Model Cars Magazine Forum

ADDICTIONS

wheaton79chris

Yes, but you're also new here, and there's an overriding urge to "catch up". Then there's the thing where one thread leads into another, then someone mentions something that leads to a search and...oh my god! Next thing you know it's four in the morning, there are only about a dozen guys on, all bleary eyed with a cup of coffee in one hand and the mouse in the other clicking blindly away...is there a support group for this sort of thing? :blink:

Thanks guys. Just that some of the stuff absolutely amazes me. The scratch building and details are more than I have ever even considered trying. I must say (and no offense to anyone else) my favorite builds are Dr. Crankys

If your favorite builds are Dr. Crankys, then your addiction is something to be concerned about; you really have a serious problem.

The only cure is to build something like Cranky would build...............

No need to worry about an addiction unless you have piles of WIPs , a couple of hundred kits still sealed, more paint and detail items than you know what to do with and you still decide to visit here instead of your workbench!

Me, I figure you have to fill your time with something and this has been the one hobby that is the cheapest and easiest to sell the wife on!

If you want to learn weathering, then Cranky's the guy! Although that isn't a fair statement. :P There are alot of stellar modelers here at weathering, he's just the one I think of first. Most of the guys here are really cool and are willing to share thier knowledge. If you see something you're curious about you could pm them, but if it's a thread here, just ask on the open board and we can all benefit.

I guess what i'm saying is, don't hesitate to ask any questions. There are always a dozen or more guys willing to give you thier thoughts. What you'll come away with is several different techniques to try and you can settle on what works best for you. It's the diversity of the board that I love. :)

Jacen is right, we all learn from a variety of sources. Nobody has the weathering market cornered, so to speak. I learned from some of the best people out there the likes of Bill Borgen, Ken Hamilton, Hollywood Jim, Pat Covert, Mig Jimenez, Mr. Scratchmod, Adam Wildner, Chuck Doan, Marc Reusser . . . the list would extend for a couple of pages.

In order to come up with good ideas, you have to study other peoples' work, soak it in. And yes, there's also a level of copying and mimicking . . . Shakespeare said it best: NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.

But you want to keep an open mind, learn, and have fun. It's the journey, not the final product. And you have to remember that INSPIRATION IS A TWO WAY STREET!

No need to worry about an addiction unless you have piles of WIPs , a couple of hundred kits still sealed, more paint and detail items than you know what to do with and you still decide to visit here instead of your workbench!

Ummm....guys....I think I might have a problem......?!?

Mike about six WIPs and about ten sealed and paints brushes and several sets of sandpaper and blades. And my wife still lets me buy more

If that is all you have, then no need to worry about an addiction. That sounds like a typical weekend for many of us! :D

Seriously though, some of us tend to buy several lifetimes worth of models and me personally, I have started to "thin the herd" as I am realizing that my building pace is about 1/10th of my buying pace!

I think there's a difference between having a hobby & becoming a hoarder... I think the guys who've got more than several lifetimes worth of kits are actually hoarders & really will never be able to build them all, particularly if they have several ( 10-15 ) of the same kit. If you have more than, let's say a couple dozen kits, then you've become a hoarder...

As far as visiting this site & others, spending more time on them, then actually building, you need to set a time limit. Say 2 hours tops. Look at the stuff that give's you ideas etc & aids your skill, then get to the bench.... No point in hoarding all those kits if you're not spending time building at least 1 of them ;-) Lol

Cheers Cliff

I think there's a difference between having a hobby & becoming a hoarder... I think the guys who've got more than several lifetimes worth of kits are actually hoarders & really will never be able to build them all, particularly if they have several ( 10-15 ) of the same kit. If you have more than, let's say a couple dozen kits, then you've become a hoarder...

As far as visiting this site & others, spending more time on them, then actually building, you need to set a time limit. Say 2 hours tops. Look at the stuff that give's you ideas etc & aids your skill, then get to the bench.... No point in hoarding all those kits if you're not spending time building at least 1 of them ;-) Lol

Cheers Cliff

OMG.. thats it,,I,m a model hoarder, I need to see the Doc.. ( Do what you Love, and Love what you do.)

In order to come up with good ideas, you have to study other peoples' work, soak it in. And yes, there's also a level of copying and mimicking . . . Shakespeare said it best: NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.

i wonder if he got that soaking in the Bible, copying and mimicking the words of the Preacher in Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been will be again,

what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

;)

other than that i do have to side with the good docter, imitation is the highest form of flattery

we all have a common interest here and there are times when i see a fellow modeler build something that makes me think "ah-ha! thats what i need!"

When I started building models again and found this forum, the first thing I did was go through every page of Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials and bookmarked everything I wanted to try. Then I went through every page of Under Glass and did the same thing. I'm big on soaking up as much info as I can before I start something, and this place is a great source of info (and a great time sink).

Good luck on your quest for knowledge, but make sure you put it to use on a new build, eventually! :lol:

Jacen is right, we all learn from a variety of sources. Nobody has the weathering market cornered, so to speak. I learned from some of the best people out there the likes of Bill Borgen, Ken Hamilton, Hollywood Jim, Pat Covert, Mig Jimenez, Mr. Scratchmod, Adam Wildner, Chuck Doan, Marc Reusser . . . the list would extend for a couple of pages.

Back when I was a kid, my models were the typical kid built ones.. Testors paints over bare plastic, silver brush painted trim, too low a grit sanding and no parts prep. Then I got interested again in my 20s and got the same bad results. Why? Because I was going it myself and hadn't figured out much in the way of technique.

Then in my 30s I got interested again and found my club. Instantly guys showed me the errors of my ways and taught me proper techniques. It wasn't rocket science, but I just hadn't thought of it on my own. The next model I did was light years better than my previous attempts!

My own weathering inspiration came from Joe Cavorley, who I was lucky enough to have him take me under his wing and teach me weathering, scratch building and tons of other ideas. And then over time, I've bettered some techniques, and just made others more comfortable to do for myself.

As such, just as those helped me, I always reach out and help anyone who asks. That's what keeps this hobby alive!