Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes Benz 300SL "Gullwing"- Interior Door pane

simonr

The door panels in this model come very well deatiled if you accept they were designed to be in the closed position. Remember I opened them. In any way, they have to be reworked to make them a little bit more realistic. It just come with a part that makes complete the door lock, the interior door release handle, and the outside open handle.

Here you can see the original outside handle and the keylock. I just used that outside handle from the plastic part and for the keylock, I glued together 2 washers from the model car garage set.

DSC04902.jpg

How it being.

DSC05687.jpg

I also add bare metal foil to the moulding and with a black artist pen, I simulated the rubber seal outside the metal moulding in the real car. Here you can see the difference among the two doors.

DSC05685.jpg

For the interior lock release, I had to carved some solder wire in order to make them to shape. Here you can see the real part and how being mine.

DSC04898.jpg

DSC05719.jpg

DSC05728.jpg

I added some bolt heads to the upholstery and the metal plate base to the interior lock release sistem. I even added the bolt head that goes right in the middle of the release buttom.

DSC05730.jpg

Outside view of the door.

DSC05734.jpg

Inside view.

DSC05738.jpg

Bolt heads along the interior panel.

DSC05736.jpg

Just some more item to the interior and will go to the engine.

Simon

An accident made an interesting detail to the interior. I accidentally droped a drop of glue right in the middle of the two seats. To cover that error(because you guys don't expect that I would take out again and repaint!), I scaled down a map of Germany and folded it to place it were the drop is. Remember this cars were use to take long trips in Europe. Also this over view tell you guys how the model it's being.

DSC05752.jpg

Just some more item to the interior and will go to the engine.

Simon