Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring 70 1/2 Camaro *First post here*

ll Brandon ll

i keep goin back to look at your frame......excellent work brandon! i gotta try scratchbuilding one very soon........ive never done it before...

what size square tube did you use on that? and any tips you can throw my way would be appreciated. i might do it on a caddy project ill have comin up after the olds is done..

thanks

bryan

It was .080 x .156 rod #167 (2.0mm x 4.0mm. As for building the frame, I used this tutorial as a rough guide, but I kinda did it my way. Dunno if Im hardheaded or talented, LOL. I didnt bend mine like that tho, what I did was make cuts like he said, but thats it. I just make cuts about halfway through the frame and slowly bent it. If it didnt go far enough, I would make more cuts. All about an 1/8 of an inch apart on the INSIDE of the bend. Then, once I had the shape I wanted, I would touch it with some heat to hold it's shape. As for bulding the frame, I first traced the outline of the body on a piece of paper so I could get my general dimensions. One tip I learned the hard way; have your suspenson and roll cage/interior planned out BEFORE you build the frame. Especially the suspension. It makes for an easier time when you need to start adding in all the extra stuff and cutting into the frame, compromising it's structural strength. Past that, it was honestly not quite as hard as I thought it would be, but it was pretty time intensive. When you start to do it, feel free to message me for reference pics or questions. I love to help in anyway I can.

Edited by ll Brandon ll

• 2 weeks later...

I will keep that in mind. Heres my update. The interior is done as far as the build stage goes. I just need to finalize it, lay down the colors, carpet, etc. But, the structure is built. Also built a cage, my first one. Im pretty happy with the result. I plan to add some bars through to the engine bay and some rear bars to the rear frame. Anyway, comments and criticism is always welcome.

stp61362.jpg

stp61368.jpg

stp61369.jpg

stp61371.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words, boys. Much appreciated. Ive gotten quite abit done, but I want to get a few things finalized before I show you the updates, so instead I will leave you with this teaser of what Im thinking the final color will be.

stp61357.jpg

That is a great color. Thanks for sharing everything so far! You've got me excited to go and try to scratch build a frame!

Thanks for the replies, guys I really appreciate the feedback! Heres another small update. Starting the body mods. I added mirrors from the 2010 Camaro, scratch built a hood scoop and spoiler, shaved the door handles. Just gotta do the putty work to smooth it all out and she should be ready for primer and final sanding. Shes really starting to look like something and Im very pleased with it so far. This one has been my most ambitious project yet and I think Ive really stepped my game up on this one. So anyway, comments and criticism is always welcome. Thanks for looking!

stp61372.jpg

stp61373.jpg

stp61374.jpg

stp61375.jpg

stp61376.jpg

stp61377.jpg

Oh, on the headlights, that area around the headlight surrounds... how can I fix that?