Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey G & J, Hows About An Article About Model King Dave?

Hey Guys,

In recent times Dave Burkett (Model King) has gone above and beyond to work with AMT to get alot of models we have not seen in years back on the shelves. I think it would be neat to do an interview/writeup with Dave if he is willing so everyone out there can better understand what he is doing and how it is done from finding the old tools to producing a model kit. I think it would make a great article for MCM!!! But what do I know!!! LOL!!! Just a thought!!!! KT

Edited by KT EASTMAN

That is a great idea. I'll be honest, I know MK Dave Burkett as the guy who gets me models of stuff I haven't seen for a very long time if ever. After that I don't know him from anything else?

Who is he? Why is is passion so strong? What prompted him into doing this? And many more questions.

I'm re-living a childhood with models I never saw as a kid. I'd sure like to know more about the man too.

Chris

Ya know, I was wondering, does anyone live near MK DB? I mean if they did, It would be easy to compile a list of questions right here for said person to ask Dave. Said person could write down Dave's answers. Throw a rough draft together, fine tune it and send it in to Model Cars mag for all to read and enjoy, of course it would be gratis, as I hear the pay at MCM isn't really all that great :D , but getting yourself published is huge in and of itself in my opinion.

So anyone live over in Toms River NJ??? (yeah, I had to check the bottom of an MK box)

Chris

Chris, I'm going to have to ban you forever for that one!!! :angry:

Check around, my pay is on par or above what other mags are at, especially given the circ numbers.

Of course, I love to get articles gratuitously, every penny back in the bank helps in the long run.

You won't get rich off MCM, but you will get pride, many thanks, a boost in the ego, and of course, your name forever in print.

There are some who can make a living off of writing, but they do it for many and adhere to strict deadlines, and are very loyal, and dear friends :-).

Most of us do it for the love of the hobby, that's what got me into it in the first place.

Watch what happens over the next year, you will see many changes and improvements.

I've never asked for any money when I've submitted anything...I know it the past it was generally way to crappy to use...(even though I did get one of the articles in, my first published writing, Woo Hoo!) Now, however, I know exactly what I should be doing, and better yet...I know what my mistakes were and won't do them again. (Meaning, when I send you stuff again it may be good enough to print! LOL!!

I'd love to see an article about Dave! Way back in 2001 at my first NNL East, Dave was THE first person I ever bought a model from that wasn't Wal-Mart or the LHS...(The second person I ever met in modeling was Gregg...He got beaten by Almonte!)

I'd also like to see profiles of modelers...Start with well known guys like Bill Geary and Clay Kemp and eventually feature other guys, like builders who are just on the verge of modeling acclaim or even any Joe Gluetube off the street (cousin to Joe Six-Pack? :P ). Ask them questions like first model, favorite model, when they started, how old they were, what their first was, why they do it, favorite build, memorable moments, etc and call it something like "Modeler's Profiles" and let us know more about the guys we've read about or even talked to, be it online or at shows.

It would be a great way to find out whatever happened to the well known modelers from the past who have seemingly dropped off the face of the Earth...What are they up to now, are they still building, if not why, etc.

There are also PLENTY of talented modelers who don't have the internet for various reasons and it would allow the general modeling world to be introduced to these people...

I've actually had this idea for a while. What do you think? I could write up one on myself as kind of like a template....Lord knows, when I want to I can type enough to fill a book ;):P:lol: I know I'm not A) well-known enough :P talented enough or C)"important" enough to feature, at least anytime soon (who knows what the future holds?) but it could get the ball rolling...

I fully agree about the "profile" article ideas that are being tossed about!!!

please include Guys like Tim Boyd. I really enjoy when he pulls out older builds to go

along with some article he is writing!!!

Edited by camaroman

I seemed to have hijacked the thread without meaning to! Sorry about that, but as you all know, I have a tendency to ramble on a bit! :lol:

Mark, you Thread Hijacker!!!! LOL!!! I think it would be great to see some articles on our modeling peers famous like Ken Hamilton & Mark Gustavson or not like ME!!! :D What I would also love to see is the inside of some of the stuff we use to build models. I want to see the inside of the Testors factory so I know where my paint is made and how. The Exacto corp. would be neat to see how they make those razor sharp blades and who makes them. Just things like that would really interest me as well as seeing the Model corp. and how they work and whos behind it!!! Just some other random thoughts!!! KT