Model Cars Magazine Forum

2010 - Shelby GT500 - Eleanor-ish

The Styrene Chemist

Hello fellow modelbuilders,
A little while ago I've had the crazy idea to build the 3 modern day muscle cars in 3 weekends. Guess what, That's just not possible. At least not for me. But the idea kept my bugging. So today I started on the Shelby GT500.
In this movie you can what's Inside the boxes of the Shelby / Challenger and the Camaro
Inside the box : 3 modern day muscle cars
A little picture before I went to the paintbooth
IMG_1049.JPG
And a few hours later, another picture.
IMG_1056.JPG
body painted with tamiya silver
IMG_1058.JPG
rims painted with Tamiya gunmetal
IMG_1060.JPG
random pics
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
A few facts :
interieur painted with vallejo model air dark sea grey
engine painted in tamiya flat aluminium, the rest of the engine-parts : tamiya X1
suspension and chassis in revell aqua color flat black
total hours of airbrushing : 5,5

Looks great, just for a future note. Most of the newer mustangs have a coating on the subframe, and floor. To get the color I mixed yellow gold and brass and it comes out close.

After crawling under one of the newer Mustangs on a local lot (they must've thought I was a bit off as we were buying a new Optima) I discovered there is no metallic in the "sealer" that Ford has on the Mustang floor pan, it is actually almost a perfect match to the K-2 urethane primer that some of use under a lacquer paint job, it is a yellowish orange sort of color, almost a real light Ochre (but not quite).

Also just FYI, those fuel tanks on the sides of the driveline are either a gray plastic, or a semi gloss black plastic depending on production dates.

Edited by horsepower

• 2 weeks later...