Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa '58 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa!!!!!

larrygre

Vintage Ferrari fans have had one of their prayers answered. Hasegawa has scheduled for release in April 2008 an all-new 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - and yes, my friends, it is the much wanted PONTOON FENDERED car!!! This is not a rumor, its a FACT - Item SKU is #21219. Details (what there is of them) is at http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=HAS21219.

The listing is in the Collection Rally series, so I have to assume it will be a curbside, but knowing Hasegawa it will be special.

Now who will be the one to bring us a mainstream injection molded 250 Berlinetta Lusso?? Hasegawa, Italeri, Tamiya, Revell - pretty please??????

Edited by larrygre

Vintage Ferrari fans have had one of their prayers answered. Hasegawa has scheduled for release in April 2008 an all-new 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - and yes, my friends, it is the much wanted PONTOON FENDERED car!!! This is not a rumor, its a FACT - Item SKU is #21219. Details (what there is of them) is at http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=HAS21219.

The listing is in the Collection Rally series, so I have to assume it will be a curbside, but knowing Hasegawa it will be special.

Now who will be the one to bring us a mainstream injection molded 250 Berlinetta Lusso?? Hasegawa, Italeri, Tamiya, Revell - pretty please??????

There is a God! Thanks for the announcement, Lar'!

Biscuitbuilder

Cool...this has never been kitted before? Resin?

I believe Model Factory Hiro has done TRs in resin, but as we all know those kits are enormously expensive. Other than those, the only 1/24 scale TR I know of was the old BBurago diecast - not bad, but a bit clunky.

I believe Model Factory Hiro has done TRs in resin, but as we all know those kits are enormously expensive. Other than those, the only 1/24 scale TR I know of was the old BBurago diecast - not bad, but a bit clunky.

Ahhh...I remember the Bburago..I think I have one in a bright green somewhere in my stash..

Renaissance has done the TR in 1/24, as well as Danbury Mint. With the Hasegawa announcement Renaissance has said they'll offer optional decals (he posted on GPMA about it since the Hasegawa kit renders his resin pretty much useless). The Danbury Mint model is pretty nice, the Renaissance model is okay but the body is kind of wavy. I have a MFH TR and am not terribly impressed with it; it's got a lot of nice things about it but the white metal hood/deck don't fit their respective holes in the resin body and it's not a simple fix by any stretch. I'm sure I'll be a lot happier overall w/the Hasegawa kit. If it's anything like the Miura it will be perfect.

Hope this is just the start of some new/modern kits of some ignored vintage Ferraris. A Lusso would be a nice addition to the line. I bugged Ed Sexton's ear in November at Rennsport and ACME NNL about getting Italeri to reissue their 250 SWB kit that's only been issued once, it's the best of the styrene SWB's and would be welcomed by anyone interested in building plastic Ferraris. Since MRC is tied w/Italeri, he has some influence there that I hope he can help get Italeri interested in going down the street in Maranello and getting some licensing deals going once again. Seems like a no-brainer if they have the tooling and a hungry worldwide audience.

Hope this is just the start of some new/modern kits of some ignored vintage Ferraris. A Lusso would be a nice addition to the line. I bugged Ed Sexton's ear in November at Rennsport and ACME NNL about getting Italeri to reissue their 250 SWB kit that's only been issued once, it's the best of the styrene SWB's and would be welcomed by anyone interested in building plastic Ferraris. Since MRC is tied w/Italeri, he has some influence there that I hope he can help get Italeri interested in going down the street in Maranello and getting some licensing deals going once again. Seems like a no-brainer if they have the tooling and a hungry worldwide audience.

Not only the 250SWB, but the 250 GT Spyder, the 275 and 365 variants woud be welcome as well. I'd really love to see all those kits in white plastic instead of the normal red, black and "silver" plastic. But you are right about the SWB, it would be a most welcome re-issue!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Testa Rossa has finally shown up at Hobbylink Japan and Hobbysearch for preorder. In addition to the basic kit, Hasegawa is also making an optional set of photoetch detail wire wheels for the model. Hobbysearch has an exploded view of the wheels:

Testa Rossa Upgrade Wheels

The basic plastic kit will have plastic wheels. Hopefully they're as nice as the ones from a Tamiya Jaguar or Protar 250 GTO. For the fussy modeler, the detail wheels will be the hot setup. Kit is 3000 yen, wheels are 2100 yen.

The Testa Rossa has finally shown up at Hobbylink Japan and Hobbysearch for preorder. In addition to the basic kit, Hasegawa is also making an optional set of photoetch detail wire wheels for the model. Hobbysearch has an exploded view of the wheels:

Testa Rossa Upgrade Wheels

The basic plastic kit will have plastic wheels. Hopefully they're as nice as the ones from a Tamiya Jaguar or Protar 250 GTO. For the fussy modeler, the detail wheels will be the hot setup. Kit is 3000 yen, wheels are 2100 yen.

Thanks for the heads-up. I just pre-ordered a few of both the wheels and the model. I'm looing foward to the release of this kit.

There are some good photos of the test shot on a Japanese website. This kit looks sweet! Full detail, and the plastic wire wheels look more than adequate if you choose not to buy the upgrade photoetch set.

Photos of the Testa Rossa test shot

I hope the kit is designed so that you can glue/paint the front portion of the model with the rest (see area at the base of the pontoon, there's a parting line back to the leading edge of the door necessitated by the undercut, it has to be multi-piece) before final assembly. It gets tricky if not (anyone building an accurate Jaguar XKE can attest to that).

There are some good photos of the test shot on a Japanese website. This kit looks sweet! Full detail, and the plastic wire wheels look more than adequate if you choose not to buy the upgrade photoetch set.

Photos of the Testa Rossa test shot

I hope the kit is designed so that you can glue/paint the front portion of the model with the rest (see area at the base of the pontoon, there's a parting line back to the leading edge of the door necessitated by the undercut, it has to be multi-piece) before final assembly. It gets tricky if not (anyone building an accurate Jaguar XKE can attest to that).

WOW! That looks great! Thanks for the news and the test shot pics! Life's good!

AAAARGH!! I want this kit NOW!!

That is a beautiful build! Don't really care much for the wheels............the PE ones will look much better on this. I can already see some superdetailing on that engine!...........Linkage and all!

I've got mine preordered..............I CAN'T WAIT! :(

Edited by MrObsessive