Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alternomad II - Updated 2 - 7 - 13

TooOld

I wanted to reduce the size of the front bumper so I cut it off of the body , but while I was refitting it a funny thing happened . I accidentally held it upside down to the body and it looked kinda good ! So i decided to give it a try .

These photos show where I'm at now .

I'm not sure if I like it or not .

What do you think ?

Edited by TooOld

• 2 weeks later...

Since most of the body work is finished I wanted to see what it would look like with wheels and tires . I'm still not satisfied with the front end but it looks better than it did . I'm about out of ideas so it will probably stay this way .

Any ideas are welcome !

Edited by TooOld

Just my thoughts. Where the side trim splits, the lower section seems to fight with the rest of the design. You might consider removing that portion. This should also lighten the look of the side rear. The grille should look better once you've done the headlights. The current Challenger headlights might help give character.

BTW, nice job of improving an awkward design.

Edited by GerN

Just my thoughts. Where the side trim splits, the lower section seems to fight with the rest of the design. You might consider removing that portion. This should also lighten the look of the side rear. The grille should look better once you've done the headlights. The current Challenger headlights might help give character.

BTW, nice job of improving an awkward design.

I like your idea Gerald , I'm going to think about it . Are the new Challenger headlights different ?

Wow,it looks awesome.It is unbelievable how the chop improves the styling of this car.Great looking build.Keep the progress coming.

Thanks Jeremy ! The chop is the one thing this body really needed , and it was easy to do !

What if you removed the lower body line where it meets with the 57 chrome spear and curve the lower body line to match the 57 chrome at the rear of the rear wheel well? Hope the explanation made sense. Now that I look at it again, this may only look good if you change the rear wheel well to one similar to a 57 Chevy.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

The new, retro style Challenger headlights are slightly flattened at the top, giving an agressive look. Wait, are you already using this type of headlight? If so, sorry, I couldn't tell from the angle of your photo.

The new, retro style Challenger headlights are slightly flattened at the top, giving an agressive look. Wait, are you already using this type of headlight? If so, sorry, I couldn't tell from the angle of your photo.

No problem Gerald , the top of the headlights are hidden by the hood .

Hey bob, some excellent work you did. The chop top made a world of difference. I'm not a fan on the car on the box art or the image of the real thing but I do think it has potential. I think your on the right track, the things that bother me some are for one, those nasty door handles, takes away from that beautiful molding. The next would be (not sure how to explain it) but its the the rounded bulge body line of the station wagon. I wouldn't say delete it but I would delete the part that runs into and through that once again beautiful molding. And for that front bumper, I know why it looked good flipped. It's because it made the car look like its not coming to such a point. If you look at it from a side view the way it originally is you can see that the bottom the bumper looks hiked up but when you flipped it the bottom of the bumper lined up with the bottom of the cars rocker (maybe get rid of the fog light set up). Hope that made sense. I would either flip it like you had it or cut it in half and extend it down to line up. These are just my opinions, other then that I think everything else looks great. Can't wait to see it all finished up, I'll be watching.

• 3 weeks later...

I had lost interest in this build and it was in danger of being boxed up and forgotten forever , so I decided to make it a curbside and finish it quick !

So I glued the hood shut and sanded everthing smooth for paint .

Here's the base coats .

And here's the color . It's Duplicolor Chili Pepper Red .

I should have it cleared later today , then after a couple of days I can do a little BMF and finish it up !

Edited by TooOld