Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for bright colored detail wire

I have tons of the red, white or blue hookup wire that comes in spools at Radio Shack/The Source. I know the bright colored wires ( orange, yellow, purple ect) that we buy from aftermarket companies is essentially the same wire, i just cant find any, anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on spools of this stuff?

Edited by Evil Appetite

Mike, are you looking for coated wire? OR would certain gauge regular wire work? I know Michael's carries some gauged wire in bright colors, maybe even the bead section at the store might have something that would work. Just an idea and typing out loud it you will. LOL

Chris

Don't know exactly what colors you want, but you can buy "phone wire" by the foot at any home improvement store for a few cents a foot. There are four different colored coated wires inside... black, yellow, green and red. They scale out to approx. 1/24-25 scale ignition wire.

Also... you can buy white (coated) wire at Radio Shack or a similar place, and make it any color you want with a colored permanent marker, like a Sharpie.

Don't know exactly what colors you want, but you can buy "phone wire" by the foot at any home improvement store for a few cents a foot. There are four different colored coated wires inside... black, yellow, green and red. They scale out to approx. 1/24-25 scale ignition wire.

Also... you can buy white (coated) wire at Radio Shack or a similar place, and make it any color you want with a colored permanent marker, like a Sharpie.

Wow..that's so simple..it never occurred to me to use a Sharpie lol Thanks Harry!

I disagree with you harry about the "phone wire". It's too big for ignition wire and is better suited to strip the wire out and use the coating for wiring boots. The aftermarket colored ignition fit very nicely inside the "boot".

The coatings can also be used for fuel line fittings.

Since you have already been to Radio Shack.... go back - as they also sell spools of white too! The diameter is perfect for ignition wire and like Harry suggested... you can color it with a felt tip pen. Even fluorescent colors and how cool is that!!! :D