Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

About crapped when I saw your steering set up. Excellent concept and engineering of making that item up. This project just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to see the completed car! :)

Kevin

I appreciate that Kevin

FANTASTIC WORK

thanks Val

What the baby Jesus!!!! A working steering rack??

yes it is Luis, thanks

Man, that is stunning Bill, it's just a work of art, I don't know what else to call it!

That rack and pinion actually works? You totally amaze me with your innovation and skill.

There aren't adequate words in the English language to describe this Bill. I could make some up but they still wouldn't do it justice. You have raised the bar to the upper reaches of the statosphere.

What they said, wow, just wow

I decided to tackle trying to make a steering knuckle, a working rack doesn't do much good with out them, seems to work pretty well, this is more or less a prototype to see if I could make it happen

IMG_1550-vi.jpg not much of an update, but progress is progress no matter how small

thanks for checking in

I second that. It would be a shame to cover up all of that fantastic craftsmanship with paint.

Hopefully it will look with paint on it too, thanks Del!

What they said, wow, just wow

really appreciate that Jonathan

Bill.......I`m always checking in........I always look forward to learning something new from you........love your work buddy.

Hi John, I am having so much fun with this build figuring these things out, means a lot my friend!

I'm always checking in as well. Consider me one of your students right in the front row.

thanks a million Brad

Yep...front 'n center here. I'm just saving my "wow" for when my jaw can be on the floor for a while. :D

I appreciate you checkin in Christopher!

OK..... How did you build the steering knuckle ?!?!

hi John, just shaped the ends of a couple pieces of aluminum tubing and drilled some .020 holes to except the U-joint, the U-joint is a tiny square piece of aluminum with 4 holes drilled in the corners and using straight pins to assemble it all, was an extreme pain but it works beautifully, very smooth and pretty strong, there will be one on the rack and another at the fire wall on the steering column, thanks for the interest!

Man, I hope you realise the amount of talent you have, this build is insane. If you don't have a kid to pass this talent on to, grab one off the street and start training him or her lol.

Derrick, my son turned 18 last November, the last thing on his mind is hangin out with dad in the garage if you know what I mean, lol I remember being 18, I wanted to work on something and it wasn't model cars ;) thanks

I'll volunteer for that!

come on by Trent, thanks

got the lower steering knuckle pretty well done with a steering shaft, set the engine in to make sure it was going to clear the engine and exhaust, looks like it's going to work out good, just need to make another knuckle to join it to the column where it comes through the fire wall

IMG_1551-vi.jpgIMG_1552-vi.jpgIMG_1553-vi.jpgIMG_1554-vi.jpg

sweet! thanks for looking

Bill, I just showed your last update with the rack and pinion and the steering knuckle, to my son. All he could say was " that's just nuts. " I gotta say , I have to agree. Every time I check in I feel like I'm being taken to school. In a good way off course. This is a fantastic build, can't wait till my next "class".

Bill, I just showed your last update with the rack and pinion and the steering knuckle, to my son. All he could say was " that's just nuts. " I gotta say , I have to agree. Every time I check in I feel like I'm being taken to school. In a good way off course. This is a fantastic build, can't wait till my next "class".

I couldn't have said it any better than Paul! I would say that the steering knuckle is just unbelievable but after seeing the engine and chassis work you've done so far, I have come to the conclusion that you are some kind of alien sent here to make us all feel inferior....mission accomplished Bill, mission accomplished! :lol:

I've been calling this a lesson in craftsmanship for pages now, and it keeps getting better. At this point are you going to wait for the upcoming Revell new-tool 'Cuda body , or are you going to bend & beat that puppy into shape yourself?

Bill, please carry on. This is friggen epic....

This is such an awesome piece of work but you should start photographing it with a coin or something we all can relate to next to it for a size comparison. Anyone that didn't know better would never believe that rack is only about the size of a toothpick.