Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Unswitchable - Update 6-4-15

TooOld

I started work on this probably two years ago and haven't really touched it in 18 months .

I pulled it out last week and finished up the grille and bumpers , then found some wheels and tires to take these photos . It needs some body work and the flares added to wheel openings and to the roof opening .

Like the title says this will be a long project but it's back on my bench and I hope to get the body finished in a couple of weeks , then start the custom chassis !

file-vi.jpg

Edited by TooOld

Misc010-vi.jpg

Very similiar to a clone of Doug Dempsey's Car Model cover build from 1967 that I am working on for the Museum in SLC. This was done prior to the kit release and I am working from the dimensions outlined in the article. Interestingly I saw this model under construction at the time. Sadly it was lost in a flood not too long ago. This photo is an old one from a few years ago. If I get two minutes to spare I'll take new ones. This thing is fighting me all the way. Anyone know how to attach the clutch cable to the throwout lever? Yeah, it's that detailed.

My pet peave is the chassis in the old MPC kit is nothing like the actual car

I didn't realize this before but I just did some google-imaging and you're right--the MPC kit is almost nothing like the rear car, except for the chopped top.

Oh well, I think I'll just restore my old MPC builtup OOB anyway. Does Model Master Chevy Engine Red look about right for the body color?

On 3/25/2015 at 6:38 PM, Snake45 said:

I didn't realize this before but I just did some google-imaging and you're right--the MPC kit is almost nothing like the rear car, except for the chopped top.

Oh well, I think I'll just restore my old MPC builtup OOB anyway. Does Model Master Chevy Engine Red look about right for the body color?

The first stock wheelbase car could definitely be Chevy Engine red (note yellow lettering - stretched car had white lettering) . The second 120" wheelbase car seems to have more orange in the color .

3a (2)

3a (3)

More of the 120" WB car . . . 

3a

3b

3c

3d

3e

3f

Edited by TooOld

â„— Wow, that is an ambitious project! Looks great so far...Legendary modeler Guy Beaudette did an amazing replica of this car that I think may have been featured on a cover of the now-defunct Car Modeler magazine.

Is it just me or does the perspective of that last shot make it look like that Moon tank is the size of a beer keg?

6_zps8kekx0sa.png

â„— Wow, that is an ambitious project! Looks great so far...Legendary modeler Guy Beaudette did an amazing replica of this car that I think may have been featured on a cover of the now-defunct Car Modeler magazine.

Is it just me or does the perspective of that last shot make it look like that Moon tank is the size of a beer keg?

I sat down and spent the day working on the frame . It still needs a couple of crossmembers added , then I can start building the roll cage .

It was fun drilling all of those holes ! :lol:

Edited by TooOld

I sat down and spent the day working on the frame . It still needs a couple of crossmembers added , then I can start building the roll cage .

It was fun drilling all of those holes ! :lol:

Not to mention all of the holes in the shock mounts you still have the pleasure of. :o Great start on the frame and the overall project. :D

I am sure you've seen this. I found this some time ago.

I've always wanted to build this car but with the kits chassis isnt even close to the 1/1 ,,,plus my skills are WAYYYYY below what it would take to scratch build the right one. I gave up and sold the builtup I had a few years ago.

But I am definitly going to watch this one come to life . That car was way cool and most liklely a one of a kind .

post-9887-0-85703300-1427637118_thumb.pn

I've made some progress on the frame . The engine/trans is the 421SD from the AMT 62 Catalina .

Suspension mounts are next then it's back to doing some body work ! :D

Edited by TooOld