Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 America's Most Beautiful Roadster Winner! Totally Traditional!

:wub: I think this is a pretty good indication the well-done, traditional cars are now mainstream cool, will be for several years at least. Are you listening, Revell ?

Remarkably similar overall to the Eddie Dye car of 1951, a '29 shell on '32 rails...

DSCN2109.jpg

...the Niekamp roadster (the 1950 AMBR winner)

l.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Everything old is new again. I wonder how this compares in build quality compared to some of the original AMBR winners? The car is very tastefully done... some of the stuff from the 60's and 70's... YIKES! Ace I agree, the retro market is there. It may very well have longer lasting shelf life than some of the new releases. Here's to hoping for more versions from RM.

Everything old is new again. I wonder how this compares in build quality compared to some of the original AMBR winners? The car is very tastefully done... some of the stuff from the 60's and 70's... YIKES! Ace I agree, the retro market is there. It may very well have longer lasting shelf life than some of the new releases. Here's to hoping for more versions from RM.

The build quality is MUCH better than it was eons ago, and some builders I know complain about the fact that EVERYTHING gets looked at, chromed, polished, painted, etc, and that the cars are static sculpture, WAY too nice to drive. Stuff in the '50s was mostly stick or gas-welded, and the bits that were hidden were often pretty grotty indeed. Just the advances in MIG and TIG welding availability have changed things , much for the better.

Still, there is a growing number of traditional cars being built as drivers, with vastly superior workmanship than was common in the early days, and I expect the trend to continue.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

As I understand it, overall "driveability" and ergonomics were an important judging factor this year. Seemed like there were quite a few more "traditional" appearing cars among the candidates and less of the smoothed, stretched and re-proportioned design exercises that bear only a passing resemblance to their origins.

Very pleased to see this car get its due recognition, and the color couldn't be more perfect for it. I'm with Bill, as usual...I hope we see the kit co's finally pick up on the true direction of things and give us more to work with along these lines.

Very nice. I look forward to the spread in TRJ.

I particularly like the complete absence of billet parts (as far as I can see) and that they didn't feel the need to polish or chrome every single thing under the bonnet.