Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody interested in 1/24 Rolls Royce Merlin engines?

One of my first casting experiments (couple of years back) was a 1/24 Merlin V12 from a Spitfire.

I always wanted to make a tractor-pull with them and I wanted to fit one in a '70s muscle. So far, I haven't gotten to that myself, but because of another project, I started casting these engines again and was really immpressed by the detail of those engines.

I could cast a couple more engines if there are people here interested for some nice swap-projects.

Hi Erik. Yes I too am interested in your RR Merlin. I happen to have this engine from Alan Raab at "Ma's Resin". At one time, on his online catalog, he also offered a Packard V12 Merlin, but I was unable to get that one. I could take some photos of it, but it is still in the wrapping. Both of these resin engines looked quite different from each other, I thought.

Okay, more interest than I thought there was going to be haha.

I made a picture of ALL the parts it will include: 1. I mastered the engine as a whole chunk of resin and it works for me.

Overall it makes into a nice V12, which can go any way, depends on the creativity and madness of the builder. there are 2 overflow ducts on the valvecovers, but they sand off easily.

And also; What would be a reasonable price for such thing?

resin011.jpg

resin012.jpg

resin013.jpg

resin014.jpg

resin015.jpg

so no induction system? any suggestions other than scratchbuilding?

I take it that rectangle on the sides is the exhaust header? sorry, not that up on airplane engine looks...took me a lot of years just to make some sense of the AMT Allison engine intake and exhaust!

looks very detailed to me, very nice. I would be in for at least one depending on price.

on price I would say up to maybe 30$? equivalent to maybe a ross Gibson kit?

really for me price doesn't make that much difference; if I want it I get it.

jb

@William, I agree with you, however, when I I made the mold a couple years back, I purposly made only the engineblock basics, the stuff that is necessary for a V12.

I wanted a clean engine, so I could add whatever I wanted on intake and exhaust. My main reason was flexibility and I have plenty spareparts I could choose from.

Carbs, gearboxes, beltdrives, etc....

To be frank; It doesn't make sense for me to offer it with a complete induction and gearbox setup; 1 main reason; I have to make all new molds and it would be made only for selling them, so investing. I am not looking to make a profit or run a business. I happen to have the mold and I can make some people share it with me.

Plus if I add the setup, it will interesting to less people, because the engine is now a blank canvas and than it has one purpose.

Pricewise, Don't you think 30 dollars is a bit steep? I am not even close to a resincaster and like I said, I am not in for the profit. I was thinking myself of daring to ask 10-15 dollars per engine (as it is now, just the engine block).

PM me for price information, please.

yeah I do think 30 is kinda high, but I was considering letting you make a little something for your time and effort.

but at 15 I would definitely buy one. when it comes time PM me (I might not be tuning into this thread at the moment) and I will be good for my word on it

jb

@Andy, I don't think shipping will be 15 dollars. I think it even might fit in a a padded enveloppe, but I have to figure that out if it is save. Shipping them all at once to a member in the States and have him ship them within the states is also a option.

But those are small issues to be dealt with. Trading them for a modelkit is not a problem either, but I don't think it will be interesting since shipping to europe is not that ideal.

@William; your's ready.

I have now made a couple of engines and I have now a little stash that I can ship out. Who else is interested?

I would be interested in this too. Something to consider using the posts feedback, maybe $15.00 for the base like you have and if you want to go a step farther, $30.00 maybe even $35.00 with a complete induction and exhaust. Just my opinion. After seeing fastback340's T bucket pic, I am even more interested!!

William,

I have read the PM, but was busy at work and with family, my apologies.

For the fun of it; I even made a 'retail'-packaging haha:

resin016.jpg

(sorry Ross Gibson for the idea)

I believe I can ship it in a padded enveloppe, it will be close to the 32mm max thickness, but it should be ok. That way, shipping would be only 5 dollars.

• 2 weeks later...