Model Cars Magazine Forum

'30 Ford 5-window coupe - Chopped and Channeled

Bernard Kron

...It's supposed to be hot and sunny tomorrow so things should go quickly...

Would you believe that it's actually been too hot for me to paint in sunny CA?

To get the clear on my '40 Ford, I had to get up early Sunday morning to get it prepped and sprayed before 10:00. Anything later than that and the paint would have dried before it got out of the can and onto the model!!

Keep us posted on the color samples!!

Later,

I’ve made quite a lot of headway on this thing. I got the basic engine built, the bodywork cleaned up and painted and some of the interior panels structures started.

The Revell Tommy Ivo Showboat shortblock really is great raw material. The transmission, accessory drive and oil pan are from the Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland conversion kit mentioned above. As you can see, they are beautifully detailed and complement the Ivo shortblock perfectly. The manifold, belt drive and carbs are from the AMT ’40 Ford Sedan Delivery. The carbs and belt drive are just mocked up for now. I’ll wire and detail the motor once I get the headers in.

(Click on picture for larger image)

th_DSCF7035-web.jpg th_DSCF6993-web.jpg th_DSCF6994-web.jpg

th_DSCF7026-web.jpg th_DSCF7024-web.jpg th_DSCF7021-web.jpg th_DSCF7023-web.jpg

The AMT Phantom Vicky chassis is really a pretty piece. In the future I’ll have to work on some more traditional rear end and k-member bits for it. I can only hope I keep running into cheap and ugly pre-painted versions!

(Click on picture for larger image)

th_DSCF7017-web.jpg

And finally here are a couple of mockups in Pearl Green. The Pearl Green Tamiya paint looks good with the purple rails. The Tamiya paint covers so well that the color of primer has no impact on the how it looks. Right now though, the paint looks a little raw and needs some polishing. I’m thinking of going with a suede finish. I tried some matte clear over the pearl on a test panel and it’s just a little too dead flat., I’ll try to buff it out slightly to give it an even sheen. As you can see, I had to abandon my idea of keeping the stock firewall. With the channel the Nailhead just crowds in to the cowl area too much. Bummer…

DSCF7036-web.jpg

DSCF7041-web.jpg

This thing is really coming together now. For all the enthusiasm for the upcoming Revell ’32 5-Window I really think nothing beats the greenhouse of the 5-window Model A when it comes to a chopped hot rod coupe. It just has so much more character. Next steps include doing the interior completing the steering and front suspension and then detailing the motor and installing an exhaust system, Can’t wait for that package from down under!

Thanx for lookin’

B.

Edited by gbk1

Bernard,

The nailhead looks awesome!! The gold color really makes it pop!! I'm glad to see that you chose not to cover it up with a hood.

You're right about the AMT Phantom Vicky kit having some great parts!! That frame looks really nice!! I may have to get one of them for some sort of future build...

I also think that you're right in going for a suede finish on this build. That will make the engine the real standout piece in the build.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Thanks for sharing,

This build continues to go quite quickly. I keep waiting for something to go terribly wrong. I am having some trouble getting the paint on the grill shell to behave…. Hmmmm….

I completed the .interior panels and installed them. The dash is an AMT ’37 Chevy piece that was smoothed out to accept a Replicas & Miniatures p/e dash panel. The door handles and cranks are from Drag City Casting. The steering wheel is from an AMT ’49 Ford. The headliner and side panels were scratch built from Evergreen styrene panels and strips. The seat is from the ’30 A kit. The floor panel is from the AMT Phantom Vicky.

DSCF7048-web.jpg

DSCF7049-web.jpg

I also shot some Testors DullCote on the Tamiya Pearl Green paint and this time I liked the final effect. It makes the underlying green really pop. And Raul, I think you’re right, the suede finish does serve to contrast with the polished bits on the motor.

DSCF7050-web.jpg

DSCF7053-web.jpg

DSCF7055-web.jpg

Next up will be steering gear and completing the front suspension, radiator and headlights, tailights, and further detailing of the engine while I wait for the headers to get here…

Thanx for lookin’!

B.

Hey B! This A-bone of yours is looking really sweet! I'll second the dullcoat, gave the car just the look it needs. Nice job pulling the interior pieces together too. The Chevy dash is a nice departure from the typical '32 or '40 swap. That Nailhead looks cool in there and will look even cooler when those headers get put on it. Can't wait to see more!

Thanx for all the nice comments. :lol:

Got the headers in from Australia today. Everything is torn down and I've begun final assembly. The headers looked so cool I figured I'd post some pics as I slug my way through the "this isn't a kit so nothing actually fits" stage. I should have this guy wrapped up by tomorrow night I figure.

DSCF7079-web.jpg

DSCF7084-web.jpg

DSCF7086-web.jpg

Thanx for lookin'.

B.

Bernard,

It looks like those headers were made to order!! They fit onto the engine and around the cowl panel perfectly!!

Maybe you'll have to head south again for the next big GoodGuys show to display some of your lastest stuff!!

Later,

Yeah, those headers do fit perfectly. The header flanges are actually from the Tomnmy Ivo kit and the pipes lined up absolutely on the money to the mounting holes for the Ivo exhaust stacjs. I also ordered the Parts Box nailhead kit and I must say it is The Bomb!!!! Ultra crisp detail. many separate accesories like fuel pump, etc. I haven't sat down to figure out what Jason Richter (the master/caster dude at The Parts Box) used to make his master, but at first glance it looks like a sort of "greatest hits" of the best of various Nailheads. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll build it out just to enjoy its fine detail and then worry about putting it in something later on... If I do I'll post a review. At first glance - Highly Recommended.

I don't know about a GoodGuys show trip. An annual NNL West pilgrimage might be all my wallet could stand. Those vendors have my charge card on file, I'm sure! :)