Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... yep yep ;)

John... thanks brother. I have been working little on the truck here and there when i need a break from the funny car. Hoping to ha ve the truck done in a few weeks.

Joe.... thanks buddy. Glad to see you back on here. How's the healing of the hand. I can't wait to see you back on a build. Especially another pro mod.

Well fellas little update fpr you.... i caught some stomach bug and have been laid up on the couch all day. Hoping I will feel much better tomorrow so I can finish sanding parts and paint stuff on wednesday.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave... Thanks buddy. Yeah its nice to have a few different subjects going at a time and nice to have a break and something else to work on.

Ok Fellas..... Tomorrow is D-Day..... I have gotten the chassis parts all sanded and prepped to be painted. This is a big milestone on this project for me and can't wait to have it done. Here is the sand I made tonight to hold the chassis while I paint it tomorrow:

Here is the Chassis and Chassis Painting stand made just for this build:

DP-Army-Vega3281-1_zps5eaa9e26.jpg

Here are the other chassis parts:

DP-Army-Vega3283-1_zpsfaf55c8b.jpg

Danno... I couldn't wait to get paint on it today.... :lol:

Aaron... I promise no more teasing. I have pics to show ;)

Brad... I have been waiting for this day for quite some time now and feels great it finally got here. Great quote :D

Scott... Thank you sir

Rom.... How the heck are you buddy?? It's great to see you back on here. I have been wondering where you have been and how you were doing. I am looking forward to seeing you back on some of your builds.

Dave... Thanks man... You are right that it can be a nerve racking moment with the build. I had a few close calls today.. :lol:

Larry... Thanks man... Yeah I had to figure out how I was going to hold the chassis. when I primered it, I just used used wire that I wrapped around bolts that went into where the axle mounted. well every time I sprayed primer it wanted to swing on me so I came up with a simple idea to hold it in place :D.

Ok Fellas... So today was the day and I did get to spray some color on the chassis this morning. Just haven't had time to post them til now. I started around 7 am and probably sprayed until 11/11:30. I am happy it is over and now the parts have been sitting in my garage which is around 95/100 at the moment LOL. Ok I will stop teasing and post some pics....

Here is the first couple of coats on the front axle and parts:

DP-Army-Vega3288-1_zps09ba9ab9.jpg

Here I think was the 2nd coat of HOK black base on the chassis, don't mind the chevelle body in the back ground. its an extra body I always test paint on and probably had like and 1/8" thick layer of paint on it...lol :

DP-Army-Vega3291-1_zps961a4a16.jpg

Another shot of the chassis with more base on it:

DP-Army-Vega3292-1_zps40d3c2ca.jpg

Here is the front pieces with my PPG Concept 20/20 urethane clear on it. I believe I sprayed 3 coats maybe 4 though:

DP-Army-Vega3292-1_zps40d3c2ca.jpg

Here is the chassis cleared with 4 coats of clear, sorry the pic isn't that good because of the sunlight. I will get better pics of it later when I have it of the paint stand:

DP-Army-Vega3302-1_zpsc32e61ae.jpg

Aaron.... thanks buddy. I would like to partly get the rolling chassis together bit was thi king of jumping back to the body and body tin work. I also wamt to jump back on the motor...lol. the body i still need to cut the escPe hatch out as well as make the air damns ober the front tires. To get the rolling chassis going I need to now Alclad the front axle then i canpretryvmuch permentanly mount the rear end and front axle bit teying to think if there is anyhing else i need do before that.

Danno.... thanks buddy!!

WOW!!! Now we have some paint on it and it looks great!!! Nice work with the painting, and since you did the sanding and putty work really well, I bet there will be no flaws or mistakes in the paint. You're doing excellent work, as always, I can't wait to see more of this one!

Niko... thanks buddy. You don't know how good it feels to finally have some paint on the chassis. i will get to take a better look at the chassis and examune it a little better today since I left it alone overnight in my garage. I am hoping the clear looks ok in a few areas. Tube chassis are are a little more tricky to clear than just a normal body lol. But I was happy with what I saw yeaterday.