Model Cars Magazine Forum

working with die cast

Has any one done any body work or body mods on a diecast?

how do the body's react to heat and body fillers? can metal be used on them to add body mods? any help would be nice, I have the miatso Pontiac Solstice and would like to add some mods to it or change one into a Saturn Sky.

I am currently working on a die cast '41 Pontiac convertible, my first die cast model. It was easy to lower even further than the way it came due to the plastic chassis. Body changes included tailites molded in tube type, frenched headlites, new grille opening, side body chrome strips, sunken license plate ( in the trunk lid ) and fender skirts. The only major body modification was in the grille area. I ground out the new opening with my Dremel, super glued a piece of styrene from the back and shaped the opening with Squadron White putty. Adherence has proven to be no problem. Grinding was also the method of working with the rear license plate. The tubular tailites were done by drilling holes in the rear fenders, super gluing in some styrene tubing and then fitting the red tailites into the tubing. The windshield was already chopped but it looks like a die cast could be chopped simply by cutting the roof from the body, making the appropriate cuts for the lowering aspect of the job and re-attaching the roof to the body by using styrene strips glued to the back side where you have re=attached the roof to the body. Then finish the job with the putty of your choice.

Bob :shock:

Thanks for the imput Bob,

sounds like a sweet project ya have going. I did'nt think there would be a big problem as far as fillers working on the body. I had not thought of using styrene for structual parts. I wanted to try to fabricate something like a wide body kit for this project.

have you used heat on any of your projects?