Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale original Model T Scratch Build

LR3

In case anyone wants to build an original model T, I have researched a few drawings and scaled them so that they should print out to scale on letter or legal size paper depending on image. I used photoshop to size the images to scale. If they do not transfer to scale you might try that technique. One problem - turns out some images have a distortion. I had to replace the engine top view as when I printed it I found the cylinder head was not in the same ratio as the side views so I had to reduce the overall size somewhat to make the cylinder head come out 2 7/16" wide.

ModelTFrame-vi.jpg

ModelTSideFarme-vi.jpg

ModelTFramescaled-vi.jpg

Picture1-vi.jpg

Picture5-vi.jpg

DrawingframeEngine-vi.jpg

Tenginetop-vi.jpg

Edited by LR3

Had to modify a drawing, the one showing the cylinder head open. I had to resize it so the overall engine/ transmission length was 5 1/4". The drawing dimensioning the head to be 2 7/16 could be used to layout the head. The drawing dimensioning the over all engine as 5 1/4" can be used to establish the pan joining plate.

Tenginetoplg-vi.jpg

Edited by LR3

Well seeing as I have more time on my hands than money I decided to see what can be done with left over styrene and scraps from old models when building a 1/8 "Model T". The 1910 technology works pretty well for me seeing as I only have a dremel and hand tools for building on our kitchen drain

board (and yeah and I sometimes still call that white thing in the kitchen an icebox.) I was 10 years old before we traded in our icebox for our first fridge. My shop is the first set of squares on the left. The wife lets me over run like the picture between meals.

Any way the pictures tell the story and the simplicity might motivate some others to try scratch building. The "T" is ideal for scratch efforts. Price is key here so bolts will be represented by styrene octagonal rod rather than using real hardware. I printed out to scale reference data to use as plans. I have a devil of a time making square joints so I either use balsawood or foam board material as inside support. I just hope I can get past the hog's head (transmission cover), the wheels and the body curve before giving up.

I noticed that about this far along one could switch over and build this engine as a Model A. Just add a distributor to the head and work up a different pan.

Topheadbalsafiller-vi.jpg

Topheadreadyforfinish-vi.jpg

Topheadwaterjacket-vi.jpg

Upperblock-vi.jpg

IMG_3109-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How's this project going? Any updates?

Been laid up with the flue and am having real problems with trying to handle the transmission and pan curves with my limited tools. I will have pictures next week?? Thanks for your interest.

I feel constrained in scratch building capability as I see what people do with lathes and mills. Somehow files, sandpaper, pliers, etc. limit me to less perfect detail. Could also be 80 year old hands and eyes.

are you kidding me?!!!! i use a mill and a lathe because i CAN'T do what you do by hand. what you have, is true talent, my friend. so don't use that for an excuse. i don't usually say much and i try to keep my nose in my business. so, please believe me when i say, you're doing an excellent.....no, fantabulous job. keep it up. oh, and get better....will ya?

Yep, gotta agree with Dave.

The way I look at it, it's a hobby, we should get enjoyment out of it....

A couple years ago I would never have TRIED half the stuff I try now.

For me, I do what I can for ME.....and I try to do as best as I can,

Keep up the good work, Syd!!!!

Syd, hope you feel better soon.

Have you tried working with Super Sculpey clay? I've found that this stuff is great when it comes to one off parts that have a lot of compound curves. No special tools required!

Just shape it & bake it. It's a firm clay so it holds detail well, as far as baking goes, I just toss the parts in the toaster oven at 275 for 15, 20 minutes or so.

You might have to hollow out your parts a bit but once hardened it can be drilled, sanded and painted. You can use water based acrylics right on the clay, other paints should be primed or sealed first.

Must be just what the Doc ordered when it comes to your trans?

The items pictured below are 1/8th for display use with a model...the rat pieces have been baked....the head hasn't. The best part is that if you screw something up, it's a simple matter to reshape it before baking.

SYD019.jpg

SYD016.jpg

SYD018.jpg

SYD017.jpg

SYD015.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Have you tried working with Super Sculpey clay? I've found that this stuff is great when it comes to one off parts that have a lot of compound curves. No special tools required!

Just shape it & bake it. It's a firm clay so it holds detail well, as far as baking goes, I just toss the parts in the toaster oven at 275 for 15, 20 minutes or so.

Thanks for the VERY kind words. Sorry for my bleet! Was temporarily feeling sorry for myself.

Don - I forgot about Sculpey. Last time I tried it was on a part apparently too small to be effective as I gave up on it but you are right, it would have been excellent for the tranny parts. I wound up using portions of PVC pipe and styrene. Made so many false starts I quit making working pictures. Will add pics of the parts as they go to paint.

Been looking back through the forum at 1/12 scale models for economy and detail possibilities and am thinking a Tamiya Porsche 935 might be a great project for detailing. Can't afford the $500 plus trans kit but it would be fun to try to imitate it and build that model. The basic kit sure is nice and not too expensive.

Will assemble the engine/transmission with some detailing then this project goes to sleep for awhile. The Tamiya Porsche 935 shipped first of the week. If the kit looks like I think it will, I will be really focused on detailing it. I haver never been disappointed with the molded in details of a Tamiya kit and they motivate me to do my best. Scratch building is a challenge but detailing a good kit is a joy.

IMG_3111-vi.jpg

Nuts - The Tamiya Porsche 935 is still apparently in the mail in Indiana. Guess I will have to fiddle more with this scratch build. I have much more fun detailing a sharp Tamiya model than scratch building. In fact now that I think about it I don't know why I spent all that money early on buying Pocher kits. Must have been the 1/8 scale. It is a bit of a problem handling the 3mm screws the 1/12 scale models sometimes require. Anyway "Model T" so far.

IMG_3118-vi.jpg

IMG_3119-vi.jpg