Model Cars Magazine Forum

I thought I would add another build to the madness around here. I started this one last night with the intention of making a curbside out of it. However I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm doing the motor. I have a few small mods going on here, opened the rear quarters and plan on doing a frenched headlight thing. Also lowered it. Here's where I'm going with it. Comments or concerns are welcome.

DSC06725-vi.jpg

Sitting stock with my wheels of choice.

DSC06726-vi.jpg

DSC06727-vi.jpgDSC06729-vi.jpg

This last pic shows the cap of the John Deere Green I'll be using. Also have the chrome being striped from the wheels now and will paint them body color.

Edited by JustBill

I'll keep that in mind Chris. Maybe a more modern engine type of thing, I'm still undecided.

I've been sanding my rear off to smooth this thing out. I was gona keep the side moldings that start on the hood and run down the side, but when you see the pic, the left side molding on the hood is washed out from a bad mold. Not a real crisp detail to it so I decided to scrap them. I'm thinking of replacing it with some half round and possibly a little different design but we'll see. Also sanded off the molded in door hinges as they would have gotten lost after paint. The top side of this thing needed a lot of smoothing. When you look at the pics check out the top half at the door. Big difference in the level of plastic. I'm just hoping after all that filing I won't get some crazy reflection thing in the paint. I've smoothed the interior tub all together cause I'm gona make my own interior using balsa wood. I've also started cutting out for the headlights. That's enough talking, I'll let the pics do the rest. If any questions or concerns I'm open!

DSC06733-vi.jpgDSC06736-vi.jpgDSC06737-vi.jpgDSC06740-vi.jpgDSC06741-vi.jpgDSC06742-vi.jpgDSC06744-vi.jpg

looks great man! what about a supercharged 5.4 from a new newer gen gt500kr?

Chris, I love your enthusiasm dude! That doesn't sound too bad man I actually may give that some research and investigation. Good call!

I've been sanding my rear end off over here. Not to much to look at right now, just shaping and smoothing. I'll get some more pics up when I have some progress going. The hood is really fighting me so I need to slow down and really message the thing carefully so as to not go too far with removing too much plastic. The rooster crows at midnight.

• 2 weeks later...

Making a little progress here. I got the wheels about done. I got the headlights roughed in. Its starting to show its personality. I was gona use balsa wood for the interior but I had a kind, generous, gentlemen from the forum here offer some veneer in its place. I've never used veneer before but it looks freaking sweet and I can't wait to get started on the interior. Here's a few mock ups.

DSC02389-vi.jpgDSC02391-vi.jpgDSC02393-vi.jpgDSC02392-vi.jpg

Thanks guys! I've been able to put in some good bench time today. I'm working on smoothing the headlights and started on the interior. I also got the dash ready for paint. After painting the dash I'm gona use Detail Master photo etch gauges. I "framed" out the interior panels and am going to make wood inserts out of the veneer then use Replicas & Miniatures parts for details. The trim I used for "framing" is .030 quarter round stock. Hopefully I can finish smoothing out the rest of the body tonight and weather permitting, get this thing in primer tomorrow.

DSC02401-vi.jpgDSC02402-vi.jpgDSC02403-vi.jpgDSC02407-vi.jpg

Also too guys, going back to our engine conversation, I have the Revell 427 engine pack, or I was thinking of taking a Nascar engine I have and updating it to fuel injection. Any thoughts?!?!?? So yea, this means basically I was beaten up and pressured into putting a engine in this thing! Haha! I only bring up the engines mentioned because I have those already. Anything else I would have to buy a kit just to steal its engine.

DSC02411-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love the wheels, hope you don't change them out. Can't wait to see what you do next. I think the 427 is a good choice too.

Ron and Stephen, I'm not getting rid of the wheels. They are here to stay!

Thanks all! The 427 it is!

I got some more progress going over the last couple days. I got the veneer panels cut and in place. (Thanks again!) Going to smooth them out now and poly them. I also got a shot of primer on. Need to touch some spots up but other then that, its ready for paint. I got the engine pieces striping now. More soon....

DSC02518-vi.jpgDSC02520-vi.jpgDSC02522-vi.jpgDSC02526-vi.jpgDSC02528-vi.jpgDSC02530-vi.jpgDSC02531-vi.jpgDSC02532-vi.jpg

I'm not trying to be a smartalec here... The topic is 40 Ford Woody... I see a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with interior wood panels... Is there going to be wood on the exterior of the body...???

I agree with you. No the exterior will not have any wood on it. I was just going off of what they called it on the box. I don't agree they should be calling it a woodie either but I was just going with it. However I was trying to keep at least some of the Woodie-ness about the build with the interior.

DSC6725-vi.jpg

Thank you for your support and interest Ron, The building will continue for sure brother! I think it will pull together just fine and I'll be proud to show it off for those wanting to see. I did get the trim on the interior panels BMF'ed and put down some flocking. I also got the poly done on the wood. I was really looking forward to using the bucket seats in this kit till I relized how poorly designed they were. It was a let down and I was at a loss. I did manage to come up with a nice set of buckets though out of my parts box. I believe they came out of a Honda civic kit. They are beeing striped now. No pics as of yet but I will update when I get a little further.