Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tutorial - Tractor style hot rod grill shell

Just to add something to this.... I created a tractor grille using one of the gas tanks from a Revell Gamblers motorycle kit. I just widened the tank and cut slots in it the same way shown here. - Bill

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to add something to this.... I created a tractor grille using one of the gas tanks from a Revell Gamblers motorycle kit. I just widened the tank and cut slots in it the same way shown here. - Bill

I have a Terraplane grille I started laying around somewhere based on one of those tanks. :rolleyes:

Rob,

Very cool technique!

This will come in handy when I begin this project.

Engine-5.jpg

It is my hometown's 1939 American LaFrance City Service Ladder Truck. It will require extensive scratchbuilding. I am beginning to gather photos and measurements from some antique apparatus owners before I get started... BTW, I will be in St. Pete on Monday to take a test for a possible job...

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

A friend of mine recently suggested I try this, and I put it off for a long time. Finally, in a parts swap, he sent me the fenders with the "assignment", so I meshed it with a "what if Edsel did a tractor" thought. I may have even shown these elsewhere on the forum earlier this summer when I made them. Since I had two ends, I just made two types.

med_gallery_8985_809_12911.jpg

gallery_8985_809_539272.jpg

• 2 months later...

IMG_4213-vi.jpg

I created this one from the tutorial and two rear fenders from the AMT '53 Ford pickup. I had it on the car, but went with a traditional Model A grill shell instead. It just looked too much like a character from CARS for this build! It's sitting on my shelf and eventually will wind up on a build!

I think it looks great Tom.

Thanks Rob! Now here's the funny thing. I even posted on the boards asking which front treatment folks preferred... the tractor nose or the standard Model A grill. Folks chose the Model A piece, and I preferred it too, so I went with it. One of my thoughts was that I'd use both. I'd set it up so that either would mount on pins. Then I thought that wouldn't be realistic... so what do I see on eBay Motors? A car that had just that! It showed with the Model A grill on it and the track nose painted to match and sitting next to it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...