Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thunderbolt colors

gtx6970

I am getting some ideas for winter projects and it's all Thunderbolts

What is the best rattle can choices for both the Maroon ( and Gold ) on the Tasca Ford and the Phil Bonner cars ?

Butch Leals car was black correct ?

Was the Conner Ford car a bright white or more of a milky white ?

I've gotten really close matches to the Ford burgundy color with Testors burgundy red. I've used Testors light blue as an undercoat, and the result is remarkable. I own a Heritage Burgundy '63 Falcon Sprint, and it's amazing how similar the painted model is to the real car.

I'm no expert and don't have access to the full size paints you mention, but I have built most of these cars using Tamiya paints. The Tasca car used the cans mentioned by Carl. I picked up a can of Champagne Gold car paint to best match a picture I had of the Bob Ford car. As an aside, I believe all cars came with tan coloured interiors.

I hope you have as much fun as I did, they are great kits to build with very few issues. :)

004-2.jpg

bobford2_zps458e032f.jpg

Edited by maltsr

Many Thanks fellas.

I will pick up the Tamaya paint next week if my local hobby shop has it, if not I will get some ordered.

Already have the Champange color on hand ( used it for a 1965 Dodge Interior color )

I think these kits set the bar for Revell and I have maybe 10-12 kits unbuilt . Already have the Hubert Platt and Gas Ronda cars done.

Platt2_zps603a1b94.jpg

Ronda1_zps84ff28ca.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I bought one from Yates Ford in Chicago, it was Baby Blue with a two tone blue interior!! I wish that I still had it, but with a new baby, I had to get rid of it!

when did you buy your t-bolt?was there a sponser name on the car?the reason I ask is I was not aware of the interior color other than gold/beige.of course anyone could have had the car painted blue after delivery.

Great info.

I will ck the Krylon color for the interiors .

I looked thru my decal sheets and I have 2 different sheets for the Leal car. A white lettering sheet that has ' Frank Leal and Sons ' on it.

And a 2nd sheet that has both white and gold lettering on it ( Fred Cady sheet ) maybe it does both cars ?

I also have sheets to do the Archway Ford car, the Bob Ford car, Reynolds Ford, and the Al Means Ford

I think I have my work cut out for me over the next 6 months (give or take 6 months )

like any model the color you paint your car is your choice but the facts are when butch leal received his thunderbolt it was vintage burgundy and he raced it with the gold mr 427 on the door later he changed the name to California Flash in gold but the car was still vintage burgundy.fred cady was incorrect in saying the car was black with white lettering.a lnternet image search will show several color photos of the mr 427 car and at least one color photo of the California flash car.

You can go to this site: http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1964-Ford-pg05.jpg and it has color chips. There may be some variation due to being on a screen, but if you put it on your smart phone or print it out and take it to the store, it should get you pretty close. I have used Duplicolor quite a bit. I found that a lot of the GM colors came close. I don't have the cans anymore, but there was a GM color that matched Vintage Burgundy quite closely and I also found a pretty close match for the 1962 Ford light green in GM colors.

Ok,

A couple more questions in regards to T bolts, whci ones were auto and which ones were 4 spds ?

Al Means Ford car - 4 spd ?

Conner Ford car - 4 spd ?

Butch Leal car , pretty sure was a 4 spd car ?

Archway Ford car ?

Bob Ford car ? I found several pics of this car, some gold wtih black roof , some all yellow . Same car - different time period ? or 2 completely different cars?

Tasca Ford car - 4 spd ?

I did some more research on the Leal car and Walt is correct, the car was not black. The Cady decals are wrong .Bob Ford sponsored several T-Bolts. The Len Richter 4 speed car was gold with a black top. In 65 it was painted yellow and driven by Kenny Vogt. It ran mostly in A/MP.They also had a gold & black automatic car. It did not have Thunderbolt on the rear quarter panel. A third car was T Bolt Too. Whole car was same color with a dark hood bubble. Most likely gold/black. They also sponsored a car for Emmett Rattlesnake Austin who ran it down south. It was white. He converted it to an altered wheelbase car and painted it black.

Edited by afxmustang

thank you karl,i too thought the butch leal car was black till someone corrected me and further research verified it.the California flash name change came after the indy nats win when ford sent butch fiberglass doors which put the car in a/fx but it did not matter as a independent he was going to match race the car because that's where the money was.now for bill,according to my t-bolt vin list the conner ford was delivered with a automatic.it was first raced by don bowles in s/sa but later the designation on the car said s/s which means he converted to a 4 speed he also ran a/fx which let him run 10" slicks.many automatic t-bolts switched to the borg warner 4speed and later in 1964 the ford toploader 4 speed.the bob ford car driven by paulk Harvey and bill Humphrey was delivered and raced in 1964 as a automatic, in fact it was the first automatic car built. it was later converted to a 4 speed by Harold turner ford. the rest of the cars on your list were all 4speed cars.hope this helps.

Many thanks to all.

I really appreciate it .

Now, I just need to get to work

Considering the cars were all very similar . Outside of exterior color - 4 spd versus auto. this should be pretty easy builds to do ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should be .

I know the slicks in the kits are technically wrong for the builds . And I knew the best rear slicks were the Johan slicks. And I doubt I have enough of them to do all these. And I know the AMT tires packages were to wide/tall for the years and S/S class designation to be replicated.

Are there any other good sources for an accurate rear tire besides going aftermkt or is that my best option ?