Model Cars Magazine Forum

79 Daytona winner

novadose71

From one of the most famous finishes in Daytona history, and I believe the first televised start to finish NASCAR race. Most eyes weren't even on the finish line at the time Richard got the checkered flag....they were on the infield brawl between Cale and the Allison clan following their crash.

This was built curbside with an SMH Cutlass body and a Chassis of unknown origin. The body was very thick and took considerable grinding with my Dremel to get the wheelwell area's thin enough to look good....and also to fit tires under the fenders. After drilling the fuel filler I made a new one and prepped the body for the Petty blue and fluorescent red paint from MCW. Decals were sourced from several kit and aftermarket sheets. The ill fitting windows were stolen from an unbuilt kit that I can't recall. I made the grille's with some mesh I had lying around, trimmed 'em with BMF, and gave them a shot of dullcote before super gluing on. The bumpers are from the SMH kit and were sprayed gloss black, the strip masked off and sprayed with Alclad. I stretched and mangled the exhaust dumps from aluminum tube. IIRC the tires were from a kit with the lettering shaved, some kit decals added, shot with Dullcote and weathered slightly. Wheels and window net are from Plastic Performance Products.

RPetty79500.jpg

Daytona6032.jpg

Daytona6206.jpg

Daytona6013.jpg

Daytona6139.jpg

Daytona6195.jpg

Daytona6200.jpg

Edited by novadose71

• 1 month later...