Model Cars Magazine Forum

I spy some Revell pro street Malibu wheels in the mockup. B)

In retrospect, wished I would have picked out a more traditional wheel and tire combo. Still fairly big in the rear, but less billet looking. I ended up drilling out the Chevy emblems in the wheels and stripping the chrome to tone them down.

Future reference- the wheels from the Revell Lincoln MkVII kit are very cool- still kind of a billet style, but styled to resemble a wide-5 wheel. They even have the old-school V8 emblem engraved on the hubs. B) Since the Lincoln kit used the same tires as the Chevelle they fit those tires like a glove.

I just lost out on a bid on the same kit you're building. The wheel/tire package looks great. I'm surprised you're not using them. Another really nice build of this same kit took one of the Out of Box, or Stock awards at this years IPMS Nationals.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the other day I open this AMT Ford C-600 Cab-over stake side kit. What a neat diversion from cars and light trucks. I just wanted to see what was in the box, but soon after the engine halves were glued together (the official start) and then I started fiddling with the frame ...

Before you know it, the ideas are flowing and I'm working on another project. Sorry for neglecting this WIP.

On with the '40 couple;

To bump up the cool factor, I cut out a strip of .015" brass sheet for a visor. The middle was over bent, and then partially straightened to provide the center crease. Then the ends were bent over in a gentle curve. This was the toughest part of building the visor. It took about 10 or 15 tries before the fit was decent. I still think it's marginal, but life goes on.

IMG_7378b.jpg?psid=1

Here's a couple of shots of the coupe with the body work pretty much finished. The ruddy red primer will be the base color for the wear and tear stage.

IMG_7497b.jpg?psid=1

IMG_7500b.jpg?psid=1

On to some other aspects of the build. Here's one of my favorite parts of this car. I ran across a Ken Hamilton tutorial

on making Mexican blankets. Essentially, you lay individual strands of sewing thread side by side to build up a pattern. This one is made up of about 280 strands in 4 colors; one being green to tie in with the exterior paint.

IMG_7417b.jpg?psid=1

I took this concept a step further and used the Mexican blanket material as upholstery for my seat.

IMG_7488b.jpg?psid=1

Jeff, if you didn't catch the beginning post, this car is already complete. I didn't do a WIP during the build, so I'm do a brief retro-WIP now. Good thought though.

Bernard, to get the edges of the fabric tucked away and achieve a clean edge, I cut the center panels out of the seat, upholstered and then re-inserted them.

IMG_7483c.jpg?psid=1

Here's the passenger side inner panel. I researched the inner structure on the internet and tried to create a reasonably accurate panel. Since I only opened the drivers side door, the passenger side is one piece, front and rear.

IMG_7113b.jpg?psid=1

Here's the panel mounted in position. I love these inner structure shots when the parts are in gray primer. Reminds me of working in a body shop.

IMG_7118c.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

Here's the drivers side door panel. The blob inside the door is epoxy holding the brass hinge. Once the inner panel is painted and weathered, this will provide some character.

IMG_7112c.jpg?psid=1

Window mechanism in place, but before the glass was added.

IMG_7188c.jpg?psid=1

Finally, a shot of the seat and side panel in place. The lower frame of the seat will eventually get some bright foil applied.

On these older cars, I like to create the look of the top loader transmission. Instead of using the ball of the pin as a shift knob, I reverse it and create the shift lever socket. I haven't been able to find pins with silver balls in the smaller diameter. I paint the ball with Floquil bright silver. The crystal knob is two halves super glued together with a small section of brass at the base.

IMG_7516c.jpg?psid=1

Loving every moment of this. A must-follow for us fabrication addicts. I have a general question. For small work like the cutouts in the door panels and the seat cushions, how do you cut so accurately? In the case of the seat cushions they had to have come out virtually intact in order to provide enough material to fit back in accurately. While round holes in the door panels can be created with a drill bit, how about the square ones? Inquiring minds want to know.... :D