Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Camaro Prototype Concept

Scale-Master

Thanks guys!

Your observations are duly noted, but I planned this out as far as what the styling parameters were to be well before laying saw to plastic.

It can’t make use of the 1975 and later wrap around rear window because it did not exist in 1969.

whistling.gif

GMfbodyrrwindow.jpg

I like the idea you're using, but I think it would've worked better with the '67-8's more rounded, smooth lines, rather than the '69 more linear, sharper lines. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

whistling.gif

GMfbodyrrwindow.jpg

I like the idea you're using, but I think it would've worked better with the '67-8's more rounded, smooth lines, rather than the '69 more linear, sharper lines. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Be that as it may, since the second generation Camaro was actually produced without a wrap around rear window through 1974, it still would not work on this model in the scenario described. Thanks for playing!

I like the idea and this is great work but I agree with Casey. The tops of the front finders are too sharp and in too much contrast with the soft "hips" of the rear quarters.

Just the same you are doing an awesome job with this.

Edited by seveeRRacing

I like the idea and this is great work but I agree with Casey. The tops of the front finders are too sharp and in too much contrast with the soft "hips" of the rear quarters.

Just the same you are doing an awesome job with this.

"I like the idea you're using, but I think it would've worked better with the '67-8's more rounded, smooth lines, rather than the '69 more linear, sharper lines. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out."

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have to disagree. First of all, using an existing design (1969) combined with a future design (1970) severely negates the likelihood of a '67-'68 Camaro body being used after the '69 Camaro was being produced. It simply would not be a step forward for one of the most popular cars in GM's line up to use an earlier year's design and therefore is not an option in this excersize.

In addition, the front fenders of the '67-'68 Camaro's are still way too "peaky" to properly balance with the soft shape of the '70. And an added benefit of using a '69 is the shape of the wheel wells are closer to the shape of the '70's. Using a '67-'68 front clip would look much more unbalanced due to that fact.

The chassis is pretty much done on the bottom side. The bell housing has intentional overspray to replicate the way factory motors were assembled.

DSC09699.jpg

While I too am bothered by the smooth hip lines as opposed to the front fender lines... Mark has indeed proposed a logically and beautifully constructed interpretation of a "what if" model. The lines on the Corvette back in 62 were incongruous as well with 50's smooth and bulbous in the front and sharp and taut in the back!

Beautiful work Mark... as always! ;)

BTW, This is something I wanted to do to the '74 Mustang... by creating an interium styling excercise bridging the vast change from the long low '73 to the short stubby little Mustang II.

BTW, This is something I wanted to do to the '74 Mustang... by creating an interium styling excercise bridging the vast change from the long low '73 to the short stubby little Mustang II.

Now that would be a challenge Jairus, the two platforms are so different in size. Maybe if you used a 1/24 scale Mustang II and a 1/25 scale '73 Mustang...? The cool part is you can make whatever you want... Have you sketched that out yet?

Now that would be a challenge Jairus, the two platforms are so different in size. Maybe if you used a 1/24 scale Mustang II and a 1/25 scale '73 Mustang...? The cool part is you can make whatever you want... Have you sketched that out yet?

Oh yeah!

Sketched and published back in Roy Sorensons Plastic Fanatic. Even discussed the very project on those pages... complete with misspellings! ;)

But don't ask the issue number because I have no idea.