Model Cars Magazine Forum

Easy Distraction,,,,,Revell 1968 Charger RT

gtx6970

Anyone else easily distracted,, I know I am

Short story . I restore classic cars fulltime . And I am currently restoring a 1968 Charger RT 440 4spd car for a customer

This week I was cutting in the insides of the doors when I realized I had paint left over. And this got me to thinking,,,oh why not !!!!!!!

Sooooo,, I dug out the Revell kit I had started on 2 or 3 years ago . Laid down some primer and shot color on it this week. That developed into spraying the interior, then the engine etc etc etc.
All the while I have my 58 Buick and a 62 Dodge superstocker on the bench

This isnt going to be a major drawout job,,,just a quickie ( thats my story and I'm sticking to it ) and then give it to the 1/1 cars owner

The body in color

post-9887-0-08899900-1423744413_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-90618400-1423744418_thumb.jp

post-9887-0-74409600-1423744426_thumb.jp

Although I don't go ahead and start building something else, the caged tiger is always there................just itchin' to start another kit. Sometimes its everything I can do to not start another kit especially once I cross the 3-4 month marker with a build...and even more so when I cross the 9 month marker!!!

Looks like you are off to a great start with this Charger here! I like that shade of blue.

Got the body polished out last night and wow it looks great. I think the cars owner will be happy with it. Its the same paint I used to spray the trunk of the 1/1 this week. Just a straight single stage enamel with 3 coats of clear then polished.

Need to pick up some paint this weekend so I can paint the kickpanel area of the side panels in a flat black then install the dash and the interior is done .

body.jpg

interior.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Thanks all.

Its called EE1 blue metallic . And yes it will have the white tail stripe . Chrome magnums and redlines .

The white interiors in 68 were actually a pearl white,, I tried to acheive that with testors pearl top coat but it gave it more of a yellow look than I liked,,,so I stripped it and painted it in a duplicolor off white instead .

Thanks all.

Its called EE1 blue metallic . And yes it will have the white tail stripe . Chrome magnums and redlines .

The white interiors in 68 were actually a pearl white,, I tried to acheive that with testors pearl top coat but it gave it more of a yellow look than I liked,,,so I stripped it and painted it in a duplicolor off white instead .

I swear I learn something new here every day. I knew you'd used something other than white model paint. That interior looks awesome. Thanks!

Here's my new plan. I'm gonna' track down an old Charlie Allen Dart 1:1. Then I'll have you restore it and build me a model of Charlie's car. Now if I can just put together 40 or 50 thousand dollars..............

Joe,

Not sure any of the Darts have ever surfaced. But the body for the Charlie Allen Challenger was on Ebay this past summer . Just the body,,, and it didnt get stupid expensive. If it had been cost effect to get it across country I may have considered buying it just for giggles

Restoring an old drag car would be extremely expensive,,,I am sure tracking down period correct parts would get very time consuming.

thanks all for the kind words

Ok, Interior is done.

White is duplicolor white laquer that dried in a nice very low gloss. Floor is done ( although you cant tell in the pics ) is covered in black embossing powder .

I tried my best to highlight the dash buttons and gauges. and they look,,,,,,,ok . Flowed in a dab of thinned flat black on the rear console chrome plate to replicate the 1/1

Chassis about done. Then it on to BMF on the body and start assembling the pieces . Hope to finish it by the weekend .

Interior-a.jpg

interior-c.jpg

interior-b.jpg

Managed to get a little building done over the weekend . Tires / wheels are ready . Engine is nearly finished . All the glass is in and the interior tub and chassis went in the body for the last time .

Engine is painted with the exact same paint the 1/1 cars engine will be. And I used a MAD pre-wired dist . No way will my eyes let me drill and wire my own anymore .

Red line tires are from the parts box,,,,not sure what kit they came from ,,maybe Revell Dart ?

A member here sent me a set of the decals I needed. Thanks again for that.

Its getting real close to be done now

painted1.jpg

tires.jpg

engine-done.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Hi,

I like your project Bill and I'm sure the car's owner will love to have a model of their vehicle. I doubt they'll appreciate how well you've done the model and the work that has gone into it (need to be a model builder for that!) but I am sure they will enjoy having the model. Are you planning to do their licence plates as well for the finishing touch?

Nice to see a member has helped you out - not suprised to see who it is, Geoff is one of those guys who are a credit to our hobby.

Nice to see a member has helped you out - not suprised to see who it is, Geoff is one of those guys who are a credit to our hobby.

Cheers for that comment Jim,it got me quite choked, I'll send out parts, decals and paint if I can to anyone that's in need, I don't ask for anything in return, just knowing that I have helped someone in need is good enough for me .....