Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just wondering about Tamiya spray paint?

I mostly use duplicolor type paints, but I figured I would give Tamiya a try. I was just wondering if you use a dehydrator to speed up the drying time, how long do you have to wait before you can handle the model?.......thanks F. D.

Depends on how much you put on, but I can handle the body enough to put in the dehydrator in about 30 minutes, and I can take it out of dehydrator after about 2 to 3 hours. I have been known to wetsand it after that and clear it then. I love Tamiya paint for it's ability to work with quickly.

Depends on how much you put on, but I can handle the body enough to put in the dehydrator in about 30 minutes, and I can take it out of dehydrator after about 2 to 3 hours. I have been known to wetsand it after that and clear it then. I love Tamiya paint for it's ability to work with quickly.

Same here. It's really "hot" paint but its fast-drying properties are really forgiving when it comes to wetcoats. It's great stuff, and the only stuff I use. Spray your first mist coat of clear into the last wetcoat of color, before it sets up, and you can easily finish the whole paintjob in a day.