Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris you are a true craftsman!  You should be extremely proud of what you have accomplished with this model to this point.  It will truly be a piece of art when it is finished, take a deep breath and finish it when you're ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Fellas..... I know its been quite a while since I have posted anything or any progress. Part of my reason was that I was trying really hard to get this build done in time for GSL and I wanted to dedicate all of my time to building because I had a lot to do in order to get it completed. I will just say this I tired my hardest and time just got the best of me. The build did go to GSL but I just ran out of time, Part of the reason was due to losing a week to being sick and then I had some things with my house as well as some other things in life that comes along. I got it to a point where I did as much as I could and mocked it up to take with me. I had an absolute blast going and meet some really great new friends as well as hanging out with others that I met and hung out with at the last one. So currently I have a list of about 45 items still left to do and I will be plugging away this build and now I don't have to worry about rushing anything.

Bob... Thanks, about 2 days prior I knew I just didn't have the time to get it completed like I wanted to and I had completely been stressing out trying to get it done. Now I don't have to worry I have time...lol but am going to get it done sooner rather than later.

Art... Thanks brother for all of your support. I had a blast hanging out at GSL with ya. Already looking forward to the next one.

Scott... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. No stressing now like I was before...lol

John... Thanks... but the Lady sung and I did my best trying to get it done in time. You saw it there and had fun hanging out with ya.

Jim... Thank you very much and for your support. it means a lot. I have to be honest after this poing I am glad I didn't just rush it to complete it because I probably would of screwed something up. Plus I wouldn't of had the time to get a proper build book completed in time. I am getting back to it already and just hope to check a few items off the list possibly each day or every other.

I am uploading pics to Photobucket and will get some progress pics up real soon. You will have to bear with the crappy pics due to me just using my cell phone for all of the pics

Alright fellas... this should be a pretty big update with the multiple files I am going to be uploading. Again I am sorry about the quality of some of the pics... Let me get to uploading pics...

So my adventure began with trying to finish this build starting with the wheels and tires, I polished the Aluminum rims that Jim from Micro Nitro made for me.  Then the Tires I painted with the Technique that John Teresi taught me a while back using some Folk Art paints. After painting the rubber tires black, I used a stencil that I picked up and painted on the Goodyear using a white Folk Art Paint:

DP-Army-Vega%208005-1_zpshpsd1otg.jpg

I then added the goodyear deals to the front tire:

Next, I weathered the tires:

Then I got the tires mounted onto the rims:

I then decided to work on the butterfly shaft for the injector hat, started by notching some tube that would lay flat against the Photo-Etch Butterflies I got from Scott at Future Attraction, after Notching the tube I took the butterflies and transfer drilled the holes into the shaft with a .016" drill bit for the mounting rivets:

Edited by Mooneyzs

After getting the notches into the butterfly shaft I had to check the fit with the butterfly:

I decided that I wanted to see the tires mounted on the chassis to see what the rolling chassis would look like:

I got the butterflies painted with Mr. Hobby clear red and mounted the butterflies into the injector hat that was painted with Alclad's Polished Aluminum

I then added the rivets to the butterfly shaft:

I had to mock the injector hat up on the engine to take a look and see how it looked sitting on the engine. I this pic you can also see the starter engagement the I designed and drew up with my CAD software and then had it 3D printed, painted and installed it with the hardware:

It was time to tackle the plumbing nightmare on the injector hat. some of it fought me for a bit but I was able to get it completed. The K-Style Barrel Valve and Fuel Distribution Block were drawn up and 3D Printed. All of the injector lines were bent from .020" piano wire. All of the Black nuts were from RB Motion that I drilled out so they would slide over some .03125" brass tubing to represent the sleeve in a flared tube fitting:

I made the linkages drawing them up and having them 3D printed, then I used RB Motions smallest (part #1500) Rod Ends to create the connecting linkages from the Barrel Valve to the Injector Hat:

I attached the linkages to the Injector Hat:

I worked on getting the gas peddle mounted and installed. The gas pedal was painted with Alclad Chrome. I made the Morse throttle cable from some pvc tubing, tubing, rod and RB Motion distributor cap boots for 1/16th scale and 1/25th scale for the rubber boots. I also made a connecting link that attached to the gad peddle:

I got the toggle switch glued in place that was fabricated a while back from scratch building the base and using a Top Studio Toggle Switch photo etch set. Along with getting the brake handle mounted in place:

Here is a mock up of the car and how it went to GSL. As I mentioned before Time got the best of me and there just wasn't enough time in the days to get it done for the show, which was ok. I underestimated the amount of time that I would need to finish it:

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hi,I am new to the model forum. I have read every page of this thread and I am amazed at the talent and dedication you and others show when they are creating something they are passionate about

I am happy to see you are back at it, Maybe I will learn something.

WOW.......................just WOW!      I believe the hardest bits are done now and it's truly light at the end of the tunnel for you Chris.  Soon you'll be on that FED rail of yours & I for one, can't wait to see what you do with that build.  This has been a massive undertaking by any measure but you certainly proved up to the task.  The entire engine is stunning, just like the entire car.  But that thing is a jewel.  Congratulations Chris on crossing an important thresh hold on the Vega.  cheers

Chris.... first off let me welcome you to this forum. You will find That it is a great forum with a bunch of awesome builders to learn from. Feel free to ask any questions you may have to anyone. I have found a bunch of helpful people here and have learned a lot from many. Second, thank you for taking the time to go through this thread and follow along. I know there are a lot of pages to go thru because of how long this build  has been going on.I appreciate the kind words.

Bob... thank you

Scott... thanks, I don't see it as a masterpiece because of all of my struggles Inhave had with it.

Brad.... thank you. I can't wait to take pics of it outside when It finally gets done. You need to experience GSL at some point. It's a great show to go to.

Tim....thank you for the kind words my friend. They are encouraging for sure. There are a few more tough things to do but most of the hard stuff is hopefully behind me and That I don't have anymore set backs at this point. I want to have this thing done so bad so I can start a handful of other builds Inhave been wanting to do. But soon I will have it done.

Bob.... thank you very much. I can't wait until I can tell you all that it is finally completed. Hopefully much sooner than later...lol

Bill... Thanks.

Sflam... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words.

Jesse... Thanks man... Cheers!!

Dave... Thank you very much Sir!! You know it on the Box Stock build. I have a Tamiya kit all picked out that is going to be box stock, the only thing I will be adding to it is carbon fiber decals. I have been itching to do this one for quite some time and have held myself back from doing so until I finish this one and then I can unwind with it. I think I can possibly build it in a month or two.... well hopefully a month or less, that's my goal anyway.

That last image, the one with the engine in full trim and the ARMY Vega shell in the background, made my eyes water, what a piece of art! I've quietly sat and watched this happen for years and years with you and everyone else here... bravo ! I'm an illustrator of anything automotive, and drag racing in particular, but I've never seen detail like that, and I do detail for a living.

Chris!   It was great to see this baby on the table at GSL and even better to hang out with you, my friend!  

People,  Chris is a class guy and this creation of his is as good as any funny car ever gets ~~ in any scale, including 1:1.

It is truly spectacular and spell-binding!   The more you look, the more you see.  Even though it was unfinished, it held its own with any of the entries at GSL (finished or not), and had it been in competition, there would likely have been a different Best of Show than the one selected. 

Wowww..I had the opportunity to see this masterpiece in person at the las GSL and I have to tell you guys that see all these pictures here its not even close to see it in person. It's really a model in another level. I personally gave thanks to Chris and now here in front of all the forum mates to give me much of the information and inspiration to build mine in 1/25...

Simón P. Rivera Torres