Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of MPC's Rounded Line Trucks

Fabrux

Only the Sodbuster has Custom Deluxe and it's only the fender emblems. The interior is still Scottsdale with buckets and console, and the wrap-around trim panel under the rear window is absent.

The Ground Shaker is the same way, only molded in blue instead of yellow.

The box shows a 2WD truck but I seem to remember someone claiming that this is actually a 4WD; can anyone confirm/deny? Edit: Thanks to 1972coronet for confirming that this was indeed the only 2WD offering!

2WD truck Rally wheels:

125ChvyRally1.jpg

Custom grille and rear step bumper from one of these kits:

73upChvyPUparts.jpg

Is there a 73 -74 grill available for these?

Oh how I wish there was. MPC never offered it and I have yet to see one cast in resin. I have seen someone make a 73-74 grille for the Monogram trucks with photoetch mesh; the scale difference between the two probably wouldn't be that noticeable and you'd be able to get away with using the same mesh.

I'm hoping to get a hold of a Blazer kit someday, might have to wait for the reissue to come out. I want to see if the 75-76 grille from the Blazer will fit the pickups. Also, if the pickup grilles will fit the Blazer.

This is great news! A 75-76 pickup can be made to match the Monogram kits. With some finagling one can also build any Blazer from 75-82 with fender swapping and modifying the roof from fully removable (73-75) to half-cab (76-91).

Okay, so, a glaring error that has been staring me in the face if I had just paid attention. I was fiddling with my kits and noticed something strange:

DSC_0724.JPG

The top grille is from the original 4x4 issue. The middle is from the Dust Devil and the bottom is from the Mule Skinner. It looks like for the Dust Devil release they added the chrome surround on the bottom for the 1979 grille, which continued for 1980 as well. Apparently depending on the trim level one got either round or square headlights, which fits in with what Ford and Dodge were doing right around the same time period.

One last thing Chris, The grille in the last version of the kit with the blue model on the box is the one from the Hardcastle truck, not the Fall Guy truck. It was the last version before the blue one so it's just what was in the kit.

After talking about this Tuesday night at the club meeting I dug around to try and find a picture of the Fall Guy box contents. Once again, pj-toys pulled through!

fallguy1.jpg

The grille in the Fall Guy kit is different than the Hardcastle and later AMT issue trucks. The Fall Guy grille is the 81-82 style while the Hardcastle and later issues are 83-84. The bumper is correct in the Fall Guy kit but wrong in the AMT kit. The grille must've been a separate insert and someone goofed when adding the later grille to the Fall Guy chrome tree.

Oh how I wish there was. MPC never offered it and I have yet to see one cast in resin. I have seen someone make a 73-74 grille for the Monogram trucks with photoetch mesh; the scale difference between the two probably wouldn't be that noticeable and you'd be able to get away with using the same mesh.

I'm hoping to get a hold of a Blazer kit someday, might have to wait for the reissue to come out. I want to see if the 75-76 grille from the Blazer will fit the pickups. Also, if the pickup grilles will fit the Blazer.

Thanks, I had a new C3500 in 1973 and would like to build a model of it.

• 1 month later...

Apparently depending on the trim level one got either round or square headlights, which fits in with what Ford and Dodge were doing right around the same time period.

In 1980 (first year for square headlamps on a GM truck), only the Silverado and the Sierra Classic had the square headlamps. All others had the older style round headlamps. In '81, all models went square headlamps.

Thanks for the info, Bill! Sounds like GM did the same thing as Ford during the switch to square headlamps, only a year later.

Curiously, my 1980 Chevrolet brochure only shows square lights on all the trucks, even though they aren't all Silverados...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just received the 1978 Chevy C-10 Annual which I "won" on eBay , and am super excited about having this kit again !

Here's an abridged story as a preface :

In 1978 , I was 8 years old ; glue-together kits were pretty new territory for yours truly . So , on a typical Saturday afternoon trip to Sears in Santa Fe Springs (Ca.) , I found this really cool looking Chevy Pickup . I absolutely had to have it ! $3.25 later , it was mine !

On our next family trip to GemCo in Downey (Ca.) a few months later , the opportunity to purchase another of this kit presented itself . This time , I was going to build the custom version !

Well , even the best of my 8 years old abilities weren't enough to build either version to my satisfaction . I managed to hold on to the built-ups until the 1987 Whittier Earthquake , at which time the kits were destroyed ( :( ) .

I'd see these C-10 annauls on eBay and I wanted one in the worst way ! But , I ne'er had the funds to bid on one ... until very recently :) .

I got one in factory-sealed condition , and at a very reasonable price : ~$70.00 , shipping included !!

My next move is to buy some plain 'steel' wheels with base model hubcaps ( Scenes Unlimited , I'm thinking ... ) , as I've always wanted to build one with those wheels , as far back as 1978 !!

Hmm, I think you may have overpaid a touch! That kit averages around $50-60 these days. I managed to grab one for $30 that had been started slightly. :)

I'm yet to see one --in factory-sealled condition-- for the price I'd paid . Most sealled examples are in the $100's ! Maybe I'm just missing out on those $30 examples ... ?

It's of little consequence ; I've been wanting this kit for more than thirty years , so I'm happy with what I bought :) .

Upon realising that the 1978 Stepside Annual is representative of the Scottsdale trim / model , I began searching internet images of the options and trim which are specific to the Scottsdale model .

I am perplexed ; I'm finding / seeing contradictory info and images , from original brochures to original interiors , and I am unable to ascertain the following :

1.) Gauge Bezel / Dash Applique . The factory brochures mention to the effect (to paraphrase) , "Black [pebble-texture] gauge bezel [and] dash applique" , and yet , I have seen this trim level / model with "bright" applique / gauge bezel ; a combination of "bright" and black , and ; woodgrain .

2.) Upholstery Materials / Floor Covering . Again , I have seen :

- Moulded black rubber mat ;

- Colour-keyed moulded rubber mat , and ;

- Colour-keyed carpet .

Additionally , I have seen seats with either a cloth / vinyl combo , an all-vinyl trim , and a full cloth trim .

3.) Door Panels . It seems that every one of the Scottsdale models have a partial door panel ; a moulded plastic top-three-quarter-cover with the exposed metal painted body colour , with a few having interior colour-keyed paint .

4.) Windshield / Backlight Trim . I've seen either plain black rubber , or black rubber with bright accents (think : 1963-1966 Dart and Valiant) .

While I'm not dead-set on replicating a dead stock model , there are certain aspects which I am aiming for accuracy with . The itemised list above "alludes" to this quest .

I am , unfortunately , unfamiliar with the subtlies of my all-time fave 1970's pickups . I am admittidly more of a MoPar fanatic (but have also always enjoyed every make and model of the "Big 4" ) . With this in-mind , I certainly appreciate any direction / opinions regarding my inquiry .

Thanks ! :)