Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something Completely Different - Vintage Travel Combo

Thanks for all of the comments guys. This has been a different kind of build and I'm really enjoying working with the wood

Still waiting on my order from Larry G Scale for the propane tanks. I need to make the base and hold down rod and crossbar before I can paint the frame. I'd really like to get this done soon so I can start mounting to the frame and floor.

I've been scouring the internet for marmoleum colors and patterns for the floor. May just go black and white checkerboard since its so 'soda fountain' looking but I never really care for it in a vintage trailer so probably not. I think it draws too much attention away from the beautiful cabinetry. I've drawn up some boomerang style pattern for the countertop and table surface that I'll probably just print out on photographic paper and mount it up.

The curbside booth is now done and I worked on the water tank under the streetside booth.I'll post some pictures later tonight.

As always, thanks for following along and comments welcomed.

Edited by gasser59

Hey, Brad. Check out Smilin' Jack's and Auntie Em's (one store), 5625 W. Glendale (SE corner 57th Ave & Glendale). Or, check their website, http://smilinjackstoys.com

It's a toy/pedal car/doll house emporium extraordinaire. If they don't have a flooring pattern/material to suit you, no one will. That's not even to mention the most extensive selection of detailing goodies (pots, pans, dishes, silverware, appliances and cupboard/cabinet stuffing items) you'll ever hope to see. They'll have cans and boxes of groceries, etc. You name it, they'll likely have it.

Ok, as promised, a bit of an update. The curbside (door side) of the trailer now has the the booth seat cabinet made. The streetside has the the fresh water tank along with the 12 volt water pump installed. For the tank, I used an old gas tank from a gas powered RC car that I've held onto for over 30 years. Can't believe I was finally able to put it to good use. Both of these booth seats have removable wooden covers with a scale finger hole. Not sure if I'll attempt to fabricate some small piano hinges or just have them lift off. They'll be covered under the seat cushions eventally. Inside the curbside booth seat cabinet will be the 12 volt battery or I may put it on the tongue. This will depend on how much room is left once I get those propane tanks in from Larry G Scale.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Cabinets2-vi.jpg

WaterPump-vi.jpg

Comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

Looking great so far. I have only one question....where does one go to tend to the call of nature?

One goes where one has gone for thousands of years, by out visiting nature. That's why they call it the call of nature. :D

Hopefully, they are in a campground that has bathrooms.

Hey, Brad. Check out Smilin' Jack's and Auntie Em's (one store), 5625 W. Glendale (SE corner 57th Ave & Glendale). Or, check their website, http://smilinjackstoys.com

It's a toy/pedal car/doll house emporium extraordinaire. If they don't have a flooring pattern/material to suit you, no one will. That's not even to mention the most extensive selection of detailing goodies (pots, pans, dishes, silverware, appliances and cupboard/cabinet stuffing items) you'll ever hope to see. They'll have cans and boxes of groceries, etc. You name it, they'll likely have it.

Thanks Danno. I'll go and check them out this week sometime. Sounds like just what I need. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Having a bunch of fun with this build. Got the fridge cabinet built but still needs to be stained and spar varnished. I'll post a pic or two once that is done. The two cabinet doors below the fridge got a different treatment from the rest of the doors. Stay tuned...

Finally, some concentrated bench time and was able to get the fridge and cabinet comleted although I still have the magazine rack and a couple of coat hooks to do yet. I also picked up the Open Road camper kit along with a '55 Chevy Pickup for the resin Suburban body which came in the mail yesterday. Now all that's left is the propane tanks and a bunch of bench time.

Suppose I should get going on the exterior which is why I picked up the camper kit. I am going to use the exterior water heater cover and a few other items and will try to get them cast in resin for another trailer down the road.

Here's a couple of progress pictures. Thanks for following along.

2v2usqW33xAhY3V.jpg

2v2usqW99xAhY3V.jpg

Edited by gasser59

The Suburban body came in the mail the other day and I spent about an hour so far rough cutting it in. This is my first experience with a resin body and I'm surprised about the thickness in some places. Overall, the quality is very good, just a few holes to fill in. Happy with my purchase and am looking forward to matching it up with the 55 Chevy pickup chassis, engine and the front of the interior. The back half of the interior wil be a challenge but I'm going to have alot of camping stuff in there so that should cover up the bed of the interior.

2v2ue6vCqxAhY3V.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Chris and Charlie. The Suburban body is a Jimmy Flintstone creation. It can be built either '55, '56 or '57 style. This afternoon after doing the initial trimming, I test fit the hood from the '55 stepside pickup and it doesn't quite fit so a bit of creative sanding will be in order.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...