Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '32 Ford

Junkman

It looks like since Revell has launched its modern Deuce kits, most modellers have walked away from the venerable AMT kits and never looked back.

However, if this hobby has a backbone, then the AMT '32 kits must be one of its vertebrae. They have served the community for what must be half a century now, and that, my friends, is history, no matter how you look at it.

Have the AMT kits been deservedly swept aside by Revell's effort?

There seem to be a few who do not think so, among them Bill Engwer and myself.

I hence suggest a community build-off.

- The build must be based on an AMT '32 Ford. It doesn't matter which issue or body style you use (This includes the Phantom Vickie).

- It must be a fresh build. Pulling an old build from your shelf and dusting it off is not permitted. Finishing off that slightly started project you have lying around for a decade or three is allowed, and restorations of glue bombs are also allowed.

- Unlimited use of aftermarket parts and kitbashing is permitted, EXCEPT FOR PARTS FROM ANY OF THE REVELL DEUCES!

That's right! Let's pretend it is still last century and the Revell kits have not yet been released.

So whatcha think, lads and ladettes?

I'm in. I've been stashing stuff for a chopped AMT 5-window build for a while. I've done a rough chop so far and that's it. This must be the time to get her going.

I have a feeling this thread is going to get bumped to community-builds........

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I would like to do one "Old School" this has always been one of my favs. One of my first kits ever built (actually second) was the AMT 5-window. Let's do it!!!

Yo! That's pretty much what I have in mind as well.

I only want to use parts and materials that were available way back when I started to build.

And I will brush paint mine.

The AMT 32's are like old friends to me ... they are the first hot rods I built when they were first released. I have one that's been on the bench, but I hear you about starting fresh. I know I'm too slow these days only building when I get the urge. I WILL be watching closely to be sure.

So, just to get some juices flowing, here's something that won't be in this build ... but will in spirit ...

32Fordwider_DSC0786.jpg

The AMT 32's are like old friends to me ... they are the first hot rods I built when they were first released. I have one that's been on the bench, but I hear you about starting fresh. I know I'm too slow these days only building when I get the urge. I WILL be watching closely to be sure.

So, just to get some juices flowing, here's something that won't be in this build ... but will in spirit ...

I also said started projects are allowed. Feel free to do this one. You're off to a good start anyway.

Edited by Junkman

Meh. I just spent two hours down in the dungeon rummaging for 32 Ford kits and guess what.

Now that's funny! I don't care who ya'are. :D

I also said started projects are allowed. Feel free to do this one.

Nope that theres a Revell chassis hidin' under there. :lol:

Now that's funny! I don't care who ya'are. :D

It would be funny, if it wasn't for that bleeding disease. What's its name again? A...A...Anaheimer, or sum such.

I found a gazillion things I had no idea I have, but didn't find a single AMT 32 of which I thought I have aplenty. But never mind, there are loads of them out there. I'll have a few next week.

Nope that theres a Revell chassis hidin' under there. :lol:

Well spotted!

Change chassis, or no go.

Edited by Junkman

I also said started projects are allowed. Feel free to do this one. You're off to a good start anyway.

My bad .. read too fast. Anyway, this could be a good excuse to get this one rolling again. And I'm about to finish my 2nd one this year very soon ... 2nd one in 15 years actually! :lol:

I've never done a community build before, so hope I don't screw this one up. I thought about doing Doctor Cranky's " Zombie Hunter" but, my idea was pretty lame, and there is still time I guess! I think I will try this one first, plus I like the simplicity of the old AMT kits. I know it's just for fun but, I hope I got the rules right. I'm in if it's OK to accept a beginner. And also when to post pictures and how many? I've noticed the detail guys go to on "Workbench" forum, is that what you are looking for?

Edited by rmvw guy

I've never done a community build before, so hope I don't screw this one up. I thought about doing Doctor Cranky's " Zombie Hunter" but, my idea was pretty lame, and there is still time I guess! I think I will try this one first, plus I like the simplicity of the old AMT kits. I know it's just for fun but, I hope I got the rules right. I'm in if it's OK to accept a beginner. And also when to post pictures and how many? I've noticed the detail guys go to on "Workbench" forum, is that what you are looking for?

You can post pictures here and when and as many as you like. There is no deadline. I hope this will be an ongoing thread, I suspect many people will build more than one.

Entirely independent of this community build, you can open an individual thread on The Workbench as well. It's really up to you.

I'm in if it's OK to accept a beginner. I've noticed the detail guys go to on "Workbench" forum, is that what you are looking for?

Ron, although we do have a group of world class builders here, the majority of us are in the beginner to intermediate range. And like you we are all here to improve our skills. Builders of all levels are encouraged to participate on this forum in any way. As for detail, you add as much as you are comfortable with, or just built it straight from the box. The important part is that you have a good time and do the best work that you can.

Christian, I'd planned to join in with a rebuild of my old roadster, but just realized it's based on the old Monogram kit. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

000_0123.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

That is for the "real" AMT '32 sedan as in the Willys/'32 Ford hotrod or issued on its own.

I had no idea it ever was available on its own. I always thought it only came in the Deuce/Willys double kit and is hence highly collectible. In any case, it is certainly the rarest of the bunch and this may reflect in the prices.

But you can get a resin body for less than a tenner. JF makes a 1:1 copy of the AMT body, and also a chopped version. He also makes 4-door bodies, stock and chopped.

I had no idea it ever was available on its own. I always thought it only came in the Deuce/Willys double kit and is hence highly collectible. In any case, it is certainly the rarest of the bunch and this may reflect in the prices.

It was released by itself in the '70s in the Street Rods series, like the Victoria and 5 window coupe. Neat kit.