Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Revell's Squarebody Pickup kits

kalbert

Here's a pic showing the MPC, Revell, and Monogram cabs together.

005_zpsc1ed1009.jpg

The MPC and Revell cabs are from original issue kits, the Monogram cab is from the recent GMC kit with the plow. Note how much larger the Monogram cab is. The MPC and Revell cabs are pretty close to the same size, with the Revell being slightly narrower, which messes up the proportions of the greenhouse.

Thanks for all of the history and background on these kits, I remember building many of them as a teenager and have a few of them in the stash in the garage.

I never was a big fan of the front suspension because as Casey pointed out, it ain't right! The MPC kit of the '78 2WD stepside was the closest to replicating a correct suspension.

If we could get a true new tool of this truck series, they could develop several tools including a medium duty cab as they aren't that much different. I do wonder how well the re-issued GMC with the snow plow has sold, I know I have done my best in helping them by purchasing/trading about 8 of them!

I'd think the plow truck has been a pretty hot item, even if just for the plow! I do wish they'd update it a little with a factory steering wheel, and god only knows why they shipped it with a '50s fuelie small block! Otherwise it's not a bad. A 2wd version would go like gangbusters I'd think, but I'm no expert. A new tool 2wd on the level of the MPC '88 Silverado would me most appreciated and could be minimally modified for future releases to make newer/older body's, 4x4, etc. Could get alot of mileage out of it I'd think, but again, I'm no expert.

I think the front suspension issues has a lot to do with the Sneaky Pete being the first issue of this tooling; it is close to something you would see on a full-size Peterbilt. The issue with the rear wheel wells is, as I stated, due to using a California Stepside bed. The fenders are the same in these kits, the Datsun pickups, and the Ford Courier.

This generation of pickup lasted from 1973 to 1987 for regular cab trucks, 1991 for crew cab, Blazer, and Suburban. If Revell or AMT was to develop a new tool of this body style I would go bankrupt! I have three Revell kits, six Monogram kits, and seven (and counting) MPC kits! :blink:

Edited by kataranga

This generation of pickup lasted from 1973 to 1987 for regular cab trucks, 1991 for crew cab, Blazer, and Suburban. If Revell or AMT was to develop a new tool of this body style I would go bankrupt!

I would join you in that problem Chris!

Why not use the chassis from the AMT Chevy Van (A-Team and the like) for a 2WD truck? The van and the pickup chassis seem to be pretty similar. I'm considering it with my truck when its turn finally comes up in the build queue. Someday. :)

Edited by SSNJim

Nice pics of the Billy Carter kit's contents via an eBay listing:

bcrp0.jpg

bcrp7.jpg

bcrp5.jpg

bcrp4.jpg

bcrp2.jpg

bbcrp1.jpg

The bed floor insert piece caught my eye as I don't think it was included in subsequent modified reissues. I know the Ice Patrol kit didn't have it, nor the four tire halves (which don't appear on the box but are mentioned), the stakesides. and the floor jack piece.

I like how the Ice Patrol build-up was photographed at a low angle to minimize the visibility of the top of the windshield, with its two connecting bar ends. Then, the Billy Carter version has a picture of the real truck, so no problem there...but then we see the problem on the Big Red version. Not only do those connecting bar ends stick out like a sore thumb, the top edge of the windshield is 1/32" lower than the body opening. :huh:

...and it would require a much more complex body mold core if the rear wall was in place.

And yet MPC was able to produce a cab with its rear panel moulded-in , with zero interior tub interference problems ...

( I'm not picking on your comment specifically , Casey ; I just wanted to use your comment as my launch pad ) .

You make a very good point, John. Even though they are both 1:25 scale, the Revell cab is just a wee bit smaller than the MPC cab. Enough of a difference to make the Revell interior tub loose in the MPC cap and the MPC interior too tight to fit properly in the Revell cab. The windows and hoods won't directly swap between the two, either. The MPC interior is a tight fit into its cab but it will fit; the Revell interior is a bit tighter to fit in but it will fit with the rear cab wall in place. The Monogram interior, however, is extremely difficult to get in with the rear cab wall in place; I'm going to have to use an elastic band or something similar around the cab when putting the interior in for the final time, I think.

The only reason I can think of for Revell molding the cab the way they did is as Casey stated: keeping costs down. If you look at other Revell pickup offerings of similar vintage of similar subject material, they also have separate cab walls (Datsun pickup, Ford Courier). Perhaps they just went with what they knew?

• 1 year later...

unless i missed it this thread is missing the Chevy Street Pickup from the Hot Rod series

Revell_Hot_Rod_Chevy_Street_Pickup.jpg

Not part of the Monogram 1/24 series. That is the Revell 1/25. It was issued as "Sneaky Pete" with

simulated Peterbilt nose, Billy Carter's Redneck Pickup, and many more, but not this group.

Dan, if I remember correctly, that kit (and another release in one of the Mach 1 boat sets) do share the same frame as the Sneaky Pete/Midnight Cowboy, right? The only reason I'm asking is because me and a friend were talking earlier today and he's needing a frame and cab for a Sneaky Pete, and I don't really want to break up one of my complete Cowboy kits but have a couple of the stepsides too that I could beak up for him or make one of my Cowboys a regular Chevy wrecker.

Now to veer back on topic, I would love to get one of the aqua Stepsides again, I built that as a kid and liked it! :D

Yes, If it is a Revell 1/25 Chevy Pickup, and Not a Rev labeled Monogram 1/24 scale kit

It is The Same kit!

Sneaky Pete, Midnight Cowboy (Pete hood & grill still), That 'Hot Rod' mag issue, and more

are ALL basically the Very same kit with a few different parts & molded color to differentiate releases

The Sneaky Pete had the same Stepside box after all!!!!

I Did manage to build an Original 'Pete" kit, but could not manage the Cowboy!!!

I believe the cab & interior are Identical between all issues. Except Maybe a few detail parts!

No change in upholstery pattern, etc!

Clearance lights are molded with the part that fills/covers the sunroof!

The opening for the clearance lights is a little different on the straight pickup kits, but can still work. The frame is almost the same; just a bit different at the front for the tilt hood. IIRC the interiors are slightly different, but I'm not home with my kits so can't confirm that right now.

Although a better donor for a frame and possibly wrecker setup if your friend likes it better is the GMC wrecker. Its cab has the same roof insert; you would pretty much just need the front clip to build a complete wrecker.

Edited by kataranga