Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question on possible future new build

I was wondering what you guys thought on using the Pocher Ferrari 1/8 scale Testarosa engine for a power plant in a '32 1/8 scale Ford?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290457972419&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_667wt_1139

I have it on eBay, but was thinking, heh, stupid, that may be a good motor for a hot rod"

Thoughts?

Greg i think it would make a great hot rod engine definitely different. A guy here in kiwi land is building a car with a Porsche V8 with a Littlefield supercharger on it and if my memory serves me correctly the was a 32 roadster with some sort of Ferrari engine in it.

I always thought Pocher released this engine kit exclusively for people who want to install it in a Monogram Deuce?

Roy Brizio once built a 1/1 32 Highboy with a Lampredi V-12 and Borrani wheels, but I think the car is no longer with us.

Magoo Street Rods built a deuce useing the Ferrari 365 GT 2.2 engine. I think this is the same engine that Brizio used in his 1:1 build. I'm not aware of this engine being available in 8th scale, but it is available in 12th scale from Autograph.

There is a "Real Steal" 8th scale tin deuce out there and its got the Autograph GT engine in it. I've seen photos of it and its quite cool. Chris Garcia did the wheels for it. If he's watching this thread, I'm sure he'll post some pictures of the model.

Whatever the case Gregg, you've stirred the pot enough that you need to get those creative juices flowing. So, I'll throw out a challenge......I've got an extra set of deuce rails and a spare three window body..............wanna play?

Guys, keep in mind that there have been some very successfull all wheel drive street rod builds so Don may be onto something. By the way Gregg, another option is to do a "mid engine" build with a trans axel.

This is getting interesting!

It would be awesome if you FINISHED a model!! :lol:

Soul mate. Nuff said, there. :blink:

I think it would be a bitchin' (can I say that?) rod and I'd love to build it that way myself. But since, (1) I can't afford a Pocher Ferrari engine to play with and (2) I'd never finish it even if I could afford it, so I won't start it.

Thus, you should, Gregg!! :lol: That's my vote.

Guys, keep in mind that there have been some very successfull all wheel drive street rod builds so Don may be onto something. By the way Gregg, another option is to do a "mid engine" build with a trans axel.

This is getting interesting!

Perhaps think Vette layout for a minute...engine in front, trans-axle in rear connected with a torque tube....lots of possibilities.

I just looked at the Pocher kit again, it looks like it even includes the transaxle, and rear suspension parts!!!

I may remove it from eBay

I think a Three-Window would be bestest, no?

Or one of the bodies from our late-friend, Mr. George Z's Five-Window.

I'd say go for it. I'd be thinkin' engine in the front with the transaxle at the rear including the Ferrari rear suspension. Hey! why not use the front suspension, too? Incorporate the interior to whatever degree the body width allows. I think it would be difficult to make the Ferrari rims look good, especially the width of the front tires seems wrong for '32, (but sans fenders they might work). Probably need to be totally slammed stance, maybe operational bags. It would most certainly need to be painted Ferrari red. WAIT!!............ :( Is that a wolf outside? WOLF! WOLF! (just thinkin' of a story I heard)! :lol:

Gregg, now that you've had some touchy feel time with your 1/12th Miss "E", here's a thought for what it's worth.

Pick up a 1/12 Tamiya kit for the trans-axle & heater (very detailed right from the box) ....shoe horn the V-12 under the hood and stuff the trans-axle and suspension under the rear.

Now that in my mind would make a very unique killer ride.

Hey Gregg, Sounds like a good idea if it does not end up in your project pile. How about using the rear of a Testarosa grafted on to the chopped 32 body and the using the front fenders of the Testarosa graftedon the front with the 32 grille. Sorta like the 50 Ford Lexus project mixed with the Testarosa VW bus project. Anyway good luck and keep us updated. :)

I just looked at the Pocher kit again, it looks like it even includes the transaxle, and rear suspension parts!!!

I may remove it from eBay

I think a Three-Window would be bestest, no?

Or one of the bodies from our late-friend, Mr. George Z's Five-Window.

Gregg,

I'm actually in the process of building the Pocher Testarossa engine kit over on the SMC forum, well actually in the process of not building it right now because I'm so busy with work, but anyway, be forewarned that the engine will require a lot of work just by itself to get it to a decent level of detail. It's pretty basic in box-stock form. Not trying to dissuade you, just trying to help you out.

-Steve