Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1/12 scale Ford GT40

MrObsessive

Incidentally, there is no such thing as an Mk I. Previous versons of the GT 40 are just called "GT 40"!

Jairus -

You are right, but when the Mark II's and successive models came about, the first car became a Mark I by default. If you refer to a GT40 people will question "which one". If you say Mark I people know exactly which one you refer to. Not exactly correct but it keeps things tidy.

I realize that I may sound like I am in outer space, but I do not understand the logic of this kit. With the economy in the dumper, the cost of a 1/12 scale kit of this detail and quality will be way over $100.00. That severely limits the sales potential. There are so many great 1/24th scale kits of this car, why a big scale one, and besides, 1/12th scale kits take up so much room to display. Sure it will build up into a great looking kit, but to do it right, there will be photo etched aftermarket kits out there that will drive the cost of this kit to around $300.00 (My guess). I think, a well designed kit in 1/24th of the Ford GT40 mk 4, that is not easily available, and very desirable, would have a much wider audience and at a cost of around $50.00 to $60.00 it would be more attainable by the masses, besides, most of us who build race cars need that mk 4 to round out the collection of GT40’s. Ok, go ahead take your shots at my logic…I’m a big boy.

Here's some basic math on why they probably went large scale. Keep in mind these are ballpark numbers. Lets say your average 1/24th - 1/25th scale new tool kit costs $120,000 to produce. If the wholesale cost is $12.00 each, you need sell 10,000 kits to break even.

On the other hand, the production cost to make a new tool 1/12th or 1/8th scale kit is $200,000 which is only $80,000 more. Figure the wholesale cost is $40.00 each, you only need to sell 5,000 kits to break even. Now you know why so many large scale kits on currently on the market.

-Steve

I was just reading an article about Shelby American's involvement with the GT 40 program, according to that article, the 289-powered cars were most often refered to simply as the "GT" and the later cars were simply "Mk. II" and "Mk. IV"

But, it's not 1966 and we're not Ford race team members, are we?

I was just reading an article about Shelby American's involvement with the GT 40 program, according to that article, the 289-powered cars were most often refered to simply as the "GT" and the later cars were simply "Mk. II" and "Mk. IV"

But, it's not 1966 and we're not Ford race team members, are we?

The factory build sheets just say GT40 P - 1XXX no reference to Mk.s, I am sure the Mk. thing was something unoffically carry over from Lola.

The factory build sheets just say GT40 P - 1XXX no reference to Mk.s, I am sure the Mk. thing was something unoffically carry over from Lola.

That was kinda my point - that the people that worked on these cars didn't call 'em by the right name, so why should we worry about it? I'd rather say something wrong that people understand than be correct and have to explain myself.

That was kinda my point - that the people that worked on these cars didn't call 'em by the right name, so why should we worry about it? I'd rather say something wrong that people understand than be correct and have to explain myself.

If you really dig pretty deep into it all it's kind of confusing anyway.

What every one knows as the LeMans winning Gulf Mk.II is in fact a Mk.I reworked to 68 specs, which is already 1 of 4 cars that were specially built for the Gulf team and are different than all the other "Mk.Is", which further lends to the idea Mk.s, a British thing not an American thing, was a superficial nomenclature invented by most likely commentators to distinguish the difference, but if you follow the Mk.s it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, particularly when you throw in the 68-69 Mk I were as the 66 winner was a Mk II.

And is further complicated by the “J†car. I think the two 7.0 Mk. II warrant another Mk to themselves technically, and lets not forget the 351 cars, as well as the 4 Gulf Mk unique unto themselves. Is. Maybe it was the introduction of the Mk III, the road car that kinked it all up. In any event, there is just not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it.

Edited by CAL

If you really dig pretty deep into it all it's kind of confusing anyway.

What every one knows as the LeMans winning Gulf Mk.II is in fact a Mk.I reworked to 68 specs, which is already 1 of 4 cars that were specially built for the Gulf team and are different than all the other "Mk.Is", which further lends to the idea Mk.s, a British thing not an American thing, was a superficial nomenclature invented by most likely commentators to distinguish the difference, but if you follow the Mk.s it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, particularly when you throw in the 68-69 Mk I were as the 66 winner was a Mk II.

And is further complicated by the “J†car. I think the two 7.0 Mk. II warrant another Mk to themselves technically, and lets not forget the 351 cars, as well as the 4 Gulf Mk unique unto themselves. Is. Maybe it was the introduction of the Mk III, the road car that kinked it all up. In any event, there is just not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it.

Lets really complicate things and add the 3 Mirage's to mix as well as these were the 351 powered cars.

Also here is some tech info

Production #s

Prototypes:

coupes 5

roadsters 4

MKII coupes 2

X-1 roadster 1

Production:

Coupes racing 48

Coupes road 31

MKII coupes 8

MKIII:

LH Drive 4

RH Drive 3

Mirage Coupes 3

Alan Mann built cars:

Coupes (lightweight) 2

MKII Coupes 3

MK IV:

Proto J cars 3

Proto MKIV 1

Prod. MKIV 4

Spare MK IV tubs 2

G7A Can Am cars 2

Also ther were roughly 6-12 MKIII chassis that were never completed

Car Engine

GT40 MKI 260/289

GT40 road car 289

GT40 MKIII 289

Mirage 351

MKII 427

J car 427

MKIV 427

Hope this helps!!

Edited by bigphoto

Lets really complicate things and add the 3 Mirage's to mix as well as these were the 351 powered cars.

Also here is some tech info

Production #s

Prototypes:

coupes 5

roadsters 4

MKII coupes 2

X-1 roadster 1

Production:

Coupes racing 48

Coupes road 31

MKII coupes 8

MKIII:

LH Drive 4

RH Drive 3

Mirage Coupes 3

Alan Mann built cars:

Coupes (lightweight) 2

MKII Coupes 3

MK IV:

Proto J cars 3

Proto MKIV 1

Prod. MKIV 4

Spare MK IV tubs 2

G7A Can Am cars 2

Also ther were roughly 6-12 MKIII chassis that were never completed

Car Engine

GT40 MKI 260/289

GT40 road car 289

GT40 MKIII 289

Mirage 351

MKII 427

J car 427

MKIV 427

Hope this helps!!

Lets not forget the Mark IIa's and Mark IIb's - The B's were updated A's with differant heads and differant brake ducts. :P Everyone thinks of the cars as either Allen Mann or Shelby cars, lets don't forget about the Holman Moody cars(3rd place car in 1966). Oh, heck, they are just a mess. :lol:

Edited by Pete J.

• 3 months later...
Wonderif anyone will do some aftermarket?

From the description, it almost sounds like it already has all the aftermarket it needs - except for alternative decals, probably. In any event, this is likely to be the kit of the decade - for those that can pony up the bucks.

• 2 weeks later...