Model Cars Magazine Forum

" CHEETAH " 1/24 Carrera Slot Car

TooOld

If you like Cheetahs you've probably seen these for sale and wondered if they are worth the price being asked for them .

Well so did I until I was able to see one close up last week , and considering the prices of original Cox Cheetahs I would say these are definitely worth it ! I'm going to start saving my pennies !

Here are some photos I took so you can decide for yourself .

1_zps48b9c29c.jpg

2_zps221fb8f6.jpg

3_zps34b9d15f.jpg4_zpsabfef8f1.jpg

Edited by TooOld

What scale & how much?? That does look pretty cool !!!

They are 1/24th Scale and I've seen them priced from $69 to $90 plus shipping on Ebay . There are two different styles , this yellow car is one style and the other has all of the vents in the hood and Blue-line tires .

I just came across this one for $59 + $7 shipping . . . I just spent my pennies !

13_zps957240fe.jpg

Nice score Bob, are you leaving it a slot car or are you going to build a model out of it?

I'm going to display it for now , it's case is as nice as the car !

I have a Cox Cheetah that I'm going to build as a fully detailed model .

FYI - There is a red one on the bay right now for a good price , but it looks to be missing the spare .

• 6 months later...

Do they by any chance just sell a body kit ?

The majority of the cost of producing a slot car is in the body, so few people would buy just the body for the price that companies would need to charge to make a profit.

They aren't that expensive- why not buy the whole car and sell the parts you don't use on eBay?

Hey cobraman,

I've seen bids on eBay start at $5-$20 for just the body.

However if I was of the inclination in liking the Cheetah which to me looks a bit odd, I'd do the HRM Cheetah being a full detail kit. Looks to run ~$175 but by all accounts, well worth it. They have both the louvered hood and non louvered hood version.

• 2 weeks later...

Newt's Boneyard. has resin 1/25 body. $15.00

As Glenn said it's very rough, by the time you sand the body smooth you will have lost most of the details on it. The body was cast from a Strombecker body which is way too wide.

When I contacted the guy at Newt's to mention to him that he might be worried about the quality of the body he defended it with some silly statements of the quality of other resin bodies. Even though I told him I would make this body useable, he sent my money back.