Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you do resins?

we have started the first course of Resin Basics that will be featured in the November issue. This is the start of a great series that I have been wanting to do for many many years. My thanks goes out to Art Anderson for his help with resin casting. Stay tuned!!!

There will be links to the column on the main site once the issues has been printed. I have a video to post also, but in the meantime, you can check out Mike from Alumilite's videos at: http://alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

Will, The series MAY take us there,and it probably will show us how to do a little more than the basics. Gregg HAS published "How To's" on basic casting before in the magazine, so it seems this may be more in depth, and may go as far as to actually mold a complete body. :);) (lets hope so)

Would I be able to use these same steps to mold something such as a truck body?

Not unless (or until) Gregg and I go through the process of making a full body shell. And therein lies the rub! Making simple parts is one thing, a body shell is a whole 'nuther animal indeed. (the same would be true of most cargo bodies).

If you are thinking of reproducing a production cab or truck body, you would be well-advised to consider the cost: The first full body I ever cast was the very rare (and today EXPENSIVE!) MPC '32 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I did that one in late December 1988, used about $40 worth of Silicone RTV rubber to get there--but bear in mind, I had my mind set firmly on going into the business of producing resin cast products commercially--so this was a "five finger" exercise--the result wasn't something I would have considered commercially viable at that stage of my knowledge or skills). Now, at that point in time, I was looking at going forward, learning. However, if I had as my goal making perhaps one or two for myself, likely I would have just built the styrene kit (I had, and still have, 3 of those kits). But compare the costs of reproducing something like that vs just building the thing--most generally, costs should tell you that it's not cost-effective.

Now, if you are thinking of doing a conversion of an existing truck body or cab, that's different--but even there, you need to consider a few things: Is there any advantage to building up a resin piece that you made solely for yourself, or do you plan to sell copies of it? If the first, probably again, the costs don't justify (at least for most people) going to all the work, and the considerable risk that you will damage, perhaps irreparably, the master you created--there are ways to minimize potential damage--by doing things in the process of converting/constructing the cab/body for use as a master.

But in any event, there is a definite learning curve involved, and especially with a full body shell or other large, hollow 3D unit, to get a decent part. That's a bit involved right at the moment, as Gregg and I are starting at the very beginning, the "training wheels on the bicycle" stage if you will.

Stay tuned to MCM, if this thing goes far enough, and Gregg is willing to do the work (I have no place in my apartment to do a full body shell, even if I wanted to, yet I still have ALL the equipment with which to do ome).

But in the bottom line, consider what it is you are thinking of casting, determine if the $$ it will cost are worth investing, as opposed to just building either an available (even if an out-of-production kit body, or your own conversion or scratchbuilt unit) versus just building it up all the way, or building that seemingly rare kit you may be thinking of.

Art

• 1 month later...

Thanks Art, I was the purpose behind this was that I wanted to make crew cab trucks (because I love the look) but I couldn't find them anywhere and the places that I did find them they were around 40$. I wasn't intending to sell them I just wanted to be able to create them myself instead of going out and purchasing them all the time.