Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24 Chaparral Coupe Tis done 5-26

cobraman

After finishing the 1935 Mercedes I felt I needed something a bit more simple for my next build. Got a good deal on this kit on ebay . This kit looks to be very simple. No engine and not much interior detail. The body looks good to my eye. I wonder if this was ever a slot car body. I have a couple simple mods planned that should help it look a tad better.

finl500andnewbuild005_zps43590920.jpg

Edited by cobraman

Hi Ray. Yep it was intended as either a Curbside or Slot Car. The hole in the right rear (which'll need to be filled) is for a bar that went to a counter weight that made the Wing move on turns. There's also 4 openings in the cockpit that will need to be addressed. Oh, and because you want to keep it simple, build it as the Qualifying version not as Raced - You'll need to add an external kluge Oil Cooler for that.

Edited by Crazy Ed

Ed, if your around I m not sure what hole you mentioned that needs to be filled. Anyway, I filled a couple of sink holes on the rear sides of the body. I also drilled out where the exhaust pipes are so I can add either aluminum or plastic tubing. Body being primed now. Also you will see a photo of what represents the engine. I am going to try and improve this part at least a little.

chaparrel2001_zpsf5330135.jpg

chaparrel2002_zps109899c8.jpg

Shaun, first off thank you. Secondly, yes lately I have been building some of just about everything. I think that sometimes you need to use different styles of building and sometimes can learn something that you can apply to your other builds. It also helps me when I start to feel I am getting into a rut. I think before too long I will be building one of the 1/16 Cobra kits. Built one a long time ago when they were first released but it was destroyed by a nephew. I have 3 in my unbuilt Cobra collection and they have been catching my eye lately. : )