BMF for the rest of them...

P9180122.jpg

Thanks Clyde, it means a lot!

Okay next up was the bodywork. Looking on the decal sheet, I noticed Chrysler textes and pair of 300 Emblems there, so I decided to sand these letterings away from the body, to get the decals fit on those places better. I used some putty to smooth those places out. But the real pain was to get rid of the Mold Lines. Especially those what go on the side of that roof, were really hard to hide. A few times of putty didn't work, but luckily I managed to smooth them out with some bondo that's used on car bodies. Then I sprayed the final white primer over that grey primer.

DSCN1091.jpg
DSCN1093.jpg
DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg
DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN3389.jpg
DSCN3390.jpg
DSCN3393.jpg

Then I sprayed the body with Maston White paint straight from the Spray Can. It turned out pretty good, and my plan was to do BMF and Decals both before clear coating. We'll see how that turns out in the future, I haven't cleared the body yet, but I have assembled BMF and decals....Pics of them coming later, though.

DSCN3401.jpg

DSCN3403.jpg

I also put BMF to the Dashboard that I had painted earlier. I also installed the kit decals on it, and they fit really nicely. Also I added some decals to the engine.

DSCN3395.jpg

DSCN3399.jpg

• 1 month later...

Woo Hoo the site is back Online, so here goes another update for my Chrysler build.

Interior work this time. First the Turn Signal visor caught my attention, and not as a positive thing. That looked way too thick, so I cut it off and then I drilled a little hole for new, thinner visor. That is made from metal wire, but I didn't find a good looking knob for the visor, so I just had to paint it black from the end. Though I believe that it looks better than the original did, and I'm quite happy about it.

DSCN3440.jpg

DSCN3454.jpg

Then I painted the Steering wheel as the reference pictures showed. And since I had now all of the interior parts painted and ready to be installed, I decided to throw the whole interior together. It went together really nicely, without any problems. Next step is to do some more detailing on it and a few touchups. I will post another update very soon, since I have done some more work done on it already.

DSCN3457.jpg

DSCN3462.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

DSCN3464.jpg

DSCN3466.jpg

DSCN3469.jpg

OK, I have a question. Let me preface this question by saying that this is not a critic of the build or the car. I have one of these on the shelf waiting to build.

OK, the question. Shouldn't this car have the 3-Speed Manual? My understanding is that NASCAR 'greenlighted' the manual trans for racing even though the street cars didn't have manuals. I understand the tooling costs of making a trans, pedals and shifter on a limited amount of models. Again, just asking? It kind of sticks out.

Thanks guys. Regarding to Tom's question, I have to say that I don't know. The reference that I've found is very minimal, so it's hard to say anything. That's why I'm keeping this pretty basic Box Stock Model with just some added details. B)

It was time to put BMF on the body. Man there are a lot of Chrome trims that need to be Foiled. But I think it turned out okay. After the Hudson and this, there is not much left of my BMF sheet. :rolleyes:

DSCN3579.jpg

DSCN3580.jpg

DSCN3581.jpg

Edited by W-409

Thanks Danno!

Here are the decals on place. They were really easy to install, only a little Micro Sol was needed, the decals were really thin and very nice, even if I was bit afraid of installing them (As I always am when trying to install bigger decal than those little badges or cauges :lol: ).

DSCN3584.jpg
DSCN3585.jpg
DSCN3586.jpg
DSCN3589.jpg
DSCN3590.jpg
DSCN3591.jpg

This is now the current stage where I am at. Now I should have the body clear coated in a couple of days, since those decals has been drying over a month now. :rolleyes:

Very nice!

I just won this kit on the auction site, should be here next week.

Scale Auto just did a nice article on a resin '56 body model using the chassis from this kit.

I also grabbed the last set of '56 300B Buck Baker Mercury decal sets that Mike's Decals had, as I see Moebius is releasing the 1956 300B model in a few weeks. Will be sweet to have two Chrysler 300 stock car models in Mercury livery.

Thanks Bill! Me too, these '50s Stock Cars, as well as '60s and why not Early '70s Stock Cars too, are really nice. Much nicer than those new ones, even if there is nothing wrong with them either.

Thanks Chris! Yep I saw that Scale Auto article, and it was great. I might build another Stock Car also from the '56 kit, so then I'd have '55 and '56 Stock Cars on my shelf also. But first I need to get this one done. :D