Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 El Camino - Foiled ! 5/8/13

Looking good! I am doing one of these right now myself - or attempting to do it. *sighs* Mine is a real mess but it is slowly coming along. I have parts on order from The Modelhaus and have already received some materials for the build, but I am having a heck of a time getting the paint - or what ever it is that someone put on the little car - off. It's coming along though.

i wanted to ask you if you are using a R/M '60 Impala hood on yours and if so, how was the fit once you cut your original hood out? My hood and cowl cover are cracked and I had figured on using an Impala hod to replace my broken one.

Just out of curiosity what did you order from Modelhaus ? I didn't know they had any parts for this .

I guess I should explain that this isn't a resin kit , I mated the top from the AMT '59 El Camino to a Revell '60 Impala . It actually worked pretty good . I spent a lot of time filling and sanding to make the tailgate and taillight panel correct .

Here's a few photos .

7 (2)

8 (2)

9 (2)

Edited by TooOld

Sorry to take so long to respond but my life gets pretty complicated some days and the last few are no exception. My El Camino is an old styrene annual that has seen too many paint hobs and just fell into the wrong hands real early in it's life. I am still trying to get the paint off of it but the process is nearly completed. It needs a ton of work to be anything even close to decent but then to me, that's the fun of this hobby. I enjoy bringing something back to life - not just plastic models but real life 1:1 things including vehicles. I love old things and while I have other projects sitting waiting and half finished, this El Camino was too much to resist.

The Modelhause has about everything that you could want in pieces for these cars, right down to the tail lights. Ii ordered grille, bumpers, front splash pan, and a dash board as mine was incomplete and missing these parts plus the glass, axles, wheels and tires. The photo etch detail set arrived last week and is sitting in a drawer awaiting being used.

It's likely that I'll use a '59 El Camino chassis rather than the original but that depends on how it looks once the paint is all off of it. If it looks pretty tacky, I'll just put it back together in it's original configuration and detail it as best I can. I have another original built up that I have had for a few years now and it is in MUCH better condition than this one, so maybe I'll really put my efforts into that one. If I do the blending of the three kits ( the original, an AMT '59 El Camino and a R?M '60 Impala, then I will do a couple of other things to make the model more unique yet still as close to a factory stock vehicle as I can make it.

Your work is an inspiration and while the '59 Chevy is by far my preference over any other car, I like this kit simply because it still retains somewhat of a resemblance to the '59, plus you just do not see them often - especially in stock form. I am a bit unsure of what colour I will paint it but I am leaning towards turquoise with a white roof to burgundy or white. I have a long ways to go yet before I am ready for paint and I have a fair bit of time to make my choice. I hope that you keep updating with progress pictures as I for one, would really enjoy seeing them. Your workmanship appears to be pretty impressive and this build shows a lot of promise. Hang in there and keep on with the project. By the way - what colour do you have in mind for yours?

No problem Gary , I'm just getting back here too !

To answer your question about the hood , I'll use what parts I have and let you decide . The Revell Impala body is about 1/16" wider than the AMT bodies , but the hood is about 1/16" narrower ! It actually fits the AMT body pretty good , a little sanding along the cowl and add a strip to both sides and it would fit perfect ! It should work for you just fine .

I'm sending you a PM . Good luck on you project !

I've made a little progress the last couple of days .

I 've got the interior pieces fitted and fabricated a hood hinge . I also painted the tires , they are really nice ! Thank you Joseph at Fireball Modelworks .

I need to clean up the center caps on the wheels , got a little bit too much paint on them !

Edited by TooOld

Thanks Dave , so do I !

I've about finished the mods on the chassis and made up a new fuel tank using the one I cut from the AMT kit . Everything seems to fit okay , I'll add some tank straps after paint .

I also narrowed the track simply by opening up the backing plates and sliding them in on the axle ( I'll cut the ends off later ) . This narrowed it by 3/16" total !

Edited by TooOld

Rubber lined hose clamps ! You're killing the details...hahahaha

Great update pics Bob..thanks

On a side note..I saw two 60 El Caminos at a show and the vendor

wanted 30 bucks for each..like Wow..he wouldn't budge on the price.

Thanks James . They look good as long as you don't get too close ! :D

James, you didn't add the fact that there was a good five coats of Green enamel brushed onto one of those so called Meusuiem pieces that guy had too !

People want crazy prices for those SMP El Caminos . I kept looking for a long time , but they were either real glue and paint bombs or they were priced twice what a resin body goes for ! I have a Bandit Resins '60 and it is really a nice piece with an open hood and F and R bumpers , it just wasn't what I wanted to build .

Edited by TooOld

This will be a masterpiece, to say the least! I do admire you for building the car this way as opposed to just buying a resin or original kit. The quality of this build will be hard to beat simply because of the time, effort and love put into it. hard work always shows in the finished product, just as does appreciation of the subject and the love and enjoyment of what you have done. I don;t want to know but I am envisioning this in several different colors - we'll see how similar our tastes are when you are done.

The addition of Impala side trim on 1:1 builds seems popular and I have to admit that it does look good. In styrene or steel, I'd stay with the original Bel Air side trim simply because I just like stock. But this will look good and add to the beauty of your finished product. I'm watching pretty much daily for more updates on your thread.thumbape.gif

I decided it was time to start working on the engine so I found a nice small block in the Revell '64 Pickup kit . It looks just like the 283 I had in my El Camino , with stamped valve covers , a 4 bbl intake and a 4 speed trans .

I'm making my own headers out of .062 solder , which scales to 1 5/8 diameter . If you ever buy headers made for a '60 Chevy , they are made to really hug the engine and then they dump to the outside of the X - frame where they hook up to the stock exhaust . It took two trys but I finally have a set that I think will be okay once they are cleaned up and painted . I have flanges made but they aren't installed right now .

The orange paint was done quick just to take some pictures .

Edited by TooOld