Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Vega Kammback

Scale-Master

I never had the head gasket and major overheating problems so many others did, but it still ran hot and occasionally puked in the summer when I took it inland. I always kept a few two liter jugs of water in the well.

Ken Hart (khart) generously gave me some Minilite wheels from a Revell Corvette to work with. I cast a resin copy and machined it from a 15 inch five lug into a 13 inch four lug Western Superlite master.

DSC04702_zpsn3mfcsk7.jpg

I gave the wheel a sand cast texture and added machined lugs/washers and the center cap.

DSC04749_zpshhhabn68.jpg

The hood that was engraved into the body was the wrong size and shape, even for the body being a bit stubby. I filled in the missing cowl and hood area then rescribed the rear edge of the hood (with an arc instead of a straight line) as well as adding the fender lines and scribing the windshield frame.

DSC04716_zps1fv9majs.jpg

This will be an interesting build to watch. Though I never owned a Vega, A friend of mine had a 74 Kammback, red with the black interior, with black and white plaid like seat material. By 1984, it was so badly rusted that she had tons of WBAB bumper stickers all around the windshield to try to keep the rain water out. Sometime that year, she was traveling back to Long Island from Brooklyn and the car quit running on the Belt Parkway. She got it off the road and called me to pick her up. When I got there, she had actually already walked up to the next exit to call me so, she was standing at a convenience store with her license plates, and a few belongings in hand. When I asked her if she wanted me to take a look and see if I could get it running, she replied, "Nope, it is dead so I'm walking away from it."

Looking at the photos I'm going to put this one right at 1982, a few months before it got totaled.

It's death stemmed from the lower right ball joint going out and the control arm went through the tire, fortunately I was just pulling out so that was all the damage.

I called for a flat bed and the driver said I needed to remove the driving lights or they would be removed forcibly, since I was only a few blocks from home I ran and got a couple wrenches. When I returned the car was in flames, a moron decided he could nurse it up the bed. Considering the control arm was embedded in the asphalt, I have no idea what logic he was using.

When he tried to start it he flooded the side draft Webers fed by an electric fuel pump and then the car backfired. Dumass left the key on so the pump fed the fire plenty of gas. I was told flames came through the defroster vents and hit the idiot in the face. Served him right.

I sued him won the case and bought the '73 Camaro with a few hundred left over.