Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 K123

I think I'm close enough to finished to post pictures in this section. I have a build thread going over in the "on the work bench" section. If you want to check that out, here it is: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79409

Still have a couple details to finish like adding the air hoses for the trailer, but it is pretty much done now. I started with an AMT K123 kit, added 22" spoke wheels, torsion bar suspension, Detriot Diesel 8V92T engine, rear cab window, slamlocks on the doors, scratch built air intake and the exhaust from a snap kit W900 (both more to scale than the original kit pieces).

005_zps06637a77.jpg

007_zpsb9b05e0d.jpg

010_zpsddb0d9f9.jpg

Edited by KJ790

I just love that paint scheme. I would have made it standard on all K100 of the day! Very nice build, I like the subtle mods on this one, the wheels, single exhaust, door and grab handles, roof airfoil... AND a 8V92... Well done!

Edited by BigBad

Thanks guys! The trailer is a bit of a work in progress, but it is getting closer to being done. For that I started with two glue bombs, one a Great Dane reefer and the other a Fruehauf van trailer. I cut both trailers apart and used the front, rear, top/bottom rails from the Great Dane, and swapped in the ribbed sides from the Fruehauf to get the "stainless steel" ribbed sides. Then I painted the top and bottom ribs "aluminum" grey, and covered the "stainless steel" parts with bare metal foil to get the look right.

Both pieces look fantastic! Just as a reminder; don't forget to paint the Great Dane name plate on the upper front corners of the trailer. They use red or green. =)

Yup, that is on my "to-do" list. I need to make some custom decals for the Great Dane name plates for the top front corners and the rear door.